What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
Liamh1982
Posts: 8297
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:11 am
Location: Wrexham
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Liamh1982 » Wed Jul 04, 2012 3:04 am

You want cheap bosses?

I've been playing Samurai Shodown 2 on NGPC and the big monster chained up is unbelievably cheap.
No matter your tactics, he'll get you. Stay in close, he'll either swallow your head or send you flying with a huge fist. Retreat and he'll bang the floor causing boulders to crash down - blocking only partially works.
He's too big to jump over so you can't attack him from the back.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHH!!! :twisted:

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11130
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:05 am

I gave the Resident Evil 6 demo a try. Its split into 3 bits...

Leon's is ok. Its the very beginning of his scenario so 75% of the chapter is slow walking with nothing happening at all. The scenary and lighting are both great and its at least a lot more atmospheric than RE5 was.

Chris' Chapter is the opposite - its a very fast based section where you are fighting off against weird RE5 style enemies (they have guns which sucks, they are censored shots which is rather ammusing :lol: ). These enemies aren't as bad as they sound, as Capcom mentioned in the previews they do transform as the battles go on - some turn into monsters with wings, others arms mutate Krauser style and attack you that way. The cover system seems to suck, I can't figure out how it works exactly. Again, it looks great but it feels more like RE5 compared to Leon's chapter which feels more like old school RE games like 2 and 4.

Jake (Wesker Jr) is sorta a mix of both. His chapter involves facing off against a large enemy much like the first proper boss from Revalations (As in, he's bloody strong, has a huge health bar and has a bastard grab attack!). Not really sure what to make of that chapter yet. It was kinda fun and again it looked good.

There is one big problem in the game though - the camera angle when shooting. It zooms in considerably so the whole left or right side of the screen is taken up by the character and is bloody annoying in big battles (you could get easily blindsided). They need to zoom the camera out considerbly (it was perfect in RE4 so they should just go back to the way it was in that). If they don't fix it I can see it being a very annoying problem in the full game :evil:

The controls really needed more explanation. They are much better in this game than past games (they don't feel stiff or tanklike) but the game did a bad job of explaning how they worked (or more to the point, didn't explain at all)
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:44 am

Liamh1982 wrote:You want cheap bosses?

I've been playing Samurai Shodown 2 on NGPC and the big monster chained up is unbelievably cheap.
No matter your tactics, he'll get you. Stay in close, he'll either swallow your head or send you flying with a huge fist. Retreat and he'll bang the floor causing boulders to crash down - blocking only partially works.
He's too big to jump over so you can't attack him from the back.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGHH!!! :twisted:
Dont remember having to much trouble with him

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14993
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:18 am

ShadowNeku wrote:
Megamixer wrote:As for myself, I started Tekken 6 tonight and I'm kind of disappointed. The arcade mode is very short and Azazel is a horrible cheap b@stard of a boss. The 'scenario' mode is also extremely dull and uninteresting which leaves me with little to get stuck into offline which is a shame as the general gameplay is as brilliant as ever. I'm praying that Tag 2 is much better - the trailers and confirmed content thus far have me feeling positive anyway.
I played it to death and whilst i did enjoy it a lot, the 1 player modes are a bit guff. I found Azazel pretty easy after enough goes. Just find a fast hitting combo and spam it in between his attacks which you should be able to defend and dodge after a while.
Yeah, I have a feeling that Azazel is a boss that becomes easier to beat from experience but I loathe that move where he keeps you at a distance by summoning rocks from the ground :evil: . I mean, True Ogre was a monster design but fairly balanced in Tekken 3. This just seems like a step to far and plot-wise, I don't even understand why Azazel is even there. The most annoying thing is my battle record being ruined by constant losses to Azazel while trying to get to grips with him.

Online play has never really done it for me as I'm the kind of fighting game player who can hold his own and learn the moves but I'm not really good enough to take on the pros who dominate the online side of things. I remember going online in Soul Calibur IV and getting completely trashed. This is why crap single player content aggravates me because it's where I spend most of my time in a fighting game so a short arcade mode with a horrible end boss and another so-so Tekken Force style sub-game just isn't good enough.

I liked that mode in Dark Resurrection where you advance through dojos and tournaments, gradually levelling up. Wish something like that had been in T6.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
gmintyfresh
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Leeds England
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jul 04, 2012 7:23 am

More Gradius on the PSP which I'm actually finding to be loads of fun!

User avatar
ShadowNeku
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:29 am

Megamixer wrote:
Online play has never really done it for me as I'm the kind of fighting game player who can hold his own and learn the moves but I'm not really good enough to take on the pros who dominate the online side of things. I remember going online in Soul Calibur IV and getting completely trashed. This is why crap single player content aggravates me because it's where I spend most of my time in a fighting game so a short arcade mode with a horrible end boss and another so-so Tekken Force style sub-game just isn't good enough.

