What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Wed Mar 02, 2016 4:53 am

The Beans wrote:
Rayne wrote:Finally got around to giving Shovel Knight a proper go today. Beat three bosses and so far I'm really enjoying it! :) love the retro aesthetic (even if it's been done to death by now) and the soundtrack is absolutely superb. Difficulty is just right, hard bosses, levels and traps but I'm muddling my way through.
I like the idea of Shovel Knight and the gameplay seems pretty good and the retro art style is easy on the eye. I pretty much enjoyed what I played of it right up until the bosses started turning up too regularly. Then I binned it and I'll probably never return. Bosses are game kilers for me these days. At least, in games like Shovel Knight they are. They're not even that tough tbh. I just can't be arsed learning yet another boss after I've already learned and beaten hundreds of examples of the same old crap over too many years of gaming. It just isn't worth the effort.
Hmm, we'll have to see how it goes then! The first few bosses have been challenging to start but it was easy enough to learn their patterns. Definitely not a fan of boss rush modes or difficult, multi-level bosses...

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Wed Mar 02, 2016 5:19 am

Rayne wrote:
The Beans wrote:
Rayne wrote:Finally got around to giving Shovel Knight a proper go today. Beat three bosses and so far I'm really enjoying it! :) love the retro aesthetic (even if it's been done to death by now) and the soundtrack is absolutely superb. Difficulty is just right, hard bosses, levels and traps but I'm muddling my way through.
I like the idea of Shovel Knight and the gameplay seems pretty good and the retro art style is easy on the eye. I pretty much enjoyed what I played of it right up until the bosses started turning up too regularly. Then I binned it and I'll probably never return. Bosses are game kilers for me these days. At least, in games like Shovel Knight they are. They're not even that tough tbh. I just can't be arsed learning yet another boss after I've already learned and beaten hundreds of examples of the same old crap over too many years of gaming. It just isn't worth the effort.
Hmm, we'll have to see how it goes then! The first few bosses have been challenging to start but it was easy enough to learn their patterns. Definitely not a fan of boss rush modes or difficult, multi-level bosses...
There was no boss rush that I came across, or even difficult bosses. I didn't get that far into the game at all. Just about any boss that halts progression for more than a few minutes ends it for me nowadays. Interest just drops right off. I guess I'm just not interested in following a rigid path that's been set by the developers anymore. It's why I don't bother with a lot of retro stuff and tend to play more "open" games now, or games that are procedural or random. The more options on what to do and where to go and the less tightly linear pattern learning is involved the better as far as I'm concerned. Shovel Knight's fine for people who still prefer it old school and don't mind having to stop in order to deal with a boss.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:54 am

I never played much SF4 online, so I always thought the whole 'shoto onslaught' joke was an exaggeration, but blimey it's really not. Kens and Ryus as far as the eye can see. Lots of Vegas too.

Had enough of Bubble Witch and now moved on to Candy Crush. Perfect commute game.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Mar 02, 2016 12:26 pm

The Beans wrote: There was no boss rush that I came across, or even difficult bosses. I didn't get that far into the game at all. Just about any boss that halts progression for more than a few minutes ends it for me nowadays. Interest just drops right off. I guess I'm just not interested in following a rigid path that's been set by the developers anymore. It's why I don't bother with a lot of retro stuff and tend to play more "open" games now, or games that are procedural or random. The more options on what to do and where to go and the less tightly linear pattern learning is involved the better as far as I'm concerned. Shovel Knight's fine for people who still prefer it old school and don't mind having to stop in order to deal with a boss.
The boss rush doesn't occur until the penultimate level of the game - it basically followed the standard Mega Man template of making you refight all 8 main bosses again. That was ok for me as I enjoyed the boss fights very much in Shovel Knight, but if your not a fan of bosses then this part would probably do your head in!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:01 pm

Sel Feena wrote:I never played much SF4 online, so I always thought the whole 'shoto onslaught' joke was an exaggeration, but blimey it's really not. Kens and Ryus as far as the eye can see. Lots of Vegas too.

Had enough of Bubble Witch and now moved on to Candy Crush. Perfect commute game.
Really? I've fought very few Vegas. I think I must be around 100games online now. Id say about 70 of them have been Ryu and Ken

In that I have only fought 1 Dhalsim and 1 F.A.N.G :?

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Wed Mar 02, 2016 1:22 pm

^ Yeah, it seems to be Ryu, Ken and Vega with some Cammys thrown in. Not complaining really, just a shame there don't seem many chances to play against other characters except lounges.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Thu Mar 03, 2016 5:45 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ Yeah, it seems to be Ryu, Ken and Vega with some Cammys thrown in. Not complaining really, just a shame there don't seem many chances to play against other characters except lounges.
As much as Ken is my go-to charactwr I do enjoy messing with the others. Some of fhe new fighters look quite interedting wheras conversly in 4 i didnt think much of the newcomers. It must go in fits and starts as i enjoyed 3s new characters lol!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Mar 04, 2016 2:44 am

^ Karin looks mental, spent last night getting caned by her in matches.

The Last Ginja

Post by The Last Ginja » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:07 am

Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass.

I'm really enjoying this, I've finished the first proper dungeon and I've been to the "Central" dungeon and got the 2nd part of the map so far.

Not sure how I feel about the timed aspect as it took me a few attempts to get through it to get the map so it could come down to having to retry it over and over to get the pattern down but apart from that no complaints so far. Hopefully I'll get a chance to finish it off before I get TPHD at the end of the month from the wife for my Birthday :)

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:16 am

The Last Ginja wrote:I've been to the "Central" dungeon and got the 2nd part of the map so far.
Hope you enjoyed it, because you'll be back there a lot.

Other than that, it is a pretty good Zelda game.

RetroMartin

Post by RetroMartin » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:54 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ Karin looks mental, spent last night getting caned by her in matches.
Yeah the additions to the three alpha games were all pretty good. Alpha 3 was my go-to game for a bit of beat em up action back in the day!

PSN username - MartinPhantom

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:11 am

Ironcast on Xbox One. Turn-based, steampunk wobbly mech, match three, Rougue-lite hybrid sort of thing.

Within ten minutes of starting I found myself wondering where my copy of Ring Of Red was. I haven't played it in ages and it's an excellent game so the old PS2 is getting a rare play later on I think.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sat Mar 05, 2016 8:22 am

Not getting much time to play but on my 4th replay of The Last of Us , on Normal + now and still really enjoying it.

Also trying to finish Transformers Devastation on Commander difficulty before I take on the easiest setting.

Other than that just trying to enjoy Pokemon Omega Ruby but it's just getting to be a chore.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:43 am

Been playing a lot of Project X Zone on my 3DS this weekend. 30 odd hours into the game and I love everything except the length. If ever there was a game that should have had chapters chopped out of it this'd be the game. Its so damn repetitive that it could be half the length and you'd not lose out on anything. I love all the characters, music, bosses etc. that show up but that kind of wears thin when your 30 missions into the game and doing the same thing you were doing 20 missions ago. I mainly just want to finish it now so that I can pick the sequel up (which may as well be more of the same, but its more of the same with Yakuza, Shenmue and more Mega Man in it!)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Sun Mar 06, 2016 5:24 am

Hostile Waters, Anteus Rising. I'm on the "habitation" island and have just been given the "shark" hovercraft. It's my favourite mission but my scavenger driver keeps driving off a cliff into the ocean! very annoying!