What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

User avatar
MediaCult
Posts: 682
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 11:12 am
Location: Denmark

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by MediaCult » Thu Feb 25, 2016 4:15 pm

Been playing this the last couple of weeks:

Image

It's quite good! Not the best voice-acting I must say, but I like the strategy/RPG aspect. Units are somewhat hard to manage in battles, as they run around and attack anything.

Also been playing one of the launch titles for PS Vita in Europe, A-Men:

Image

And I'm stuck at level 2... It's a strange puzzle platformer.
MobyGames profile: http://www.mobygames.com/user/sheet/userSheetId,131075/
PSN/Microsoft/Wii U/STEAM nickname: MediaCult (feel free to add me).

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7522
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Shinobi » Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:59 pm

Arcade Ikari Warriors via the PSP SNK Classic's 0 its very hard and no way to continues from what I know off.. So far it doesn't have the supernatural aspect of the Nes version just soldiers and military vehicles and the odd rocket firing stone faces that I'm stuck on in the villiage, which is quite a way into the game..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11092
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Feb 25, 2016 7:03 pm

Shinobi wrote:Arcade Ikari Warriors via the PSP SNK Classic's 0 its very hard and no way to continues from what I know off.. So far it doesn't have the supernatural aspect of the Nes version just soldiers and military vehicles and the odd rocket firing stone faces that I'm stuck on in the villiage, which is quite a way into the game..
I can't find any way to continue either. Apparently you should be able to hold fire + start when you get the game over screen to continue but that's never worked for me.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Fri Feb 26, 2016 3:30 pm

Final boss on Link Between Worlds. He's a bit of a toughie, huh? Might need to go searching for more heart containers before trying again...
Image

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by shiftytigger » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:06 pm

RodimusPrime wrote:Just unlocked Megatron and Solid Snake on dreammix TV world fighters.
I didnt know there were any unlockables. I think I should play it again sometime.
Image

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7522
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Shinobi » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:57 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Arcade Ikari Warriors via the PSP SNK Classic's 0 its very hard and no way to continues from what I know off.. So far it doesn't have the supernatural aspect of the Nes version just soldiers and military vehicles and the odd rocket firing stone faces that I'm stuck on in the villiage, which is quite a way into the game..
I can't find any way to continue either. Apparently you should be able to hold fire + start when you get the game over screen to continue but that's never worked for me.
I wonder if it's something similar to the Nes version pressing A,B,A,B on the game over screen to continue.. How do you find the Nes versions of the Ikari Warriors games compared to the arcade versions? Nes Guerrilla Wars is a miles better game then the arcade version, mid and end level bosses and the supernatural element to the Nes version.. The bunny girls holding POW's hostage is a bit weird.. Is the Nes Ikari Warriors as bad as they say?
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11092
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:21 pm

Shinobi wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Arcade Ikari Warriors via the PSP SNK Classic's 0 its very hard and no way to continues from what I know off.. So far it doesn't have the supernatural aspect of the Nes version just soldiers and military vehicles and the odd rocket firing stone faces that I'm stuck on in the villiage, which is quite a way into the game..
I can't find any way to continue either. Apparently you should be able to hold fire + start when you get the game over screen to continue but that's never worked for me.
I wonder if it's something similar to the Nes version pressing A,B,A,B on the game over screen to continue.. How do you find the Nes versions of the Ikari Warriors games compared to the arcade versions? Nes Guerrilla Wars is a miles better game then the arcade version, mid and end level bosses and the supernatural element to the Nes version.. The bunny girls holding POW's hostage is a bit weird.. Is the Nes Ikari Warriors as bad as they say?
I've not played the NES version of Ikari Warriors so can't really comment. I can't really see how any port that doesn't have a rotary joystick which allows you to aim properly will be that great, even the arcade port of Ikari Warriors on the PSP was hampered by lack of control options, I can't get anywhere as I have real problems aiming in that game...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14890
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:49 pm

In the Hunt (PS1) - Absolutely beautiful to look at but hard as reinforced nails! I'm loathe to knock it down to 'very easy' but the onslaught of subs, choppers, planes, bombs, mines and carnage all over the screen can be overwhelming.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3506
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Sel Feena » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:05 pm

Very satisfying SFV session, network felt a lot better this evening with matches coming every other few minutes or so. Cammy players can go to hell with that spinny backfist move that can hit from behind. R. Mika is really fun to use (and troll with. Went out of my way to win with her mic toss a couple times now :lol: ). The SP experience is naff right now, but as long as matches keep coming I'm fairly happy I guess.
Image

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:03 pm

Pokemon Red - Just reached Cerulean city! Currently rocking a team with Charmeleon, Butterfree, Nidorino, Pidgeotto & Clefable. Right now I'm making the mistake of having an even team of level 16 - 18's, rather than having at least one higher level 20+ 'mon. Put 4 hours into Red and what's really amazed me is that, in spite of many annoying/archaic mechanics, it's still every bit as playable and addictive as it was on Christmas morning 1999!

Smash Bros Wii U - Finally figuring out how to use Rosaline and Shulk! Really enjoying the local multiplayer brawls.

Wii Sports - Haven't played it for years, still excellent fun.

Mario Galaxy 2 - Beat the first three planets and loving it.
Image

User avatar
theantmeister
Posts: 3440
Joined: Wed May 26, 2010 8:36 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by theantmeister » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:09 am

I finally got back to playing King's Quest V. This game in infuriating. Maze puzzles, obtuse solutions and god-awful controls. This game is just so mean to the player. At one point you get into this room, but the door will close and seal you in if you're in there too long. In the room there's a giant lamp, which you obviously have to grab. But there's also a single gold coin on the floor. It is precisely one pixel big and if you don't get it it is game over. If you spend more than 10 seconds in the room it is game over. :x

User avatar
David
Posts: 3861
Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:05 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by David » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:14 am

Been playing some more gtav and having fun with it. Never gave it much time the first time I owned it.


So much ridiculous stuff happens though it's easy to stray from the missions

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by The Beans » Mon Feb 29, 2016 4:46 pm

Played some Rocket League at my mate's tonight for a bit. He loves it. I think it's utterly average. Laughed at the rampant goal hangers though. What is it about online gaming that brings forth such huge amounts of cads and bounders?
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:06 pm

Finally got around to giving Shovel Knight a proper go today. Beat three bosses and so far I'm really enjoying it! :) love the retro aesthetic (even if it's been done to death by now) and the soundtrack is absolutely superb. Difficulty is just right, hard bosses, levels and traps but I'm muddling my way through.
Image

User avatar
The Beans
Posts: 3635
Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 12:18 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by The Beans » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:28 pm

Rayne wrote:Finally got around to giving Shovel Knight a proper go today. Beat three bosses and so far I'm really enjoying it! :) love the retro aesthetic (even if it's been done to death by now) and the soundtrack is absolutely superb. Difficulty is just right, hard bosses, levels and traps but I'm muddling my way through.
I like the idea of Shovel Knight and the gameplay seems pretty good and the retro art style is easy on the eye. I pretty much enjoyed what I played of it right up until the bosses started turning up too regularly. Then I binned it and I'll probably never return. Bosses are game kilers for me these days. At least, in games like Shovel Knight they are. They're not even that tough tbh. I just can't be arsed learning yet another boss after I've already learned and beaten hundreds of examples of the same old crap over too many years of gaming. It just isn't worth the effort.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests