What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:39 am

Battlefield 4 (PS4) - Got a bunch of work mates in a platoon and we play most Friday/Saturday nights, has made the game much more enjoyable and less annoying when you have a group of people working with you to capture flags and destroy things.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:22 am

IronMaidenRule wrote:Battlefield 4 (PS4) - Got a bunch of work mates in a platoon and we play most Friday/Saturday nights, has made the game much more enjoyable and less annoying when you have a group of people working with you to capture flags and destroy things.
I enjoyed BF4, had a couple mates to play it with. I see BF5 has been leaked as WW2 in Russia

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun May 01, 2016 7:11 pm

Still playing through Hyperdimension Neptunia on Vita. 25 hours in and I'm completely addicted, spent several hours today crafting all sorts of different items and ignoring the main story :oops:. Can't wait to play more tomorrow, hopefully I can push through chapter 5!

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed May 04, 2016 1:03 pm

Party Hard on Xbox One. I'm enjoying it.

Also giving Bulletstorm a revisit on 360. Forgot how good it was. Another great game that deserves a sequel.

And dipping in and out of Hyper Light Drifter on PC. Indie hipsters are gushing mightily over it. The worship is undeserved but it's still a decent enough game.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed May 04, 2016 1:06 pm

Lego city undercover. A real pleasure to play and some real lol moments on cut scenes.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Wed May 04, 2016 2:38 pm

The Beans wrote:Party Hard on Xbox One. I'm enjoying it.

Also giving Bulletstorm a revisit on 360. Forgot how good it was. Another great game that deserves a sequel.
Yeah I've been playing Party Hard on the PS4. Initially it annoyed me because it's so close to being Hidden In Plain Sight, it just made me lament the fact that that's not on PSN. But I've grown to it a fair bit.

Bulletstorm was just a ton of fun. I expected nothing from it and it did that great thing of never being boring. Something a lot of more celebrated games don't manage.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed May 04, 2016 2:45 pm

Bluce_Ree wrote:
The Beans wrote:Party Hard on Xbox One. I'm enjoying it.

Yeah I've been playing Party Hard on the PS4. Initially it annoyed me because it's so close to being Hidden In Plain Sight, it just made me lament the fact that that's not on PSN. But I've grown to it a fair bit.
You know what, I deliberately didn't mention Hidden In Plain Sight in my post because I assumed nobody on here would have heard of it.
Award yourself a Gold Star for having played the best local multiplayer game ever made.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 04, 2016 5:41 pm

Warriors Orochi 3 Ultimate has finally clicked with me. It's a weird one because there's really not much to the gameplay at all and I can't for the life of me remember any of the characters' names but it has become highly compulsive. So far I've just cleared Chapter 1 (though some more extra missions have opened up so I'll have to go back for those) and I've remained focused on a singular trio of characters rather than swapping about with the constant stream of new ones. I've stuck with Ma Chao and Sima Zhao from the starting line-up and briefly experimented with Kunoichi (not damaging enough for my liking) before settling on Wang Juanji for the third member. Probably won't switch again until I get some of the guest characters that I want to play as, mostly Sophitia or Ayane.

Weapon fusion is cool but does anybody know (probably just asking Shadowman here!) what the weapons at the Blacksmiths' store that are rated with one giant star are? The stats are rubbish but they cost in excess of 20,000 gems. I can only assume that you are paying for the privilege of a weapon with a unique visual appearance? I bought one for Ma Chao and transferred all of my skills across via weapon fusion in the hope that something would happen but no. Couldn't see anything on this in the electronic manual either.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed May 04, 2016 6:40 pm

Yeah, I don't get the joke weapons either. They are crazy looking weapons (like giant corn cobs) but the stats suck so I never buy them). I just stick with level 3/4 weapons now that they are easy to get (in chapter 4).

As for guest characters, from chapter 2 onwards they appear thick and fast. You should already have access to two Dead or Alive looking stages - where Ayane and Ryu turn up (and I really like Ryu, I've got him up to around level 55 now with a good level 4 weapon!).
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 pm

ShadowMan wrote:Yeah, I don't get the joke weapons either. They are crazy looking weapons (like giant corn cobs) but the stats suck so I never buy them). I just stick with level 3/4 weapons now that they are easy to get (in chapter 4).

As for guest characters, from chapter 2 onwards they appear thick and fast. You should already have access to two Dead or Alive looking stages - where Ayane and Ryu turn up (and I really like Ryu, I've got him up to around level 55 now with a good level 4 weapon!).
Honestly thought I was missing something with those. Shame as some of the spears and swords look awesome but I'm loathe to waste gems buying them and then paying out to fuse all of my current abilities onto the new (overpriced) weapon. I'm on Lv.3 weapons now thankfully.

Only guest character I have so far is some bloke with a cat on his shoulder from Chapter 1. I'm assuming he's a guest because the game implies that he came through a time instability but I don't recognise him.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu May 05, 2016 3:23 am

Still playing Uncharted 2 and I'm really enjoying it! I was a little worried at the start, where if a guard spots you, you die. I was having Last of Us Clicker flashbacks :shock:, but that doesn't seem to have carried over to the next stage.

The dialogue is excellent. Some of it elicited an actual out loud chuckle.

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Thu May 05, 2016 5:17 am

I enjoyed Uncharted 2 more than 3. Its linear, but didn't bore me, there's enough new sights to see to keep you going. Not too long either.

I tried to play the original System Shock this week, but bailed early doors because of the appaling interface. Clearly from the days before FPS were the norm, it has no idea how to do it. There's icons to look up and down, icons to crouch, way too many menus and things... barely playable now we know better. Wouldn't be so bad but it throws you right in so you have to look up and down almost immediately while you're still getting to grips with basic movement and manipulation of things.

Also gave Theme Hospital another try. Still don't like it. Too managerial, too much like work. I'd rather play Civ or similar, feels more like exploration and stuff instead of man management.

Would have played Quake II, but for some reason the version I downloaded from GoG doesn't want to start on my netbook. Other later games have run fine on it so I thought it'd be ok, but its being quirky and I don't have regular internet access to work out the problem right now.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu May 05, 2016 11:32 am

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:Yeah, I don't get the joke weapons either. They are crazy looking weapons (like giant corn cobs) but the stats suck so I never buy them). I just stick with level 3/4 weapons now that they are easy to get (in chapter 4).

Honestly thought I was missing something with those. Shame as some of the spears and swords look awesome but I'm loathe to waste gems buying them and then paying out to fuse all of my current abilities onto the new (overpriced) weapon. I'm on Lv.3 weapons now thankfully.

Only guest character I have so far is some bloke with a cat on his shoulder from Chapter 1. I'm assuming he's a guest because the game implies that he came through a time instability but I don't recognise him.
Unlock LuBu

Hes all you need as hes a double ard bastard that you do not want to spill the pint of

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu May 05, 2016 12:32 pm

Savage Moon on ps3. Not normally into tower defense stuff but this one has me hooked. Plus endless Rocket league. Ha!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu May 05, 2016 12:54 pm

Working on finishing off Star Fox 0 before Uncharted 4 gets here. I've got 68/70 medals now. Just got one more collectathon on Zoness to do (oh joy) and a no damage run on Section Omega to complete (shouldn't be too bad once I figure out a couple of sticking points. SF0 is definitely a game that gets better the more you play it. My first playthrough thoughts were that it was an average game that I wasn't a big fan of. Now that I'm more accustomed to the way the scoring and controls work I'm enjoying it loads, there are a few dud levels and some bosses I'm not a big fan of but on the whole the level design seems really solid, which already makes me want to replay it loads.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*