What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

learnedrobb

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by learnedrobb » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:06 am

Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (3ds)
Lollipop Chainsaw (PS3)
Warcraft 3 (PC)
NES/N64/GC/Wii/WiiU/SMD/SS/DC/PS1/PS2/PS3/PS4/Xbox/360/OneS/PSP/3DS/PSV
PSN: learnedrobb

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:58 am

Negative Creep wrote:Mass Effect - played this for 2 short stretches before but could never get into it. So now I'm giving it another chance, and hoping I'll finally "get" it
Mass Effect 1: A full-on RPG with a bit of shooting in it.
Mass Effect 2: An RPG with lots of shooting in.
Mass Effect 3: A 3rd Person Shooter with a bit of RPG.
Mass Effect 4: ???
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

crusto

Post by crusto » Sun Jul 08, 2012 9:16 am

Freestyler wrote:
Negative Creep wrote:Mass Effect - played this for 2 short stretches before but could never get into it. So now I'm giving it another chance, and hoping I'll finally "get" it
Mass Effect 1: A full-on RPG with a bit of shooting in it.
Mass Effect 2: An RPG with lots of shooting in.
Mass Effect 3: A 3rd Person Shooter with a bit of RPG.
Mass Effect 4: ???
Gears of Mass Effect?

Eat your nans pants

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Jul 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Xbox 360 : Vanquish (highly intense shooting action, everytime i die, which is a lot, i swear... A LOT! :twisted:

Nintendo 3DS : Heroes Of Ruin (each time 1 or 2 missions, nice Diablo clone)

PSP : Blazing Souls Accelate (kind of like FF Tactics, got very negative reviews but this came out about a month ago and seems like a slightly adjusted version so it seems easy to know what to do)

am liking all 3 very much

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sun Jul 08, 2012 2:33 pm

Ferret Oxide wrote:Theatrhythm on the 3DS. It's really good from what I've played so far. Great for a quick play but loads to unlock.
I'm not a huge FF fan - I've only finished VII and only though it was merely a "very good" game. I've played loads of them but I'm not a fan. The demo of Theatrhythm however blew me away with its fun gameplay, challenge, great presentation and excellent music. I actually really got into the groove with that demo 8) Must get the game soon.

dste

Post by dste » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:09 pm

Started playing Donkey Kong Country Returns earlier.

Only played the first five levels but loving it so far.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:11 pm

Symphony of the Night - and almost nothing else - great game and even though ive hit a lost wandering around for ages bit , i still love it.

Dave300

Post by Dave300 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 5:38 pm

Me and a mate had a go at Olympics - London 2012 for PS3 and it's a cracking little game. Presentation and graphics are very impressive for a type of game that's usually stuck together at the last minute to spin as much revenue as possible from a large event.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:16 pm

I was starting to think I was the only one ;)

It's really not bad at all. The 'party' events are decent fun and it's got a bit more longevity to it than most have in the past. Me and the missus had a lot of fun playing the javelin target, Archery blitz and Kierin battle events. The vault events are hilarious too. Everytime, I land on my head...

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:21 pm

dste wrote:Started playing Donkey Kong Country Returns earlier.

It's brilliant mate, the level design is quite often genius. :D

Just be prepared for the barrel rocket levels, I'm stuck on one of the later ones and I think I'm going to have to tap out and use the level guide thingy to get past it. :oops:
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:53 pm

pratty wrote:

Just be prepared for the barrel rocket levels, I'm stuck on one of the later ones and I think I'm going to have to tap out and use the level guide thingy to get past it. :oops:
I agree it is a fantastic video game, with some of the very best graphics on the Wii. I love the level designs and music. Pretty much everything about the game is perfect, apart from a few stupidly difficult bits. You will need a lot of patience to beat the game for sure - the barrel levels require some very deft taps on the A button to get through. Just treat it as a game where you will need to practice and replay stages over and over - like old school games, and you will be able to get through it. If it wasn't so annoying at times it would likely be one of my very favourite video games of this generation.

pratty

Post by pratty » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:25 pm

Evermore wrote:
pratty wrote:

I agree it is a fantastic video game, with some of the very best graphics on the Wii. I love the level designs and music. Pretty much everything about the game is perfect, apart from a few stupidly difficult bits. You will need a lot of patience to beat the game for sure - the barrel levels require some very deft taps on the A button to get through. Just treat it as a game where you will need to practice and replay stages over and over - like old school games, and you will be able to get through it. If it wasn't so annoying at times it would likely be one of my very favourite video games of this generation.
When you think about it, it's actually one the best games on Wii that makes a mockery of the "only for the casuals" tag the Wii gets. Games don't get much more "hardcore" that DKCR.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jul 09, 2012 5:19 am

Gave Tekken 6 a bit more a chance and I'm still not feeling it. The actual gameplay/fighting is brilliant and a joy to play but it's the stuff around it that ruins the game for me. The 'Scenario' mode is still boring me to tears (and I'm getting thrashed in it which doesn't help) and even the customisation can't provide a distraction due to the insane prices for items. Why do even the basic items take so long to save up for? Some things even cost 10,000,000! :shock: .

Basically I'm only playing Survival and Team Battle. Can't be arsed with Arcade because it means Azazel and that massive Nancy robot thing. Probably going to give it some more casual play and just wait for Tag 2 which I'll hopefully be able to 'properly' get into like I have with past Tekken games.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:17 am

Played Kid Icarus on a 3DSXL.
The XL feels a lot better to play on. and Icarus puts a "1" on the old "List of games that justify owning the machine"
It needs to be about 5 none ports

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:13 am

Had a go on Ridge Racer Unbounded, it really isn't as bad as some people seem to think it is!!