What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Antiriad2097

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun May 08, 2016 5:03 am

Inspired by the current mag, I'm playing Quake 2 on my netbook, single player, natch. Finally got it running, only needed to rename one file.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 08, 2016 4:22 pm

shiftytigger wrote:Toejam and earl 3. What the hell did they do to them. What would be an ok 3d standard collect em up is almost completely ruined by overplayed racial stereotypes. I think they would have been better to give them Jay and Silent bob style voice overs rather than this. Or silence. Funk i can live with but this is more hip hop characterisation.

Also for a game with an 11+ rating some of the 'jokes' are a bit too close for my comfort.
This was one of my Xbox favourites. Yeah, there definitely some racial stereotyping but I personally found it amusing (especially Earl).

"Mouldy Cabbage...mmm...not baaaaaayyd"

It was the level design, music and 32bit platformer 'feel' that I enjoyed the most though. Definitely some frustrating elements (hate the presents system and some of the enemies are horrendously annoying) but overall I will probably miss it when I sell my Xbox stuff off soon. Hopefully it gets re-released in the future.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun May 08, 2016 4:32 pm

As for me, I've hammered Orochi 3 some more this afternoon and finally managed to get Ayane who has gone straight into my team. Had enough stockpiled growth points to bring her straight up to speed with my other two party members which was nice. Love her Musou attack too - really powerful and handy against large crowds.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon May 09, 2016 4:12 am

I was playing Uncharted 2 until my second PS3 phat went pop :(

Time to invest in a Super Slim I guess. After I've retrieved the disc from the entrails of the dead console.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon May 09, 2016 4:37 am

Playing lots of Velocity 2X on my Vita. The game has really ramped up in difficulty, stage 40 is a right bastard to beat the par time on, as it requires perfect precision and you can't die at any point either. Plus you have to practically run through the entire stage... damn rewarding when you finally manage it though!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Mon May 09, 2016 7:15 am

theantmeister wrote:I was playing Uncharted 2 until my second PS3 phat went pop :(

Time to invest in a Super Slim I guess. After I've retrieved the disc from the entrails of the dead console.
Funny you should say that, Uncharted 2 was the game that killed my original 40 GB system :evil:.

I've been playing Tropico 5 recently. It's a fun game, really great humour. My only complaint is the tutorial is extremely light in content. There are so many complex systems and seemingly hidden cause/effect relationships that I found myself very quickly out of my depth. Tbh I don't know if I can be bothered playing it again :?

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon May 09, 2016 2:11 pm

Been playing the Overwatch Beta. Pleasantly surprised so far. Basically like Team Fortress 2 but with lots more classes to choose from. Some really nice touches like game highlights and ultra attacks. Might actually end up grabbing this as I'm on quite the online binge at the moment.

Also been playing a few fighting games on my Saturn as SFV doesn't really tickle my pickle. I enjoy the game but get fed up waiting for online games :(

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon May 09, 2016 2:44 pm

With DOOM builder

Yes, im starting to make my own maps

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon May 09, 2016 2:53 pm

Battlefield 4 online multi. Still excellent despite EA's constant tinkering.

Battlefield: Hardline online multi. The game that was squeezed out the arse of Battlefield 4 and dropped stinking on our consoles with no apology. I doubt the stain of it will ever really wash clean.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

David

Post by David » Tue May 10, 2016 2:44 pm

Mario Kart DS after discovering it has n64 gba and gamecube tracks too

Only played a few but I am hoping wario stadium is in there

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue May 10, 2016 3:53 pm

More making in Doombuilder

Making a venue that I think quite a few forum members have been to, for a custom death match map for it

Then to make it single player

Then to mod some sprites to make a old ZX81 game homage

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed May 11, 2016 10:58 am

Assassins Creed: Syndicate (PS4) - About 50% through the story line and got half of the areas fully unlocked, feels a lot smaller in comparison to Unity and I am already way over powered for most "sequences"...current thinking, despite the bugs, Unity was a much better AC game.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed May 11, 2016 12:38 pm

Gungeon still has its hooks in me, have yet to get past the third floor though.
Black Ridge wrote:Been playing the Overwatch Beta. Pleasantly surprised so far. Basically like Team Fortress 2 but with lots more classes to choose from. Some really nice touches like game highlights and ultra attacks. Might actually end up grabbing this as I'm on quite the online binge at the moment.
I wasn't sure what to expect going in, but the beta had me hooked. Mercy and D.Va are so damn fun to use. The only character I didn't like was Mei, she feels like the ultimate troll if used well. The PotG feature needs work though!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu May 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Had a gaming sesh with a friend today...

Rocket League - Absolutely brilliant game, some of the best local co-op play we've had in a long, long time. Nearly broke my mate's controller...and window :oops: ...when I scored a game-winning goal at the last second.

Mario Kart 8 - Played online. Same 6 courses getting picked over and over, bah.

Animal Crossing Amiibo Festival - There is literally no game here, at all. You just roll dice for half an hour while the game plays itself. For as lackluster as it is...I kind of enjoyed it :oops: it was a nice break.

SFV - Really unimpressed. Nowhere near as fun as IV and arguably worse-looking. Certainly won't be on my to-buy list.

Smash Bros - Charizard FTW.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri May 13, 2016 3:33 am

Warcraft 3. Another game I've started 10 times, but never finished. This time will be different!