What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:52 am

Playing Metrocross on Atari ST. I kinda like this game.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:54 am

I am totally getting into Mass Effect now with a good 20+hrs under my belt and I've still only done 1 true mission so far, the rest of the time I've been traveling through space to other galaxies running side missions, exploring planets for minerals etc. In this respect it actually reminds me of Frontier on the Amiga, it has that same feeling of exploration and freedom. When you combine this with the slick Mako driving sections (which also look incredible), the 3rd person real-time gun battles and the rich dialog with the classic Bioware response tree's It's accumulates into pretty amazing package.

I have to say it took a good 8hrs just to get the hang on things, you can't just jump in and enjoy like KOTOR. There's a LOT of reading to be done, but I would certainly rate it way above KOTOR now and by default that makes it one of the best games I've ever played.

This game makes me feel like the next gen has finally arrived!

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:24 am

C=Style wrote:I am totally getting into Mass Effect now with a good 20+hrs under my belt and I've still only done 1 true mission so far, the rest of the time I've been traveling through space to other galaxies running side missions, exploring planets for minerals etc. In this respect it actually reminds me of Frontier on the Amiga, it has that same feeling of exploration and freedom. When you combine this with the slick Mako driving sections (which also look incredible), the 3rd person real-time gun battles and the rich dialog with the classic Bioware response tree's It's accumulates into pretty amazing package.

I have to say it took a good 8hrs just to get the hang on things, you can't just jump in and enjoy like KOTOR. There's a LOT of reading to be done, but I would certainly rate it way above KOTOR now and by default that makes it one of the best games I've ever played.

This game makes me feel like the next gen has finally arrived!
Watch this review of Mass Effect here.

It funny!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/article ... ass-Effect

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:07 am

haha brilliant!

will2097

Post by will2097 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:16 am

Have been playing, again, Colony Wars. (this game needs a PS3 update!)

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sat Feb 16, 2008 6:27 pm

Gone through the first 21 levels of Earth Defence Force 2017 on the 360, has anyone else played this? I've gone up against Giant Ants, Spiders, Spaceships, Robots and one rather large Godzilla type creature so far, it's one crazy ass game.
Splink!

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:04 pm

Saturn: Burning Rangers, Wipeout 2097, Daytona USA CCE, Clockwork Knight 2 and Thunderforce 5.

PS1/2: Oni, Moto Racer and R Type Final (amazing game).

Gamecube: RE4, Waverace Bluestorm, Driven (dire), SSX 3, Conan (rocks) and X-Men.

360: MotoGP 06, Tony Hawks Project 8, Forza 2.

It's a games-fest in here tonight.
Thoughts and prayers.

Sureshot

Post by Sureshot » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:13 pm

Shin_Gouki

Post by Shin_Gouki » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:06 am

Just beat Bowser on Super Mario Galaxy, now to earn the "secret" ending!

Also enjoying Gate of Thunder, best shmup I've played in a long time! :D
真・豪鬼

JackPainter

Post by JackPainter » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:06 am

I was playing Mega Man 2 the other night - my thumbs are now broken.

I'm currently playing Quake II for the N64. Ultra-violent game.
XBOX LIVE: JackFrustration
PSN Account: JackSawyer

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:55 am

Psyvariar 2 The will to fabricate - DC, a very cool shooter and not at all like the very average Psyvariar.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:29 am

Is Psyvariar 2 worth persevering with then? I have played it a few times but I can't work it out for some reason, it just seems like my ship is underpowered and then for a split second it starts firing heavy bullets out, and then it goes back to a weak shot for no reason. Quite confusing that, but I did like the look of it.

reech

Post by reech » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:43 am

It's not retro, but it COULD be - I've just grabbed Audiosurf from Steam. Plays your music tracks, makes a race track and then you play Tetris and Bejewelled.

Sounds awful, but is great fun.

(And honestly, it's the only thing that makes 'Girls Aloud' bearable...)
--reech

Sega2006

Post by Sega2006 » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:01 pm

Of Late Ive been playing NFS MW with car replacement mods in place and GTA VC to look at a Delorean mod to help me get my Model kit right.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 12:05 pm

C=Style wrote:Is Psyvariar 2 worth persevering with then? I have played it a few times but I can't work it out for some reason, it just seems like my ship is underpowered and then for a split second it starts firing heavy bullets out, and then it goes back to a weak shot for no reason. Quite confusing that, but I did like the look of it.
Yep you really have to get buzzing those bullets to power up, I think it's more about scoring loads than powering your ship up to ridiculous levels.