What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

snesfanboy

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:08 pm

Evergrace on PS2

it has some elements that come back in the Souls series

only 2 hours in, but i'm loving it up until now!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:04 pm

On android

Lonewolf, an interesting mix of crashing and a battle system that seems cack, uninstalled
Eliss, could of been fun if it wasn't so busy, uninstalled
Combocrew, well the fact that it has a dlc character on its icon is always a bad sign, the game its self is also cack and uninstalled

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Sep 29, 2014 2:46 pm

Played a bit of Boom Blox recently. Pretty cool so far, itching to try some multiplayer. Wonder how much Spielberg had in it. If anything this game is proof that EA aren't completely soulless. :lol:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:20 pm

pratty wrote:Played a bit of Boom Blox recently. Pretty cool so far, itching to try some multiplayer. Wonder how much Spielberg had in it. If anything this game is proof that EA aren't completely soulless. :lol:
I had as much fun with the Bloom Box games as anything else I owned on the Wii.

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon Sep 29, 2014 3:37 pm

sscott wrote:
pratty wrote:Played a bit of Boom Blox recently. Pretty cool so far, itching to try some multiplayer. Wonder how much Spielberg had in it. If anything this game is proof that EA aren't completely soulless. :lol:
Good to hear. :)

Gonna see how I get on with the first one and then maybe pick up the sequel if I need more.

The downside to Nintendo going a bit more 'traditional' with the Wii-U is there probably won't be as many sequels and similar games to things like Boom Blox.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Oct 02, 2014 2:36 pm

140 hours into Fire Emblem Awakening (still levelling and maxing out stats on characters) and haven't played much else.

However, I have been playing a bit of Roadblasters via the Midway Arcade Treasures compilation for PS2. I didn't like this game at all the first time I played it but now I'm really enjoying it. Struggling to make it past Stage 10 but it's all good fun and the cruise missile power up is just epic :twisted:

I know it needs no saying but that first Midway comp is just mind-blowing. So many classics on there that I want to play at the same time but thankfully I've managed to control myself and just stick to Roadblasters and Robotron for now.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Oct 02, 2014 4:53 pm

I've always enjoyed Road blasters - right back to the speccy version and on the MD too.

The midway collections are chock full of awesomeness. Shame they didn't get an expanded version for PS3.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:12 pm

Tried the new XB1 gold game Chariot, fun little platform puzzler.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:03 pm

sscott wrote:
Myself and my partner played this loads when we got it, really enjoyable in two-player mode.

Couldn't quite get into the sequel as much as the first one for some reason, cannot really remember why.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:56 am

DPrinny wrote:On android

Lonewolf, an interesting mix of crashing and a battle system that seems cack, uninstalled
Eliss, could of been fun if it wasn't so busy, uninstalled
Combocrew, well the fact that it has a dlc character on its icon is always a bad sign, the game its self is also cack and uninstalled
That the Lone Wolf game that's sort of based on the Joe Dever gamebooks series whilst missing the point of the appeal of the books entirely? If so, you're right, it's cack.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Oct 03, 2014 5:30 pm

DJ Max Technika Tune for the Vita. I've been returning to this game on and off every few months and I've finally cleared all the songs on the hardest difficulty. A few of them are really tough as well, but for the most part I've found myself getting more used to using the two touch screens in tandem to get better rankings. Its a really fun and additive game with perhaps the best implementation of back touch screen controls (once you get used to it that is). If it weren't for two really tough ranking challenges I'd be able to platinum it as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:18 pm

tried to finish Gain Ground (Megadrive collection on Xbox360) with a friend yesterday evening, only managed to get to 4th stage round 5 or 6 before we got obliterated

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sat Oct 04, 2014 12:34 pm

Last of Us. Well I got two hours in and it was just bloody awful. I don't like the characters or setting, it feels very gamey i.e. collapsing buildings telling you which way to go, 'help me with this Joel' loading screens etc. The opening credits with news clips are as clichéd as its possible to get, there is no subtlety to the story telling, it's a police state - we know this because you see someone get shot straight away, your daughter died - be sad, this is your motivation etc. I have no empathy with any of the characters, most of whom don't have any traits of a human being (is that the point?). The use of violence is over the top and unpleasant. When you actually get round to playing it's a crap version of splinter cell. The game seems inconsistent, there are efforts to add realism with being shot and healing wounds but you can hear through walls. I was up for giving in but I want to give it a chance. So far though the reviews seem like a joke, it just looks like one of those games that people who are ashamed of their hobby like because it has the veneer of being adult.

Playstation All Stars. It's ok, I at least know how to play a bit, unlike smash bros. Only half the characters seem any good, but there's fun to be had and it was nice to see parappa the rapper again.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:31 pm

Today i've mostly been playing this:

Image and Image

oh and Diablo 3, natch. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

Dam

Post by Dam » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:43 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Last of Us. Well I got two hours in and it was just bloody awful. I don't like the characters or setting, it feels very gamey i.e. collapsing buildings telling you which way to go, 'help me with this Joel' loading screens etc. The opening credits with news clips are as clichéd as its possible to get, there is no subtlety to the story telling, it's a police state - we know this because you see someone get shot straight away, your daughter died - be sad, this is your motivation etc. I have no empathy with any of the characters, most of whom don't have any traits of a human being (is that the point?). The use of violence is over the top and unpleasant. When you actually get round to playing it's a crap version of splinter cell. The game seems inconsistent, there are efforts to add realism with being shot and healing wounds but you can hear through walls. I was up for giving in but I want to give it a chance. So far though the reviews seem like a joke, it just looks like one of those games that people who are ashamed of their hobby like because it has the veneer of being adult.

Playstation All Stars. It's ok, I at least know how to play a bit, unlike smash bros. Only half the characters seem any good, but there's fun to be had and it was nice to see parappa the rapper again.
I thought Last of us was awful too. Or maybe not so much awful as just, well, boring. I spent 10 mins trying to put a ladder against a wall, then I had to shoot someone who was trapped under a bookcase in the head to advance the story even though I didn't want to shoot him. Then I turned it off and put a real game on.