What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

IronMaidenRule

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by IronMaidenRule » Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:31 am

Portal 2 - didn't think I would enjoy this title, but having a great time, defeated GlaDOS and making my way through some 1950's type testing facility and getting used to this blue gel stuff.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:23 am

The Walking Dead (PC) -
After having recently completed Back to the Future: The Game (PC) I've now started playing this more recent effort also by Telltale Games. While I've only completed the opening episode so far I certainly see for why the game was so critically acclaimed. Cracking stuff! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:33 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:The Walking Dead (PC) -
After having recently completed Back to the Future: The Game (PC) I've now started playing this more recent effort also by Telltale Games. While I've only completed the opening episode so far I certainly see for why the game was so critically acclaimed. Cracking stuff! :D
I really enjoyed playing this through over the last few weeks. Chapters 4 and 5 especially really build up the story really well and have a few really decent plot twists, chapter 3 was the only chapter that felt somewhat long in the tooth for me.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:42 am

ShadowMan wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:The Walking Dead (PC) -
I really enjoyed playing this through over the last few weeks. Chapters 4 and 5 especially really build up the story really well and have a few really decent plot twists, chapter 3 was the only chapter that felt somewhat long in the tooth for me.
Sounds good to me :D . I'm enjoying witnessing how they've evolved the gameplay mechanics since Back to the Future: The Game . While the first episode didn't perhaps have the same degree of puzzle solving as that earlier game the graphics have come on leaps and bounds. The choices one makes more directly affect how the story develops too which is a definite plus.

I don't know if the art style used has a name (it's kinda like cell shading but not really!). The art style certainly has echoes of the Borderlands series, imho, and that's a good thing as it suits the game well. I think I only paid around a tenner for this so I'm more than happy. :)
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:16 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Sounds good to me :D . I'm enjoying witnessing how they've evolved the gameplay mechanics since Back to the Future: The Game . While the first episode didn't perhaps have the same degree of puzzle solving as that earlier game the graphics have come on leaps and bounds. The choices one makes more directly affect how the story develops too which is a definite plus.

I don't know if the art style used has a name (it's kinda like cell shading but not really!). The art style certainly has echoes of the Borderlands series, imho, and that's a good thing as it suits the game well. I think I only paid around a tenner for this so I'm more than happy. :)
I did like how people remember what you say to them in later chapters. I had a habbit of lieing to people early on and then in the last chapters I had the characters calling me out on basically lieing to them for the first half of the game :lol: I'd have preferred the choices to have more effect on the story (hopefully for season 2!) but I was impressed none the less. My only real complaint on the game was some of the QTE's seemed rather strict on input timing, meaning I ended up failing a couple several times before I "got" how the devs wanted you to approach them.
I did love the art style, they really nailed the comic book look of the series with them.

Is the Back to the Future games worth getting for a fan of the movies/Telltale point and click games? Because I've been interested in picking them up for a while but always held off picking them up for some reason.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:27 am

ShadowMan wrote:Is the Back to the Future games worth getting for a fan of the movies/Telltale point and click games? Because I've been interested in picking them up for a while but always held off picking them up for some reason.
I'd say 'yes' if the price is right. I bought the five episodes for around £8, iirc, and I'd say that was a fair price given that there isn't much, if any, replay value. I played one episode per night for five nights so that represented decent value, imho. Same as approximately 3 pints of beer these days!

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 5:46 am

I'm on my second attempt to get into Far Cry 3. It's going slightly better than my first attempt.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:30 am

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC) - recently picked this one up cheaply. Enjoying the campaign mode so far.

I also just had a play of the Crysis 3 (PC) multiplayer beta that's currently available for two days. Damn me for being such a noob at online FPS games but the game's graphics sure looked good while I was being killed for umpteenth time! :evil: :lol:

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:44 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC) - recently picked this one up cheaply. Enjoying the campaign mode so far.

I also just had a play of the Crysis 3 (PC) multiplayer beta that's currently available for two days. Damn me for being such a noob at online FPS games but the game's graphics sure looked good while I was being killed for umpteenth time! :evil: :lol:
BC2 on the Xbox360 is, without doubt, the greatest MP shooter ever, the FoC downloadable maps, the DLC of Vietnam (which is probably desserted now sadly).... fantastic game... once I'd played this, it made CoD look very simplistic and soleless... playing on BC2 as a squad is fantastic.

The SP isn't great though ... but fun extra....

Just wish BF3 had felt as good.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 7:06 am

slacey1070 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Battlefield: Bad Company 2 (PC) - recently picked this one up cheaply. Enjoying the campaign mode so far.

BC2 on the Xbox360 is, without doubt, the greatest MP shooter ever, the FoC downloadable maps, the DLC of Vietnam (which is probably desserted now sadly).... fantastic game... once I'd played this, it made CoD look very simplistic and soleless... playing on BC2 as a squad is fantastic.

The SP isn't great though ... but fun extra....

Just wish BF3 had felt as good.
No, for me? The greatest PvP MP in the history of modern gaming is BF2:MC ....... BC2 is the closest attempt at getting there though.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:17 am

Servers dead by the time I got BF2.... and BC2 took over my life for a long time... I was not going to be denied a place in the top 10,000 players in the world!

Angry Jock, meanwhile, got top 2,000....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:22 am

slacey1070 wrote:Servers dead by the time I got BF2.... and BC2 took over my life for a long time... I was not going to be denied a place in the top 10,000 players in the world!

Willy waving? I'll have some of that :oops: BF2:MC at the end? There was only 7 players I could get games with unless I levelled down 8) somedays it would take me 3 hours of sitting in games doing nothing to get in a game that would result in me not being able to get into a game :oops: I miss that game, it was ace.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:25 pm

Played some Mario Tennis (GC) and Mario Kart Wii with my brother, good times.

Also playing WWF No Mercy.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:53 am

koopa42 wrote:
slacey1070 wrote:Servers dead by the time I got BF2.... and BC2 took over my life for a long time... I was not going to be denied a place in the top 10,000 players in the world!

Willy waving? I'll have some of that :oops: BF2:MC at the end? There was only 7 players I could get games with unless I levelled down 8) somedays it would take me 3 hours of sitting in games doing nothing to get in a game that would result in me not being able to get into a game :oops: I miss that game, it was ace.
Well, as a below average player, chances to say I did OK can't be missed!!

It did turn into something of an obession for a while....

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 3:56 am

slacey1070 wrote: It did turn into something of an obession for a while....
This. It was still early doors for me and my 360, I only had 4 games (Quake 4, CoD2, BF2:MC and Oblivion) so I pretty much hammered BF and Obliv as I wasn't working at the time :oops: I mean HAMMERED them. I would say easily 8 hour shifts at a time maybe longer 8)