What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

shiftytigger

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:12 pm

Megamixer wrote:Squeezed a bit of USFIV in. Bloody hate Seth so much after wasting ages trying to beat him with Akuma but after finally doing so, I did an arcade run with Poison and beat him first time :lol: . Poison is very cool and I seem to be able to fight well with her.
Ive replayed the game with 35 of the characters and still no idea which one i never finished with before. Have reached the point of rage quit now so ive noted them down for a time when my patience is greater.

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:23 am

Megamixer wrote:Squeezed a bit of USFIV in. Bloody hate Seth so much after wasting ages trying to beat him with Akuma but after finally doing so, I did an arcade run with Poison and beat him first time :lol: . Poison is very cool and I seem to be able to fight well with her.
Ah Seth, the quintessential Capcom cheap boss. I'm back playing Dragons Crown, getting annoyed with having to grind through early levels over and over to earn enough XP and cash to level up my characters so they don't get absolutely murdered by the later bosses. I'm letting it off for the Monty Python and the Holy Grail killer rabbit being one of the bosses, but my patience is wearing thin.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:29 am

Playing through Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams on the PS3

Anyone else played this little gem of a game? artstyle is family similar to Trine. The music in the game is gorgeous

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:13 pm

shiftytigger wrote:
Ive replayed the game with 35 of the characters and still no idea which one i never finished with before. Have reached the point of rage quit now so ive noted them down for a time when my patience is greater.
Well I have no intention of beating the game with all characters unlike back in the old days when doing so actually unlocked something of worth with each character you completed the game with (I'm thinking more of the 3D fighters like Tekken though). I do always have a play with as many as possible to see who I click with but so far it's just Cammy, Akuma and Poison for me. Trying to get better with the epic Oni too but I feel a bit lost without Akuma's teleport plus Oni's moves are a bit more than just the usual shoto fare.

Certainly didn't get on with Decapre and I'm still a but peeved that Capcom chose another doll for the game over R.Mika or Karin (though I hear there are licensing hurdles with the latter).
Treguard wrote:I'm back playing Dragons Crown, getting annoyed with having to grind through early levels over and over to earn enough XP and cash to level up my characters so they don't get absolutely murdered by the later bosses. I'm letting it off for the Monty Python and the Holy Grail killer rabbit being one of the bosses, but my patience is wearing thin.
I actually cleared the game on all 3 difficulties and grinding is a chore indeed but I didn't seem to tire of it for some reason. Depends on how much you are loving the game design I suppose (I liked it a lot). It was fun to see how many levels I could get through in a chain before having to return to the town to heal up and this was certainly the way to level up faster due to the multipliers on exp, gold etc. I also spent a stupid amount of time setting up lots of different equipment bags and constantly sorting through the best equipment...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:54 pm

I normally have a run through - mainly , as you said , because it used to get you extra characters in other fighters but also to try out the new and remind myself of characters i dont use much. Kind of annoyed that it doesnt get you anything as some of the characters have been downright poor and hard work too. The new introductions arent great - Oni is playable , dont mind Yun/Yang but Decapre and Hugo were bottom of the pile.

R Mika would have been good , as would Skullomania but again licencing issues in the way. Wouldnt have minded Sodom or even Maki as extras but it is what it is.

Also wondered why Zangief is now lightning quick as well as powerful , seems too much so now.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:45 pm

samhain81 wrote:Playing through Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams on the PS3

Anyone else played this little gem of a game? artstyle is family similar to Trine. The music in the game is gorgeous
The game looks loverly and the concept of swapping between "worlds" is great. The difficulty bugs me a bit though for some reason, I gave up on one of the games bosses which is a pity as up to that point I loved the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:57 pm

shiftytigger wrote:I normally have a run through - mainly , as you said , because it used to get you extra characters in other fighters but also to try out the new and remind myself of characters i dont use much. Kind of annoyed that it doesnt get you anything as some of the characters have been downright poor and hard work too. The new introductions arent great - Oni is playable , dont mind Yun/Yang but Decapre and Hugo were bottom of the pile.

R Mika would have been good , as would Skullomania but again licencing issues in the way. Wouldnt have minded Sodom or even Maki as extras but it is what it is.

Also wondered why Zangief is now lightning quick as well as powerful , seems too much so now.
I really like Decapre and have done very well online with her. I'm no good with grapplers but Hugo is terrifying in the right hands.

I used to hate the battles with Seth but after a while I got around them. For whatever reason the cr.HK on most characters will always get him. On knockdown creep back and forth until he wakes up and do it again but not close up.

On another note, Poison is the best new character IMO. Rolento is annoying to play against and Elena just doesn't seem to fit the game. Her jump arc is unlike any other and her moveset seems boring to me.

dste

Post by dste » Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:56 pm

Started playing Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on the DS today.

