What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

djcarlos

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by djcarlos » Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:51 am

HEEEEEIIIIISSSTTTTSSSSSS!

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:02 am

djcarlos wrote:HEEEEEIIIIISSSTTTTSSSSSS!
me too. Rather good aren't they?
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:16 am

Well I'm currently playing Tomb Raider on 360 but not for long. What an unbelievable load of crap lol! Does the game even remotely start to resemble the franchise of old at some point or is the shonky collection of modern gaming cliches going to continue all the way through? QTE rubbish, miniscule gaming sections, extensive cut scenes every minute or so, a palette of five colours ... this is just awful. I never realised this series had fallen so far. The isometric games are excellent imo. The devs should scrap garbage like this and make more of those. Thank god the game was free.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:56 am

The Beans wrote:Well I'm currently playing Tomb Raider on 360 but not for long. What an unbelievable load of crap lol! Does the game even remotely start to resemble the franchise of old at some point or is the shonky collection of modern gaming cliches going to continue all the way through? QTE rubbish, miniscule gaming sections, extensive cut scenes every minute or so, a palette of five colours ... this is just awful. I never realised this series had fallen so far. The isometric games are excellent imo. The devs should scrap garbage like this and make more of those. Thank god the game was free.
Heh, yeah, I thought the same at first. Stick with it - it gets a lot better. The QTE never fully goes away though... :(

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:55 pm

theantmeister wrote:
The Beans wrote:Well I'm currently playing Tomb Raider on 360 but not for long. What an unbelievable load of crap lol! Does the game even remotely start to resemble the franchise of old at some point or is the shonky collection of modern gaming cliches going to continue all the way through? QTE rubbish, miniscule gaming sections, extensive cut scenes every minute or so, a palette of five colours ... this is just awful. I never realised this series had fallen so far. The isometric games are excellent imo. The devs should scrap garbage like this and make more of those. Thank god the game was free.
Heh, yeah, I thought the same at first. Stick with it - it gets a lot better. The QTE never fully goes away though... :(
I actually really, really liked this game :oops:

The secret tombs littered around the game are very much reminiscent of the old Tomb Raider gameplay. As theantmeister says the late game is significantly better thanks to a more open world and some really cool supernatural elements.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Sonic all stars racing

Its Waaaaay better than Mario kart Wii, items are not spammed by the CPU

Centipede somethingIREALLYCANTBEARSEDFINDINGITSNAME Wii
It becomes a dull twin stick shooter

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:06 pm

Rayne wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
I actually really, really liked this game :oops:

The secret tombs littered around the game are very much reminiscent of the old Tomb Raider gameplay. As theantmeister says the late game is significantly better thanks to a more open world and some really cool supernatural elements.
It does improve once you're past the first hour or so. It isn't Tomb Raider though. It's a dumbed down distant cousin at best. Those secret tombs are so small they feel like tacked-on mini level DLC or something. The combat's pretty tidy though. I'm only as far as locating the second pilot from the crashed plane (just reached the camp past his blue smoke). I get the feeling the game's going to be pretty short.

gman72

Post by gman72 » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:10 pm

Each to their own for sure. I thought the newest Tombraider was many kinds of awesome. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:38 pm

Aye, each to his own.

Way I see it though, the new Tomb Raider ditches everything I liked about the old games and emphasises everything that's grown old and tired in modern games.

Tomorrow it's Bioshock Infinite for free on the 360 and Tomb Raider's stripped down reboot of linear dumbness will likely be consigned to a dark forgotten corner of my console's hard drive. It's dog eat dog out there. The weak make way for the strong. It's all good.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:29 am

The Beans wrote:Aye, each to his own.

Way I see it though, the new Tomb Raider ditches everything I liked about the old games and emphasises everything that's grown old and tired in modern games.

Tomorrow it's Bioshock Infinite for free on the 360 and Tomb Raider's stripped down reboot of linear dumbness will likely be consigned to a dark forgotten corner of my console's hard drive. It's dog eat dog out there. The weak make way for the strong. It's all good.
Yet your making way for Bioshock Infinite? :lol:

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:13 am

Just give it a another hour or two. Honestly, Tomb Raider's opening is one of the worst I can remember. But eventually it all ends and you're left with the whole island to explore. The RPG elements make it better than any previous Tomb Raider (IMO) and the puzzles are some of the best in the series. There's one tomb that has this crashed plane in it, for example, that's an awesome little set piece all on its own. It is as memorable as the Midas level in the first game.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:22 am

samhain81 wrote:

Yet your making way for Bioshock Infinite? :lol:
Well I'll give Bioshock Infinite a play. Nearly every freebie get's its chance. The TR reboot is unlikely to return because it's a huge departure from the original games and therefore a crushing letdown. I mean, QTE crap for Pete's sake! The ruthlessly linearity! The tedious survival vibe. The whinging, cringing Lara and her constant stream of injuries. The whole massively dumbed down nature of it all. The game isn't as bad as I first thought but it sure isn't what I wanted from a game carrying the Tomb Raider brand. It's just too lightweight and desperately trying to be a movie. Bioshock is unlikely to disappoint in the same way because it stays within its franchise remit.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Mar 16, 2015 9:44 am

^Shes ment to be a more realistic depiction of a female to please all those "Feminist gamers" that dont know what they are talking about

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Mar 16, 2015 6:07 pm

Put some more time into Persona 4 Arena Ultimax. Elizabeth is a really fun character to play as with insane moves :) . The boss isn't the worst I've ever dealt with by far but on anything other than the second highest difficulty, he gets a bit irritating to fight especially since his supers seem to have a higher priority even if you trigger yours just before his.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:54 am

^ Yet to pick Ultimax up, but she was my fave character after Chie in Arena.

Playing Ar no Surge and having a reasonably good time with it, grinding for DP. There doesn't seem to be much challenge so far though.