What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

slacey1070

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by slacey1070 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:12 am

I dipped back into some older XBOX360 games I haven't touched for a while over the weekend....

BLOPS - oh dear - I loved this game for a while when it first came out... now? Its horrible. Slow, juddery skating characters... YUCK

Flip side...

Split/Second velocity... what a great racer! really enjoyed it... looked fantastic, and feels great changing the circuit by blowing buildings up.... everyone should give this a whirl if they love racers.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:15 pm

crusto wrote:
Freestyler wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Mass Effect - played this for 2 short stretches before but could never get into it. So now I'm giving it another chance, and hoping I'll finally "get" it
Mass Effect 1: A full-on RPG with a bit of shooting in it.
Mass Effect 2: An RPG with lots of shooting in.
Mass Effect 3: A 3rd Person Shooter with a bit of RPG.
Mass Effect 4: ???
Gears of Mass Effect?
I think Mass Effect 2 hits the "sweet spot" in terms of shooter-RPG mix. It still has its problems ( I absolutely DETEST the introduction of ammo. It's just to pander to the CoD crowd) but on the whole it's a fantastic game. I hope the eventual Mass Effect 4 (and yes, there will be a sequel. It's EA, remember) will pull back to the high standards of ME2.

Probably not though, as I'm almost convinced it'll be an extension of ME3's multiplayer mode. We've all seen just how quick Studios can fart out multiplayer shooters. :cry:

Megamixer wrote:Gave Tekken 6 a bit more a chance and I'm still not feeling it. The actual gameplay/fighting is brilliant and a joy to play but it's the stuff around it that ruins the game for me. The 'Scenario' mode is still boring me to tears (and I'm getting thrashed in it which doesn't help) and even the customisation can't provide a distraction due to the insane prices for items. Why do even the basic items take so long to save up for? Some things even cost 10,000,000! :shock:
Yeah, Tekken 6 is shelved for me. I really wanted to like it, but it's just.... bleurgh. Tekken 4's where I get my fix.

Somebody asked why I haven't tried Tekken 5 yet, but I'm kind of reluctant to try just in case it's more too-much-tinkering-with-the-formula awfulness. maybe I'll rent it first.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:53 pm

I can now say that at the third try I finally get Mass Effect and have been putting some real hours into it. Like most games of its type, the first few hours can be make or break since you start with a lot of talking and few abilities. The vehicle sections don't control very well, and I've only just discovered you have a cannon as well as a machine gun. I did wonder why it took me so long to destroy things :oops:

I will buy ME2 and 3 in turn once they're completed, which should take a fair few weeks. I've also managed to completely avoid the plots of the sequels, and the controversy over the ending, so it doesn't spoil the surprise.........

muppetboy

Post by muppetboy » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:02 pm

Locomotion (Amiga) (released 1992). I fondly remember playing the demo version that appeared on the Amiga Power coverdisk and had played it for hours! Now, thanks to emulation, I can play the full version. Graphics are relatively basic but the game is still as addictive as ever. :)

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:38 pm

muppetboy wrote:Locomotion (Amiga) (released 1992). I fondly remember playing the demo version that appeared on the Amiga Power coverdisk and had played it for hours! Now, thanks to emulation, I can play the full version. Graphics are relatively basic but the game is still as addictive as ever. :)
Yeah, I had that demo disk, too. My dad probably racked up a few days worth of playing time on that. So imagine what happened when we got the full game. :D

dste

Post by dste » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:42 pm

Gone back to playing Kirby Mass Attack today, fun game.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:47 pm

Freestyler wrote:
Somebody asked why I haven't tried Tekken 5 yet, but I'm kind of reluctant to try just in case it's more too-much-tinkering-with-the-formula awfulness. maybe I'll rent it first.
As its a PS2 game I think you will have trouble finding somewhere to rent it :wink:

You could pick it up for a couple of quid though. It's regarded as one of, if not, the best in the series and rightly so.
It pure Tekken without any of the BS and it one of the best looking PS2 games ever!

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:51 pm

Negative Creep wrote:I can now say that at the third try I finally get Mass Effect and have been putting some real hours into it. Like most games of its type, the first few hours can be make or break since you start with a lot of talking and few abilities. The vehicle sections don't control very well, and I've only just discovered you have a cannon as well as a machine gun. I did wonder why it took me so long to destroy things :oops:
A couple things that might help out a bit: (No spoilers!)