Only one that I have yet to complete on the DS.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Bluce_Ree

Post by Bluce_Ree » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:45 pm

Recently finished;

Earth Defense Force 2025 (460 hours to get the 1000GS.... argh!)
Motocross Madness (very likeable)
Crashtime 3 (very German)

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:48 pm

dste wrote:Started playing Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin on the DS today.

Only one that I have yet to complete on the DS.
That's my favourite of the three.

I've been on the Diablo 3 bandwagon. Bought the RoS edition last week. I'm on Act 2 now and loving it.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:55 am

The beta for the spiritual Megaman sequel "Mighty Number 9" is out for those who backed the kickstarter game at a certain level and I've been giving the beta level a few tries as I'm hungry for a new Megaman game. So far here's what I think...

While I did not get much time last night to play this game, I did manage to get acquainted with the game and clear the beta stage twice through...

For those that aren't aware of what MN9 is, its basically a next gen Megaman game from the team behind most of the old Megaman games, and I like Megaman very much so I was over the moon when this was announced!

I instantly feel right at home with the game - you run, shoot and jump through the level as you would in an old MM game, avoid obstacles (spikes of course) and destroy enemies. But the twist to this game is, while you can kill enemies outright by blasting them enough you are supposed to weaken them and then use the dash move to kill them, absorbing some of the enemies power. This not only is a far quicker, more efficient way of playing but it also grants you temporary speed up, power up or adds some health to a MMX style sub tank which can then be used later when your getting low on health.
I'm not 100% familiar on how to get 100% absorption on an enemy (I think its down to only shooting them enough to stun them, then dash through them quickly afterwards) but the only real benefit to that is more points.

The dash move is also new to the "classic" Megaman feel and truth be told it feels slightly closer to MMX in this regard as you can dash through the air (multiple times), that doesn't make the game easy as the enemy layouts, and inclusion of big spike pits force you to use the dash effectively right off the bat so it doesn't feel easy. And that's what I like about the game so far - they didn't dumb the difficulty down. The enemies could be more threatening of course (I want a bastard hard mode) but its at least challenging and in line with previous games in the series. There are a couple of checkpoints in the massive level (I'd have favoured less checkpoints personally) and you have a limited supply of lives so the game forces you to get good and learn the level/enemies.

Of course no MM game would be complete without the trademark end of stage boss battle - and this game has one that reminds me of a cross between Search Man and Commando Man as he's got enough weapons on him to take down an army.
At first he caught me out, it was hard to figure out how to pre empt his spiderman esque leaping but after a couple of tries I got it down (I've missed Megaman boss battles so much!). The rest is simple(ish), he's got a load of different shot attacks and a giant rocket launcher that keeps things interesting but I found him fairly easy once I nailed the patterns down. As with the rest of the level the dashing makes the boss pace nice and fast and slightly hectic. I'll absolutely love this game if the rest of the bosses are like this. As with other enemies, once you damage the boss enough you need to dash through him to absorb part of his power - if you take to long his health regenerates!

It does have a couple of negative points though - the music isn't as good so far as I'd hoped. They have composers back from previous MM games so I'm hoping I'll change my opinion on this fact before release.
The little bits of text banter between characters is hard to read as you play the game due to the pace. They should have done an X5 style thing where you only had text at the beginning of the level, and at the boss and it "paused" the game as you conversed with the character.

Other than that I'm really hyped for the game. Its the game that I've wanted and the dash/absorb mechanic works much better than I'd expected and doesn't take anything away from the game. Along with Ryu Ga Gotoku Zero this is my most eagerly anticipated game of next year.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Sep 03, 2014 1:35 pm

The last boss of Panzer Dragoon Orta. Even on 'easy', the second form is giving me a right kicking thanks to the lock-on lasers it spews out.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:31 pm

Deus Ex: Invisible War (Xbox) - Not got very far yet but at the moment it feels pretty boring for some reason. Hopefully it will pick up a bit but I've not heard much good about this game prior to playing it so we'll see.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:56 pm

^ It is complete and utter poo, an absolute disgrace compared to the other entries in the series. Absolute rubbish.

Bin it now and play something decent!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 3:03 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ It is complete and utter poo, an absolute disgrace compared to the other entries in the series. Absolute rubbish.

Bin it now and play something decent!
I just think there's too much going on. I mean, all the different upgrades and items so early on feels overwhelming. It seems easier to just shoot the bad guys rather than messing about with abilities etc. The story so far is really boring too. How many times did the player character have to tell somebody in the lab about seeing a guy killed by an explosion? Too many.

The interfaces and various menus etc. don't feel streamlined and intuitive enough either. Tried to hack some sort of robot spider but getting close enough to start the hacking meant getting a face full of electricity! I will still give the game a bit more time before binning it (I haven't played the original anyway so had no preconceptions).

Unless it's disliked for other reasons than those I've mentioned?!?