What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

RetroMartin

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by RetroMartin » Wed Mar 16, 2016 7:49 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:
Sel Feena wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:The Division on PS4, man this game is good especially when teaming up with friends
How does it stack up against Destiny, if you've played that?
I've played a LOT of Destiny :) They're very different games apart from the loot aspect. If you like that side of things then you'll probably like this.

Plus there's crafting in this,with materials to find everywhere and you can deconstruct weapons and armour. From those you can make higher grade materials to turn into better loot. There's plenty of side missions and collectables to find for the all important XP too. The story so far seems interesting although I've only completed 4 of them. We keep getting distracted with all the side missions, which can only be a good thing. There's also cosmetic only drops so you can really make yourself look very different to other players. Something that Destiny didn't really do, but I'm sure they'll fix that in the next one.

We haven't even touched the Dark Zone(the PVP area) which apparently has better loot and sounds quite tense, where people you were teaming up with against the AI can suddenly turn on you and steal everything! It adds an extra layer to your standard MP experiences.From people I've spoken to that have been in there it's very good.

Hoping to get back on it on Tuesday night though as my friends and I have limited times we're all available and we're trying to progress at the same rate.

Overall so far so good and apart from a couple of server issues which I think caught Ubisoft with their pants down because from what I've read it's sold extremely well. We're all in agreement that this game is going to see us through for a long time as our co-op game of choice.
I also have been playing this and with a squad its mental! The dark zone is quote good fun, albeit infuriating. It has its own xp/level system, if you get it high you can purchase some fantastic kit to take back into the main game. The risk of assisting or hindering other players in the DZ is also fun as it can backfire spectacularly for you and you lose more DZ XP and credits.

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:37 am

Playing a bunch of indie gash.

McDroid - clumsy tower defence game where the visuals just get in the way of the already mediocre gameplay.

Square Heroes - initially awful looking Rocket Riot clone with Worms-esque graphics. Totally multiplayer focused, although it does have a single player campaign with the worst boss I've ever seen. Actually more fun than I initially thought but not great.

Assault Android Cactus - twin-stick shooter which is getting some rave reviews. Genuinely average in my opinion and let down by some horrendous boss battles. Hmph!

Tetraminos - Tetris but throws in 1,2,3 and 5 piece blocks. Pretty standard stuff.

Back on Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2 on the PS1 emulator on RetroPie.
Last edited by Bluce_Ree on Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Thu Mar 17, 2016 7:31 am

Agreed ^^ We went into the DZ on Tuesday and it started out so well my mate and I took down some higher levelled enemies and I picked up some nice armour and guns that were significantly better than what I was using. Someone else called in an extraction and on the way to that we took out some more enemies and got even more.

This is where the fun began, my friend decided to try and take out more before the extraction. I said to him to leave it but he insisted. I tried to tell him we could leave get the loot and come back more powerful, but no he knew best. As there were other players there also taking out these enemies he said didn't need my help so I went to the helicopter and extracted my loot.

He got killed and one of the other players stole his loot :lol:

We went back in to try and get more but he kept rushing in rather than taking his time and since the enemies are more powerful in the DZ he kept getting taken out. I got more loot, better loot. :D

Things got funnier from there(for me) we tried again and this time he was more cautious, we got some loot mine not as good as what I had already equipped but I knew I could break it down for materials. He'd picked up a sweet shotgun and body armour and someone called in an extraction. While we were waiting for the extraction a group of enemies rushed us and in the firefight he shot another player turning us Rogue.

He got killed and, you guessed it the player stole his loot :lol:

Brutal!

TLDR: This game is amazing and harsh at the same time!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Mar 17, 2016 4:48 pm

Up to chapter 30-ish in Project X Zone 2 now. Just like the original, the battles are getting more and more ridiculous with swarms of enemies and 4-5 bosses per stage. The story is also frequently straying onto lots of different tangents - any excuse to suddenly get warped to some other world and fight a load of enemies before getting back on track, going somewhere else etc. etc. Losing count of how many times I've had to kill Nemesis!

I'm still finding the game compulsive though despite the repetitiveness so the power of the crossover must still be strong!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:00 pm

Megamixer wrote:Up to chapter 30-ish in Project X Zone 2 now. Just like the original, the battles are getting more and more ridiculous with swarms of enemies and 4-5 bosses per stage. The story is also frequently straying onto lots of different tangents - any excuse to suddenly get warped to some other world and fight a load of enemies before getting back on track, going somewhere else etc. etc. Losing count of how many times I've had to kill Nemesis!

I'm still finding the game compulsive though despite the repetitiveness so the power of the crossover must still be strong!
Nemesis is back? I've just done a late stage in the original where 3! of him and several Tyrants also pop up. Good thing I love the character that much! Only thing that really annoys me though is the text for Nemesis names him "Peruser" despite Chris/Jill etc. referring to him by his proper name.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:57 am

^ Brilliant! Makes it sound like he spends the weekends browsing old bookshops.