If you're playing the "Default" Shepard then you'll be a Soldier. It's not that interesting early on as you don't get many interactive abilities. You don't get to use Warp, Throw, Stasis etc, just shoot a lot. All guns are open to you though, so you're flexible.

You do eventually get one or two Weapon abilities to use (Assassinate for the Sniper Rifle for instance) but for the most part it's a straight shooter. Soldiers improve drastically in ME2 and beyond, so don't think that's "all" you're going to get for the entire series.
Negative Creep wrote:I will buy ME2 and 3 in turn once they're completed, which should take a fair few weeks. I've also managed to completely avoid the plots of the sequels, and the controversy over the ending, so it doesn't spoil the surprise.........
You know what, I bought Mass Effect 3 and played them all one after the other because of the apparently controversial ending. I'd heard so much about all this indoctrination theory business that I wanted to check it out for myself, and I'm 100% glad I did. It's a truly SUPERB games series, be in no doubt. None whatsoever!

In fact I'm playing through it all again now! :lol: This time I'm picking up some DLC along the way, such as ME2's Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival and ME3's From Ashes. I'm not getting them for anything other than to make my 2nd playthrough a bit different as the packs apparently contain a lot of extra storyline. I already have ME1's DLC so I'll do that already. It's not 100% needed, but Bring Down The Sky is pretty cool, from a story perspective.

Plus they were on sale! :P
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:52 pm

Spelunky on the 360 mostly but also this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU325sYqb80

The game is called Endless Forms Most Beautiful and it's a freeware pc remake of a ZX Spectrum homebrew game.

You can download it, and read more about the game, from RGCD.

http://www.rgcd.co.uk/
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:57 pm

Joey wrote:
Freestyler wrote:
As its a PS2 game I think you will have trouble finding somewhere to rent it :wink:

You could pick it up for a couple of quid though. It's regarded as one of, if not, the best in the series and rightly so.
It pure Tekken without any of the BS and it one of the best looking PS2 games ever!

AHH! That's probably why I haven't gotten it then! Stupid me. :P

Dam

Post by Dam » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:16 pm

Now I've finally got a bit of game time, I'm playing Super Paper Mario and Soldier Blade on the Wii. I'm finding SPM a bit dull and slow, but I've stuck with it as far as 6-2 and the horrible 'brobot' boss fight, which is now starting to p1ss me off...

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:29 pm

WRC 2 FIA World Rally Championship, that is a great alternative before starting Dirt: Showdown.

And tonight I started episode 2 of The Walking Dead and immediately got hooked. Brilliant, brilliant work, Telltale Games.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:30 pm

Freestyler wrote:
Joey wrote:
Freestyler wrote:

AHH! That's probably why I haven't gotten it then! Stupid me. :P
Yeah I like Tekken 5, best in the series for me. My word it looks amazing too. :D
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:01 pm

pratty wrote:When you think about it, it's actually one the best games on Wii that makes a mockery of the "only for the casuals" tag the Wii gets. Games don't get much more "hardcore" that DKCR.
I agree - the Wii was the most hardcore console of 2010 in my view - Sin & Punishment 2, Monster Hunter Tri, No More Heroes 2, etc. Some unbelievable experiences can be had on the system. If only it had of been a bit better in its first couple of years.....

________

My copies of Disgaea and Akai Katana arrived this morning - super-fast postage on those bad boys! 8) Anyway, I got stuck into Akai and its really really good. Its better than what I was expecting. Games TM only gave it 6/10 - but hey, they gave the same score to Mario Tennis Open and I haven't out that down since buying it!

Speaking of which..... I'm playing a lot of Mario Tennis online. I'm doing really well for the msot part but for whatever reason my White Yoshi got a bit of a hiding tonight - bestest server of the ball ever, but very average everywhere else. Hmm.....

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:06 pm

DPrinny wrote:Played Kid Icarus on a 3DSXL.
The XL feels a lot better to play on. and Icarus puts a "1" on the old "List of games that justify owning the machine"
It needs to be about 5 none ports
I don't think the 3DS could be considered a format heavy in ports like the GBA was. The 3DS has only two obvious ones ; Ocarina and Starfox, both of which have been remade to a very high standard.

What I would like to know is where did you get to play the XL, and what do you think of the screens? What do you make of the resolution? And brightness?