What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Sel Feena

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:10 pm

Compared to the original especially, the whole thing feels very linear with a very poor storyline. It also feels way too easy to power your way through things once you have your stealth augs up high enough.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:56 pm

Megamixer wrote:Deus Ex: Invisible War (Xbox) - Not got very far yet but at the moment it feels pretty boring for some reason. Hopefully it will pick up a bit but I've not heard much good about this game prior to playing it so we'll see.
Play Project Snowblind instead. Its an action packed Deus Ex game that plays much better than Invisible War

MattyC64c

Post by MattyC64c » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Been playing DOOM BFG Edition. Pretty cool still, but some of the graphics are looking somewhat dated now compared with the latest games and the BFG edition hasn't had a makeover either. I am playing the PC version though, with a Xbox 360 controller via my TV in 1080p and it does still look good though.

Also started to re-play Bioshock. I'm still impressed at how this game looks and plays. I'm also playing this with the graphics maxed out via my PC. I think I will invest in the sequels now too. Although I'm very disappointed that I lost out on a recent Bioshock Sale on Steam. All three games were going for under £7, damn it!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:54 am

Assassins Creed 3 on the Vita...

despite a few trippy graphic glitches, it is superb....controls really well and the graphics are fantastic...

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:13 am

Black Ridge wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Deus Ex: Invisible War (Xbox) - Not got very far yet but at the moment it feels pretty boring for some reason. Hopefully it will pick up a bit but I've not heard much good about this game prior to playing it so we'll see.
Play Project Snowblind instead. Its an action packed Deus Ex game that plays much better than Invisible War
And IW plays much better than HR

And Alpha protocol is better than all of them

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:16 am

I started Heart of Darkness on the PlayStation 1 on Saturday.

I'm really enjoying this game so far. As a fan of Another World, I don't know why I left this game untouched for so long, I think it fell by the wayside as Symphony of the Night did with me originally because "3D is cool" and all of that :lol:
Looking at the chapter lists online it does look like I'm getting close to the end of the game but after a pretty brutal beginning, the difficulty seems to have balanced out a bit, whether the difficulty will spike again is another matter altogether.

Anyway... loving the game but just like I did with Symphony of the Night I just wish I checked it out sooner :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 4:12 pm

Well I binned Invisible War in the end. I tried to make a go of it but the combat was just doing my head in. Tried using a cloaking aug to sneak up behind somebody and knife them but they survived about 5 slashes to the head and shot me dead?!? I guess that the game doesn't want you to play that way but whatever. I didn't really think it was easy enough to switch between augmentations and items on the fly when in a pressured situation and the game in general was just boring me. Going to choose either Farcry Instincts or Thief for my next Xbox game.

I'm still putting stupid hours into Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS though. All but about 3 of my units were fully maxed out but then I started playing with Second Seals which lets you change advanced classes and grind out 20 more levels to build upon existing stats. Some of my units are really overpowered now after doing this but it's just so addictive :oops: . Second Seals also seem to be good for units that peak very early then become relatively weak deeper into the game (Frederick, I'm looking at you) as you can start levelling them again.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

sscott

Post by sscott » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:19 pm

Megamixer wrote:Well I binned Invisible War in the end. I tried to make a go of it but the combat was just doing my head in. Tried using a cloaking aug to sneak up behind somebody and knife them but they survived about 5 slashes to the head and shot me dead?!? I guess that the game doesn't want you to play that way but whatever. I didn't really think it was easy enough to switch between augmentations and items on the fly when in a pressured situation and the game in general was just boring me. Going to choose either Farcry Instincts or Thief for my next Xbox game.

I'm still putting stupid hours into Fire Emblem Awakening on the 3DS though. All but about 3 of my units were fully maxed out but then I started playing with Second Seals which lets you change advanced classes and grind out 20 more levels to build upon existing stats. Some of my units are really overpowered now after doing this but it's just so addictive :oops: . Second Seals also seem to be good for units that peak very early then become relatively weak deeper into the game (Frederick, I'm looking at you) as you can start levelling them again.
Literally binned?

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:37 am

sscott wrote: Literally binned?
No, even I'm not that wasteful :wink: . It's sitting in a stack of unwanted games.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

crotea

Post by crotea » Tue Sep 09, 2014 3:14 pm

Aria of sorow, unfortunately it's being emulated on the psp: not willing to buy a game less than 10 hours for over £30 :P

Spooky

Post by Spooky » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:08 am

I've just started playing Bioshock Infinite. I've had this one for quite a while and I like it so far, but I'm not as thrilled as with the first one. Perhaps because it's not as claustrophobic as Bioshock 1.
I find the graphics quite disappointing... is it because it's been a while since I've played an FPS? (I'm playing on the Xbox 360)
I don't think I'll spend hours and hours on this one. I'll probably complete it and move on to the next game (I've about 10 new games to play that have been sitting on my table for months)
Translator for Pix'n Love Publishing:
The History of Sonic (Spring 2012)
Gunpei Yokoi biography (Q2 2012)
The History of Mario (Q2 2012)

http://www.pixnlovepublishing.com

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:02 pm

Max Payne I echo what Megamixer said about the extreme difficulty spikes which you have no human way of predicting.. Die replay, die again until you learn whats coming next, such as people who throw grenades that can't be dodged and lasers that you can't see until its to late.. Got to the bit in the Lift where you fight Mona Sax.. Moving trip wires you can barely see, fight lots of the Men in black, get pain killers fight more people, Mona cut scene fight more people get in lift with more red laser wires which you have to do die due to bad camera angles and how hard the damn things are too see.. Die back to the moving lasers close to snapping the disc at this point.. That's not skill forcing you to memorise a level
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 2:36 pm

Shinobi wrote:That's not skill forcing you to memorise a level
Are you on the right forum? :lol:
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:22 pm

Shinobi wrote:Max Payne I echo what Megamixer said about the extreme difficulty spikes which you have no human way of predicting.. Die replay, die again until you learn whats coming next, such as people who throw grenades that can't be dodged and lasers that you can't see until its to late.. Got to the bit in the Lift where you fight Mona Sax.. Moving trip wires you can barely see, fight lots of the Men in black, get pain killers fight more people, Mona cut scene fight more people get in lift with more red laser wires which you have to do die due to bad camera angles and how hard the damn things are too see.. Die back to the moving lasers close to snapping the disc at this point.. That's not skill forcing you to memorise a level
That whole elevator/helicopter/tower block section was awful. I had no idea that I was supposed to be shooting the trip lasers in the lift!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:47 pm

Started Far Cry Instincts (Xbox). Okay so far but nothing special. Still not got any of the feral abilities yet so hopefully those will spice things up as the game is otherwise just another shooter that I'll forget about once I'm finished.