What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

David

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by David » Sat May 28, 2016 12:54 pm

Some more nes games

Shatterhand
Punch out
River city ransom

I keep going to buy a nes on ebay then stop myself, thinking "what are you doing you idiot you have every nes game on your DS....."

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Sat May 28, 2016 2:28 pm

David wrote: I keep going to buy a nes on ebay then stop myself, thinking "what are you doing you idiot you have every nes game on your DS....."
I tried to convince myself that I didn't need a NES because the emulation was so good. It didn't work.

Now I'm turning back to emulation because I want to play import games and playing them on the real hardware poses the following problems:

- a regular PAL NES can't be modded for a 60Hz refresh rate
- an NTSC console can't be used on PAL television without RGB
- the NES doesn't support RGB without an expensive mod (even if you have the skills to do it yourself)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat May 28, 2016 2:51 pm

English Invader wrote:
David wrote: I keep going to buy a nes on ebay then stop myself, thinking "what are you doing you idiot you have every nes game on your DS....."
I tried to convince myself that I didn't need a NES because the emulation was so good. It didn't work.

Now I'm turning back to emulation because I want to play import games and playing them on the real hardware poses the following problems:

- a regular PAL NES can't be modded for a 60Hz refresh rate
- an NTSC console can't be used on PAL television without RGB
- the NES doesn't support RGB without an expensive mod (even if you have the skills to do it yourself)
NTSC consoles can be used on PAL TV's without an RGB mod - I used my USA NES and Japanese Famicom (AV modded) just by using a composite cable - the USA front loading "toaster" NES has composite inputs on the right side of the console and at least let you play games with a better picture quality compared to RF.

Then again, I ended up getting an RGB modded Famicom this year and never looked back, the quality is second to none and I personally prefer physical consoles to emulation. I don't get as many games as I'd like to though due to prices, but I'm happy spacing out my purchases (one or two a month).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

MES Records

Post by MES Records » Sat May 28, 2016 2:57 pm

Currently playing Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories. Is it weird that I like the battle system more than the original one?

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat May 28, 2016 4:25 pm

Currently playing through my Xbox erm collection to see if i can be bothered keeping it.

Not a lot persuading me but if i can get this softmod right then most of the games can go.

Tecmo Classic Arcade - Rygar? Surprised how bad and repetitive this game truly is. Got about 18 levels in and called it a day. I may keep this disc just for Bomb Jack and Solomons Key
Beyond Good and Evil - I do so love this game but I have the cube version and Id rather play that.
Toe Jam and earl 3 - despite the awful hiphop stereotyped and overplayed characters , Im quite enjoying the game. Should be able to switch off all but basic character sounds then id be happy.
Halo / Halo 2 - im going to keep these as I think they merit more time. Not my usual choice.
Fable - Ive tried to enjoy it , but its just bland and I care so little to carry on.
Mortal Kombat Deception - I should have known better , but never let it be said I dont at least try. Yawn.
Ninja Gaiden Black - Not totally loving this as the camera angles annoy me. If I can fix that , maybe I would enjoy more. Its in the keep pile.

Also currently playing
Tekken Prime on 3ds - hmm. Didnt pay much , its ok but no more.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat May 28, 2016 7:15 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Currently playing through my Xbox erm collection to see if i can be bothered keeping it.
I don't know if you're interested in Xbox recommendations but if you want some of the real gems I'd start looking for:

Blinx 1 & 2
Conker: Live & Re-Loaded
Crimson Sea
Dino Crisis 3
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Star Wars: KOTR
Star Wars: Republic Commando

Just some of my personal faves.

c0nfu53d

Post by c0nfu53d » Sat May 28, 2016 8:22 pm

Currently playing...

...Hey Ice King! Why'd You Steal Our Garbage?

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun May 29, 2016 10:31 am

Rayne wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:Currently playing through my Xbox erm collection to see if i can be bothered keeping it.
I don't know if you're interested in Xbox recommendations but if you want some of the real gems I'd start looking for:

Blinx 1 & 2
Crimson Sea
Dino Crisis 3
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Not a big fan of JSRF but was playing Jade Empire and SW Republic Commando and quite enjoyed them. Think ill be looking for exclusives like most on that list especially Dino Crisis 3 and Panzer Dragoon Orta as its not a console im too keen on but Im warming to it a bit.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 29, 2016 11:35 am

shiftytigger wrote:Tecmo Classic Arcade - Rygar? Surprised how bad and repetitive this game truly is. Got about 18 levels in and called it a day. I may keep this disc just for Bomb Jack and Solomons Key
Spent most of my time on Pinball Action on this comp - really fun I thought. Bombjack and Solomon's Key were the other big draws. I thought Rygar was garbage too though it was probably a product of its time.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun May 29, 2016 12:45 pm

I used to love both Solomons key and Bomb Jack on the speccy , vaguely remember hating Rygar back then too. Couple of Ok games on there but not an overall quality disc.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun May 29, 2016 1:52 pm

Spent most of my time this weekend working through Destiny's Iron Banner bounties. Had a surprising amount of decent games where I was the top scorer (it happens once in a while!). I think it helps that I have a nice combo of weapons currently, a nice powerful auto rifle and shotgun that shreds enemy health bars. Should hit max level in this event tomorrow with any luck.

Spent more time playing through the last few characters of Playstation Allstars on the VIta. Raiden and Heihachi have been great characters to use, Sackboy less so (he's not got many fun moves to use).

Also spent a little bit of time playing N++ on the PS4. Its a great platformer, completed a load more archive levels that were mainly straight forward, with a couple of pretty tricky ones thrown into the mix for fun. Not the best 2D platformer I've ever played but its still enjoyable. Plenty of content so its kept me coming back for some time. Not sure how long it'll take me to 100% the game though, the last levels are pretty darn difficult!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 29, 2016 3:23 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Rayne wrote:

Blinx 1 & 2
Crimson Sea
Dino Crisis 3
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Otogi
Panzer Dragoon Orta

Not a big fan of JSRF but was playing Jade Empire and SW Republic Commando and quite enjoyed them. Think ill be looking for exclusives like most on that list especially Dino Crisis 3 and Panzer Dragoon Orta as its not a console im too keen on but Im warming to it a bit.
Good to hear! Coincidentally I'm looking to sell my original Xbox collection and have a few of those. Feel free to drop me a PM if you're interested :)

Right now I'm playing lots and lots of Rocket League. Can't quite decide what game to play next..

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon May 30, 2016 3:38 am

Rayne wrote:
Right now I'm playing lots and lots of Rocket League. Can't quite decide what game to play next..
Some good games last night Rayne. We won more than we lost anyway! :D

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon May 30, 2016 8:21 am

sscott wrote:
Rayne wrote:
Some good games last night Rayne. We won more than we lost anyway! :D
That we did! :D Some of your goals were absolutely awesome! I need to improve on ball control, I always struggle when the ball is along the sides of the opponent's net.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon May 30, 2016 5:59 pm

Valkyria Chronicles Europa Edition (PS4) - Wanted something really different to play after AC: Syndicate and this certainly ticks the box, wasn't familiar with the series but Megamixer gave it glowing recommendation! Like how to story is split up into chapters in a book and the combat mechanics is ace!