What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

davyK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by davyK » Sun May 22, 2016 6:02 am

Playing a lot of Daytona on Dreamcast.I had it set up in work last week for a little time trial competition with the driving controller and since bringing it home have kept it set up. The wheel controller makes a huge difference with this game. I prefer the graphics to the XBL version.

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Sun May 22, 2016 11:09 am

Bioshock - the original on the PC. Yes, I know I'm behind the times - but in my defence - it's "retro". :lol: I'm liking the whole retroworld-under-the-sea look to it - and the storyline is intriguing. At the moment, the Big Daddies are hard to deal with - I think I need better weapons. I'm saving the Little Sisters. "Mr. Bubbles." :lol: They're creepy.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun May 22, 2016 11:23 am

downloaded the demo for Peggle 2 on xbla, really liked the original but completely missed the sequel.

silvergunner

Post by silvergunner » Sun May 22, 2016 9:03 pm

Rayne wrote:^I found the same thing, got to the university level with the mech robot thing and gave up. Waaaay too difficult and terrible friendly AI.

Right now I'm playing Hyperdimension Neptunia U, the Dynasty Warriors clone of the series. The gameplay is acceptable but, as usual with Neptunia, it's the visuals and story that steal the show. I'm grinding out lilly ranks which, at best guess, is going to be 15-20 hours of playing the same stage over and over again. Ugh :|
Glad I took the difficulty down as it's worth persevering. The second difficulty level is more like normal rather than the default setting. The AI is not great but once the guys have leveled up and have larger energy bars they last longer and you can heal them without panicking too much.

I to actually got stick at the university with the first major armoured enemy initially. You have to be quick and lift him and punt all your grenades at him. Should almost off quite quickly.

English Invader

Post by English Invader » Tue May 24, 2016 8:59 am

The Movies on PC. Sim where you build an old school film studio from the ground up. So addictive.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 24, 2016 11:29 am

Still working through Yakuza 1 for the PS4. I'm on chapter 8 now - I'm at the point where I'm about to go into Chinatown for a really awesome level/boss battle (which is one of my favourite parts of the game). I've also managed to level Kiryu up several times over so that 3/4 fighting styles have the majority of moves/heat moves unlocked. The game is now even more fun, since the combat is now way more fun due to how many more moves I have at my disposal. Also finally got my counter moves unlocked :mrgreen:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue May 24, 2016 12:07 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Also finally got my counter moves unlocked :mrgreen:
The Komaki Tiger Drop in 4 is ludicrously powerful...I demolished the colisseum and IF7R challenges with it amongst most other battles. Is there a similarly monstrous counter in remake then?
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue May 24, 2016 12:25 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Also finally got my counter moves unlocked :mrgreen:
The Komaki Tiger Drop in 4 is ludicrously powerful...I demolished the colisseum and IF7R challenges with it amongst most other battles. Is there a similarly monstrous counter in remake then?
I've not unlocked the Komaki counter yet, the Dojima style is heavily de powered at the beginning of the game (they use the excuse that Kiryu has gotten weaker after 10 years in prison). I should hopefully be getting it soon though.

Right now I've got 3 different "counters" - one for each style. For the default thug style you just have to block, and then hit triangle when an enemy hits you - you perform a great counter move that does a decent amount of damage, but more importantly you get loads of heat off the move. The boxing style counter doesn't deal any damage, but it does let you get behind the enemy ripe for a follow up attack which they can't block.
The heavy style lets you counter certain weapons - you hit block as soon as an enemy that hits you with a pole or baseball bat (or similar weapon) and the weapon flies out of the enemy's hand. Its a superb counter that lets you disarm enemies easily.

Plus there are tons of counter heat moves to use, and all look badass.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 25, 2016 2:58 pm

Ok, unlocked the Komaki Tiger Drop counter on Yakuza 1 now. And yes Megamixer its ludicrously powerful. I can plow through the hardest fighting arena tournaments with "ease" using it - that's if I can land the counter. Glad I finally have it unlocked, I'm going to have lots of fun now I have all the Komaki moves unlocked. Now just to fight Majima a few more times to unlock the rest of the Dojima style moves.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 26, 2016 2:38 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Ok, unlocked the Komaki Tiger Drop counter on Yakuza 1 now. And yes Megamixer its ludicrously powerful. I can plow through the hardest fighting arena tournaments with "ease" using it - that's if I can land the counter. Glad I finally have it unlocked, I'm going to have lots of fun now I have all the Komaki moves unlocked. Now just to fight Majima a few more times to unlock the rest of the Dojima style moves.
Sounds good! I thought they might have toned that down a bit but I guess it's balanced by the timing aspect. Once you've gotten it down though, it does make certain challenges a bit of a walkover!

