What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

General Opulence

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by General Opulence » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:29 am

Just completed all 4 2D Sonic games on the Megadrive, next up Sonic CD!

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:33 am

Rayne wrote:
Shinobi wrote:
Rayne wrote:Shadows of the Damned - Done! Completed my Hard playthrough, I have now beat this game three times in less than two weeks. As enjoyable as it was I think it'll be on the shelf for a looooong time before being played again :lol:

Mass Effect 2 - about a third of the way through an Insane playthrough. Man I'd forgotten how tough this game can be!! I'm really enjoying the challenge, save for the occasional unfair difficulty spike it serves as a real challenge.

Not sure whether to start on X-Men Destiny or WET next. Hmm...
How difficult is Shadows of the damned on hard to complete in particular the last two boss fights against Flemming the Lord of Demons and Paula when she morphs into her demon form(when she grows wings)? I read on X Box achievements they where impossible to beat on hard as they'd glitch and wouldn't take damage.. Also I found the scene when naked Paula chased you and instantly killed you by even touching her infuriating and that thing on the horse the Jason Vorhee's look alike turns into.. As it wasn't clear where you where supposed to hit it?

Last achievement I need great game just fear the difficulty may make me hate it
The only difference is you take more damage and the enemies take less. So long as you upgrade the damage on the machine gun and shotgun and stock-pile your booze you'll be fine! :) it's pretty easy. I didn't encounter any glitches, the last boss fight with demon Paula is more boring than difficult (wait for machine gun ammo to spawn, auto aim and unload, wait again...).

You should give it a shot and let me know how it goes :mrgreen:
Have to get it back of my friend as he's lent about 10 of my games including Shadows.. I have a few games I'm missing just 1 achievement.. Soul Caliber V, Diablo 3, Fist of the Noth Star' Majin and Final Fantasy 13X2 I really should finish them..

Is Deus Ex any good as I like stealth games & Velvet Assassin and Tenchu Z, are 2 of my fav 360 games (got 1000g on both).. The thing that puts me off 'Deus Ex' it gives you weapons but penalises you for using them.. Both Velvet Assassin and Tenchu encouraged you too kill silently for S ranks and achievements.. I also heard on Deus Ex you could bypass large parts of the mission with shortcut such as the first level taking a vent
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Sep 24, 2015 4:43 am

Which Deus Ex do you mean?

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 5:34 am

Rayne wrote:
samhain81 wrote:The gundam series were the only Dynasty Warriors games I played demos off, and thought, these games kick ass.

Any recommendations on which games to buy from that series? The vita ones looked good.
Samurai Warriors 2 is an excellent title focusing on Japan rather than China. DW 4 Xtreme Legends was a fave of mine, DW Next on Vita is also good.

Pretty much all the DW games are essentially the same game :lol: the newer the version the more content and refinements you'll find but compare a PS2 entry to a PS3 entry and not a whole lot will have changed.
That's some great infoamigo, but I'm sorry as I should have been clearer in my question, lol. I wanted to know what games from the Gundam sub-series are the ones to look out for :)

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:39 am

Shinobi wrote: Is Deus Ex any good as I like stealth games & Velvet Assassin and Tenchu Z, are 2 of my fav 360 games (got 1000g on both).. The thing that puts me off 'Deus Ex' it gives you weapons but penalises you for using them.. Both Velvet Assassin and Tenchu encouraged you too kill silently for S ranks and achievements.. I also heard on Deus Ex you could bypass large parts of the mission with shortcut such as the first level taking a vent
If you're talking about Human Revolution then I can't recommend it enough! The story is interesting and the gameplay is superb. It's definitely designed to be a stealth game, while you can go loud & lethal it will make the game far more tedious. I got 100% from that game without much trouble, loved the 'Foxiest of the Hounds' achievement nod to MGS.

I have Velvet Assassin and Tenchu Z both waiting to be played. I hope they're good :)
samhain81 wrote:That's some great infoamigo, but I'm sorry as I should have been clearer in my question, lol. I wanted to know what games from the Gundam sub-series are the ones to look out for :)
Doh! I defer to Shadowman :mrgreen: I hated the 2nd one, am playing the first and I have the third laying around somewhere..