Starting off on Megadimension Neptunia, feels like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. Never change, Nep.
And also a fair bit of Broooooofoooooorce
Last edited by Sel Feena on Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:18 am

Link's crossbow training. Surprisingly well produced for a pack-in game for a plastic wiimote holder!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Fri Mar 18, 2016 5:19 am

Galaga Destination Earth PS1; considering it's done by the guy who did Cybernoid & Zynapps it's surprisingly easy!! My first game lasted forever got to about chapter 18 and had yet to lose a life, I was practically falling asleep at this point.. I failed to collect a life pod in time due to the terrible control in the 3D section game over even though I had all my lives..

Ronin Blade PS1 I remember this looking brilliant it looks terrible now and plays really slowly it's also seems overly hard in how much energy you lose.. There is a generally horrifying scene near the beginning that freaked me out a bit totally Unexpected!! Ninja girl goes to search her friends house and he turns up when she leaves.. The usual so glad your alive then he removes his mask to reveal a grinning skull with most of its flesh missing.. That's what survival horror should be and there's me thinking it was like Tenchu as in no monsters only men..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

TheNewMonkey

Post by TheNewMonkey » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:23 am

Gravity Rush HD PS4, started it on the vita years ago but never finished it, I think I'm around half way through now so will hopefully complete it over the weekend.
Love the games setting & the floating mechanics, can't wait for the sequel.
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:15 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Up to chapter 30-ish in Project X Zone 2 now. Just like the original, the battles are getting more and more ridiculous with swarms of enemies and 4-5 bosses per stage. The story is also frequently straying onto lots of different tangents - any excuse to suddenly get warped to some other world and fight a load of enemies before getting back on track, going somewhere else etc. etc. Losing count of how many times I've had to kill Nemesis!

Nemesis is back? I've just done a late stage in the original where 3! of him and several Tyrants also pop up. Good thing I love the character that much! Only thing that really annoys me though is the text for Nemesis names him "Peruser" despite Chris/Jill etc. referring to him by his proper name.
Haha, yeah I remember that stage and thinking "Shiiiiiii-"

Without spoiling the story too much, one of the villainous groups in the sequel is producing B.O.Ws including Dead Souls zombies and old Umbrella projects. Think Nemesis has popped up 3 or 4 times already with a load of Super Tyrants in tow. They refer to it/him as the Nemesis T-Type so they must have fixed/changed that 'pursuer' thing :) . I actually find it really amusing how the Nemesis changes from saying "Stars" to "B.S.A.....AAAAA..." :lol:

There's a chapter in the mid 20's that I think you'll like - quite a bit of Megaman-themed stuff with several villains involved :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 18, 2016 2:55 pm

Sounds good, can't wait to see the Mega Man stuff. I know Vile is back and Sigma is now in the game as well (woo!). I should have the first game finished over the next week or so, after that I'll grab the sequel.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

RodimusPrime

Post by RodimusPrime » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:06 pm

I need to pick up project X zone as it looks really interesting.

Funnily enough I have the japamese limited edition but thats obviously no good to me. ( stupidly never realised at the time that region locking had returned with the 3DS )

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:25 pm

I managed 24 minutes of Lords Of The Fallen on Xbox One. In that time I engaged a handful of ponderous enemies in ponderous combat on various types of steps and staircases and it occurred to me that, amazingly, there was an rpg even more dull than Dark Souls and I was currently playing it.

So it was back to Far Cry Primal for me and more riding about on a sabretooth tiger while headshotting the enemy tribe with bits of flint before going full tilt off a massive waterfall into deadly combat with a prehistoric croc thing. Now that's more like it!
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:49 pm

Pokemon yellow re-release on the 3DS store. Felt it would be fun to get yellow as while i played all three i played yellow the least.

I also picked up pokemon blue in german for the wife to play, some of the pokemon names are hilarious!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Mar 25, 2016 7:22 am

Been playing quite a few different Capcom retro arcade games over the last couple of days.

I've played through Trojan now around 5 times. I've got 90%ish percent of the game down pretty well, its only really the final boss that causes me issues now, and the stage 5 double team boss battle. Stage 5's boss might be the hardest thing about this game, if you can't get first enemy defeated quick then its pretty much impossible to win! Its worth noting that the PS2 Capcom Collection has better controller configuration - it has a dedicated button to jump, as opposed to the PS3 arcade release which does not, so you have to use up to jump. And the PS3 pad sucks for this game (analogue stick is better, but not ideal). I do love the game now though, its bastard hard, but damn fun at the same time!

Speed Rumbler is another game I've been playing and this was a surprisingly fun game. I went into this expecting to hate the game, but ended up really enjoying it. Its a top down racing/shoot em up hybrid that favours racing through the levels rather than shooting the enemies (wastes too much time and health). Pity that the NES version of the game was canceled, as I'd loved to have played a console port of this (especially if it was like Section Z and Gun Smoke and retooled the game for consoles rather than just be a straight port).

I tried Commando on the PS3 Capcom arcade cab and gave up since the game doesn't have continues. I much prefer the Saturn version for this reason alone as you can continue.
I'm not bad at the game (sort of) but I can't 1CC it either in my lifetime! Not having an option to enable continues in this port is a pretty crappy exclusion in my opinion. Plus the PS3 controller sucks for the game, the Saturn pad is so much superior for this game...