I put Yakuza 4 again yesterday and finally finished off the Fighter Maker challenge. It was enjoyable and interesting to begin with but became a real drag, especially with the 3rd and 4th discliples who were a pain in the ass to train. Just a few more items to craft in the Weapon Modding section and that will be done too. A bit of a nightmare how you have to keep switching characters and trekking back to one of the weapons shops because each character has exclusive items available to buy. After Modding, I'll probably look to kill off the Hostess Maker challenge. Only have this, Heat Moves and some mini games left for the 100%...

Also promoted my first character in Warriors Orochi 3 and to be honest, I don't see the point at all. The officer gets reset to Lv.1 and their stats also drop right back down. The trade-off is that every level gained after that yields Upgrade Stones which can be used to boost that character's stats. Kinda silly since you're boosting stats that you've already dropped back down through promotion but I guess that multiple promotions and lots of Upgrade Stones may allow you to fully max each character's attributes...I think I'd prefer to just leave them at Lv.100! All the promoting and grinding may be worth it if you are going to sink a daft number of hours into the game to form an uber team. I don't think I'll take it that far though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri May 27, 2016 2:54 am

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Ok, unlocked the Komaki Tiger Drop counter on Yakuza 1 now. And yes Megamixer its ludicrously powerful. I can plow through the hardest fighting arena tournaments with "ease" using it - that's if I can land the counter. Glad I finally have it unlocked, I'm going to have lots of fun now I have all the Komaki moves unlocked. Now just to fight Majima a few more times to unlock the rest of the Dojima style moves.
Sounds good! I thought they might have toned that down a bit but I guess it's balanced by the timing aspect. Once you've gotten it down though, it does make certain challenges a bit of a walkover!

I put Yakuza 4 again yesterday and finally finished off the Fighter Maker challenge. It was enjoyable and interesting to begin with but became a real drag, especially with the 3rd and 4th discliples who were a pain in the ass to train. Just a few more items to craft in the Weapon Modding section and that will be done too. A bit of a nightmare how you have to keep switching characters and trekking back to one of the weapons shops because each character has exclusive items available to buy. After Modding, I'll probably look to kill off the Hostess Maker challenge. Only have this, Heat Moves and some mini games left for the 100%...
The timing is actually pretty forgiving for the counter in Kiwami, much more so than the original Yakuza 1. I actually find it easier to use compared to the circle (stun) counter this time round, so I just stick to the Tiger Drop when I'm in a pinch. I won't overuse it against bosses though, don't want to ruin the fun of the encounters, but it'll make the last few Majima fights I have to do more bearable.

I actually ended up really enjoying the fighter trainer side stuff in 4, I managed to find a decent routine (which I now forget) so I never really struggled too much with the fights. The only issues I had with the hostess stuff were that I never could figure out how to get the trophies associated with it (still short them) and I still felt the number of hostesses you had to date to 100% that part was too many (it was 7 in total?). Yakuza 5 did it best - having you only have to date 5, and at least had a decent enough story to keep you interested in this side story. Kiwami only has you date 2 girls (and Majima). Hopefully the remake of 2 follows suit and cuts the number of hostesses down, there was around 7-10? of them in 2 I think (I forget exactly, but it was far too many that's for sure).

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 27, 2016 3:29 am

Katzkatz wrote:Bioshock - the original on the PC. Yes, I know I'm behind the times - but in my defence - it's "retro". :lol: I'm liking the whole retroworld-under-the-sea look to it - and the storyline is intriguing. At the moment, the Big Daddies are hard to deal with - I think I need better weapons. I'm saving the Little Sisters. "Mr. Bubbles." :lol: They're creepy.
I don't want to put you off, but you're playing Bioshock at its absolute best right now. It is never more fun that when you start taking on Big Daddies and you find yourself having to build up for it and the fights themselves are tense - they get less so the more you power up.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 27, 2016 12:08 pm

Made a start on Kula World for PS1. Been wanting to play the full game ever since constantly hammering the demo back in the late 90's but it was only last year that I finally got a copy! Really enjoying it too so I'm glad it lived up to my expectations...such a simple, puzzley concept which still feels quite fresh today.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 27, 2016 8:57 pm

Katzkatz wrote:Bioshock - the original on the PC. Yes, I know I'm behind the times - but in my defence - it's "retro". :lol: I'm liking the whole retroworld-under-the-sea look to it - and the storyline is intriguing. At the moment, the Big Daddies are hard to deal with - I think I need better weapons. I'm saving the Little Sisters. "Mr. Bubbles." :lol: They're creepy.
If you like BioShock, check out System Shock 2 too, it's like a more complex, more tense sci-fi version of BioShock. I was playing it with a friend in co-op and it was pretty fun although I suggest you try it out on your own at the first time as it will be more atmospheric. It's one of the best first-person sci-fi role playing games ever made and a game that requires a brain to play.

outdated_gamer

Post by outdated_gamer » Fri May 27, 2016 8:59 pm

English Invader wrote:The Movies on PC. Sim where you build an old school film studio from the ground up. So addictive.
That's a overlooked gem, yes. It's too bad most younger players know Lionhead just by the Fable games - they also made the great Black & White and it's sequel and The Movies, a rather unique movie creating game.