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:05 am

Rayne wrote:
Shinobi wrote: Is Deus Ex any good as I like stealth games & Velvet Assassin and Tenchu Z, are 2 of my fav 360 games (got 1000g on both).. The thing that puts me off 'Deus Ex' it gives you weapons but penalises you for using them.. Both Velvet Assassin and Tenchu encouraged you too kill silently for S ranks and achievements.. I also heard on Deus Ex you could bypass large parts of the mission with shortcut such as the first level taking a vent
If you're talking about Human Revolution then I can't recommend it enough! The story is interesting and the gameplay is superb. It's definitely designed to be a stealth game, while you can go loud & lethal it will make the game far more tedious. I got 100% from that game without much trouble, loved the 'Foxiest of the Hounds' achievement nod to MGS.

I have Velvet Assassin and Tenchu Z both waiting to be played. I hope they're good ::.
I am the only person on the plant that thought Deus EX HR was a bit cack, I have said the things I dont like about it before (other games do what you like to do the mission this one do what you like but as we say)

I have completed Tenchu Z, one mission is a pain, the one where you have to follow someone and kill everyone for a perfect score, following him isnt the problem

Its when I went off to kill the people the game starts telling me to keep sight of the other guy, I go ahead he spots me.

Such an annoying mission, in the older games all you had to do is finish the level without being seen for a perfect score

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:56 am

DPrinny wrote: I am the only person on the plant that thought Deus EX HR was a bit cack, I have said the things I dont like about it before (other games do what you like to do the mission this one do what you like but as we say)
I think most of the complaints revolve around the nature of the stealth gameplay. So long as you treat the game like a stealth title then it's absolutely brilliant. If you try to run n' gun then it's an absolute bore.

Regarding the mission structure I've found multiple ways to complete missions. While all roads eventually encourage a stealthy/pacifist approach there are still loads of different ways to get there :)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:22 am

Nar for Grandmaster on Tenchu Z you have to kill everyone, the game is anti pacifist

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:57 am

DPrinny wrote:Nar for Grandmaster on Tenchu Z you have to kill everyone, the game is anti pacifist
I was talking about Deus Ex HR :P

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:32 pm

DPrinny wrote:
Rayne wrote:

I have Velvet Assassin and Tenchu Z both waiting to be played. I hope they're good ::.
I am the only person on the plant that thought Deus EX HR was a bit cack, I have said the things I dont like about it before (other games do what you like to do the mission this one do what you like but as we say)

I have completed Tenchu Z, one mission is a pain, the one where you have to follow someone and kill everyone for a perfect score, following him isnt the problem

Its when I went off to kill the people the game starts telling me to keep sight of the other guy, I go ahead he spots me.

Such an annoying mission, in the older games all you had to do is finish the level without being seen for a perfect score
Mission 13 "follow the corrupt Merchant" I had trouble with that myself got my friend to do it for me.. He knew everybody's route and he killed every person easily so by the time Eichgoya made his rounds all his bodyguards where dead.. It does give you a lot of leeway tailing him as when it tells you to follow him 'don't' as he constantly turns around or just to the rooftops and kill the guards after he's passed them..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Fri Sep 25, 2015 4:07 pm

Dynasty Warriors: Gundam. I wrapped up all 6 'Official' mode stories which, even by Dynasty Warriors standards, was f*cking repetitive. Literally the same 3 missions played 6 times with different characters.

I've now moved on to the Original mode, cleared Amuro, Char & Heero's stories, again all the exact bloody same. I'm using the co-op trick so I get to stay as Heero piloting the all-mighty zero wing :mrgreen: . As repetitive as it is the simple button mashing and almost compulsive method of clearing fields and taking down ace officers has me hooked. After a long day of work it's nice to just button mash my way to victory :lol:

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:03 pm

Tonight Thomas was alone on the wii u... very clever game. On offer at £2.20
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

LonDan

Post by LonDan » Fri Sep 25, 2015 5:44 pm

Phantasy Star IV via Sega Megadrive classics on the PSP.

I would have sworn on my wife's life that I played this and owned it in my teens, but nothing about this 'replay' is triggering any sense of nostalgia in me. Must have been a different game, but I can't imagine how I'd have got it so wrong.

(second post by the way, so hello)

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Fri Sep 25, 2015 6:23 pm

slacey1070 wrote:Tonight Thomas was alone on the wii u... very clever game. On offer at £2.20
got this last year on Vita with PS+, amazing game with a deceptively simple aesthetic look

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Sat Sep 26, 2015 4:37 am

snesfanboy wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Tonight Thomas was alone on the wii u... very clever game. On offer at £2.20
got this last year on Vita with PS+, amazing game with a deceptively simple aesthetic look
Yes it's a clever little game. Enjoying it so far. My quick play turned into 45 mins.

Enjoying indie gaming a lot at the moment, more so than mainstream.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.