What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

sscott

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by sscott » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:10 am

My son has been playing Lego Jurassic Park, bit more varied than some other Lego titles. I have just earned a platinum trophy on Rocket League, loved every minute of it!

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:40 pm

nightydog wrote:FFXI for free on my PC brings me back.
When did it become free

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:00 pm

^ Since the spammer forgot to include a link to a virus-laden fake website.

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Grey Goo on the PC.

Not retro but a year old now and on the new Humble Bundle. If you like RTS then this will be right up your street - proper old school stuff with no zooming 5 meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeelion miles out. Just good old - Harvest - build - attack - expand :D
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

BarbaricAvatar

Post by BarbaricAvatar » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:45 am

Still plodding through Pokemon Ruby on the GBA. As a type of game that i've avoided for so long, i can't say i'm not enjoying myself on my train journies. I don't have any urge to buy any others in the series though.
No, i'm not angry. That's just how i write.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:18 am

Gun.Smoke for the Famicom Disk System. Thankfully rather than trying to port the arcade game 1:1 Capcom instead took the basic concept of Gun.Smoke and tightened it up. I couldn't enjoy the later levels of the arcade game as the difficulty level became completely insane for the boss fights which drove me mad. This game has a kinder difficulty setting that is still challenging enough, but actually doable this time. Shops are also introduced so you can buy new weapons which come in insanely useful when playing through the levels and make bosses easier still (but they still aren't complete push overs. Top this off with great graphics, music and a very smooth and mostly flicker free game and you've got my favourite version of Gun.Smoke.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

PrimalScientist

Post by PrimalScientist » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:20 pm

Just popped Gears of War Ultimate back into the XB1. Looking forward to the next instalment though, especially with Horde.
When that thing gets released I will be posting on here for others to jump on Horde!!

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Mar 13, 2016 8:29 am

The Division on PS4, man this game is good especially when teaming up with friends.

Rise of the Tomb Raider on Xbox one as good if not better than the reboot.

Zelda: Phantom Hourglass on the DS. I thought I wouldn't get on with the touch controls but they work so well. Just about to start the 3rd dungeon. I'm actually enjoying it more than Windwaker. Such a charming game.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:58 pm

Really enjoying Far Cry Primal. I was a bit disheartened to see the drug-induced vision missions make a tedious return but apart from that it's a solid game up to now.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:41 pm

The Last Ginja wrote:The Division on PS4, man this game is good especially when teaming up with friends
How does it stack up against Destiny, if you've played that?

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:08 pm

Sel Feena wrote:
The Last Ginja wrote:The Division on PS4, man this game is good especially when teaming up with friends
How does it stack up against Destiny, if you've played that?
I've played a LOT of Destiny :) They're very different games apart from the loot aspect. If you like that side of things then you'll probably like this.

Plus there's crafting in this,with materials to find everywhere and you can deconstruct weapons and armour. From those you can make higher grade materials to turn into better loot. There's plenty of side missions and collectables to find for the all important XP too. The story so far seems interesting although I've only completed 4 of them. We keep getting distracted with all the side missions, which can only be a good thing. There's also cosmetic only drops so you can really make yourself look very different to other players. Something that Destiny didn't really do, but I'm sure they'll fix that in the next one.

We haven't even touched the Dark Zone(the PVP area) which apparently has better loot and sounds quite tense, where people you were teaming up with against the AI can suddenly turn on you and steal everything! It adds an extra layer to your standard MP experiences.From people I've spoken to that have been in there it's very good.

Hoping to get back on it on Tuesday night though as my friends and I have limited times we're all available and we're trying to progress at the same rate.

Overall so far so good and apart from a couple of server issues which I think caught Ubisoft with their pants down because from what I've read it's sold extremely well. We're all in agreement that this game is going to see us through for a long time as our co-op game of choice.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:21 pm

^ Sounds great. I actually really love the fruit machine aspect of Destiny, very enjoyable. I need to get back to playing more of it before considering something else though. The betrayal mechanic sounds like it could lead to lots of swearing!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:00 pm

Tekken 5
Wow! I really think they wanted to make the last guy so unbelievably annoying.
Think the rest of the cast in the game will remain unlocked as I really cant be arsed fighting such cheapness

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Mar 15, 2016 5:01 pm

Something that ive been meaning to try for a few years, finally bit the bullet today

SO F**KING INTENSE!!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:20 pm

DPrinny wrote:Tekken 5
Wow! I really think they wanted to make the last guy so unbelievably annoying.
Think the rest of the cast in the game will remain unlocked as I really cant be arsed fighting such cheapness
I used to rage quit at Jinpachi back in the day but the key is to avoid his fireballs with side steps and just get in there and keep hitting him with quick combos. Keep the pressure on him. He's nothing compared to the ultra cheap Azazel and Nancy in Tekken 6 anyway - those gits were the final straws in a what I consider the least enjoyable Tekken.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.