I liked that mode in Dark Resurrection where you advance through dojos and tournaments, gradually levelling up. Wish something like that had been in T6.
Yeah im the same. Mainly play fighters for their one player modes, hence why i didnt buy Tekken Prime on 3DS. The Dojo mode in Tekken 5 was brilliant and wish it had been brough into Tekken 6, but instead we got the "Tekken Force" mode thing that doesnt play brilliantly (though admittedly i did complete the whole thing and collected loads of gear for characters).
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

User avatar
SirClive
Posts: 20261
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:25 pm
Location: Planet Sinclair
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SirClive » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:31 am

Lego Batman 2 mostly, but am going to pick up the Ratchet and Clank Trilogy HD (my fave ever game series) as soon as I have time.
Image

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:18 am

Rise of Nightmares.

This game is absolutely brilliant! The whole game gives off those cheesy cliche horror vibe and tries to compensate for a generic story by adding absolutely loads of gore. You know what? It totally works!! :lol: it's like playing through every other late night horror flick on Film4!

When it comes to the actual gameplay, it fares far better than I thought it would. Combat is fast and fluid, it reads my movements without any hiccups and feels incredibly satisfying. Walking and exploring is somewhat harder, you turn by shifting your shoulders and move forward by stepping forward with one foot. The result is you feel like you're surfing :lol: which helps to make things even more ridiculous.

Can't wait to get further in, absolutely loving it.

I also started on Minecraft (360) it's so maddeningly addictive! I spent 4 hours last night hacking away at a mountain that ruined the view from my porch :lol:
Image

User avatar
nakamura
Posts: 7582
Joined: Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:32 pm
Location: Bournemouth
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by nakamura » Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:03 am

Had a shooter session last night and what fun it was too.

First up was Crisis Zone which is excellent fun. Nice visuals and it seems a decent sized story mode. Time Crisis 2 came next which is probably my fav game in the series. Good clean arcade shooting fun and the G-con is still great to use.

Next up I moved to the Wii and played Resident Evil Umbrella Chronicles. After taking a while to get used to the frankly censored Wii remote it was very good. You simply cannot aim down the sights though as it is nothing like a lightgun, you need to rely on the cursor.
Moved to Link's Crossbow Training lastly. Really is a great fun Point Blank style game. Only downside is that it only has 27 areas and really it needed at least double.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by samhain81 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 7:37 am

Rayne wrote:Rise of Nightmares.

This game is absolutely brilliant! The whole game gives off those cheesy cliche horror vibe and tries to compensate for a generic story by adding absolutely loads of gore. You know what? It totally works!! :lol: it's like playing through every other late night horror flick on Film4!

When it comes to the actual gameplay, it fares far better than I thought it would. Combat is fast and fluid, it reads my movements without any hiccups and feels incredibly satisfying. Walking and exploring is somewhat harder, you turn by shifting your shoulders and move forward by stepping forward with one foot. The result is you feel like you're surfing :lol: which helps to make things even more ridiculous.

Can't wait to get further in, absolutely loving it.

I also started on Minecraft (360) it's so maddeningly addictive! I spent 4 hours last night hacking away at a mountain that ruined the view from my porch :lol:
It is good.

The only thing I found annoying were the doors, which required awkward motions. Some need pushed, others pulled, and others slid (like train doors). All of which are quite unresponsive

User avatar
Space_turnip
Posts: 3930
Joined: Sat May 17, 2008 5:15 pm
Location: Yate, Bristol

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Jul 05, 2012 8:26 am

London 2012.
My odd love of Olympic games has not been dimmed by it either, it's not bad at all. Button mashing gone (for the most part) and some interesting events. They also managed to address half the issues I have with these games every time (actually trying to replicate the way the events will be contested, a 'hard' difficulty level that actually is a challenge, times/distances that aren't stupidly inaccurate). Good fun all in all.
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 24911
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jul 05, 2012 11:45 am

More Beast rider
It would be great if I could get the timing for the one hit kills down. Its both great and censored at the same time.
Ripping off a beasts head is bloody awesome

User avatar
commanderkaiser
Posts: 663
Joined: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:42 am
Location: Birmingham

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by commanderkaiser » Thu Jul 05, 2012 2:49 pm

Zombie Driver which I got off Steam in the sale the other day,

It's actually very good, simple and fun. The only problem I have is I'm stuck on what I think is the last level, the difficulty seems to have gone from easy throughout the entire game to hard
Image

User avatar
neuromancer
Posts: 1581
Joined: Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:04 pm
Location: /dev/null
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by neuromancer » Thu Jul 05, 2012 3:45 pm

Gears of War (first one).

whilst the graphics and music are (unsurprisingly) not quite as good as Gears 2 (completed last week) I'm finding the combat more satisying, and the feeling of being part of a squad seems to work better. Early days yet, just killed the (first?) bezerker with the Hammer of Dawn.

User avatar
Sel Feena
Posts: 3549
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:38 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:04 pm

Gal Gun arrived today, so I've had a go on the game to try it out. It's pretty good fun, if very odd. The controls feel a little twitchy but it's not a gamebreaker. This game is definitely one of those you have to try at least once, even if it's just to shake your head in bemusement! :D
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests