What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
ShadowNeku
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon May 09, 2011 8:52 pm

killbot wrote:I'm going to throw this one open to the floor - I've just finished OoT, should I immediately plough into Majora's Mask?

I don't want another game as long as OoT, but with only four main dungeons I assume MM is shorter. Is my assumption faulty?
Id say its just as long as Ocarina, maybe longer if youre planning on getting all the masks and completing all the tasks for the people in town. Its not as simple as just four dungeons either, theres lots of stuff on the side you have to do to access the dungeons. Lots of experimenting that needs to be done too, by checking each location on different days and at different times.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by killbot » Mon May 09, 2011 9:06 pm

ShadowNeku wrote:
killbot wrote:I'm going to throw this one open to the floor - I've just finished OoT, should I immediately plough into Majora's Mask?

I don't want another game as long as OoT, but with only four main dungeons I assume MM is shorter. Is my assumption faulty?
Id say its just as long as Ocarina, maybe longer if youre planning on getting all the masks and completing all the tasks for the people in town. Its not as simple as just four dungeons either, theres lots of stuff on the side you have to do to access the dungeons. Lots of experimenting that needs to be done too, by checking each location on different days and at different times.
I've started it anyway - just got to the end of the first day and saved. It's bloody weird, isn't it? But I like it. Makes me wish all the Zelda titles were as experimental. A must play for anyone who thinks that all the recent Zelda games are just reworkings of OoT, I have to say, because despite using the same game engine this is nothing like that. It feels more like a traditional adventure game, with a lot of talking and object manipulation. And the tone is pleasingly dark and creepy in places (I understand that it only gets more so the further you go...)

If I have an issue it's with the save system. What was wrong with the 'save anywhere' system all the other Zelda games used? I didn't get offered the chance to save for the first time until I'd been playing for well over an hour. I understand that now I have the Ocarina back I can save any time, but it will always dump me back to the beginning of the day I was on. Is that right?
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

User avatar
ShadowNeku
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowNeku » Mon May 09, 2011 9:27 pm

killbot wrote:I've started it anyway - just got to the end of the first day and saved. It's bloody weird, isn't it? But I like it. Makes me wish all the Zelda titles were as experimental. A must play for anyone who thinks that all the recent Zelda games are just reworkings of OoT, I have to say, because despite using the same game engine this is nothing like that. It feels more like a traditional adventure game, with a lot of talking and object manipulation. And the tone is pleasingly dark and creepy in places (I understand that it only gets more so the further you go...)

If I have an issue it's with the save system. What was wrong with the 'save anywhere' system all the other Zelda games used? I didn't get offered the chance to save for the first time until I'd been playing for well over an hour. I understand that now I have the Ocarina back I can save any time, but it will always dump me back to the beginning of the day I was on. Is that right?
Totally agreed on the first paragraph. It is quite strange (for a Zelda game at least) but incredible for it. Very much the black sheep of the home console Zelda titles. I liked the slightly darker atmosphere and mood the game resonates, in fact due to a certain video series on youtube i find the game plain scary now :S

Tbh i cant remember the save system too well. Dont you use the owl statues to save? If so, id recommend just sticking to using them, even if it is a pain in the arse to backtrack to find one.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

User avatar
killbot
Posts: 4824
Joined: Thu May 18, 2006 5:36 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by killbot » Tue May 10, 2011 3:17 am

ShadowNeku wrote:Tbh i cant remember the save system too well. Dont you use the owl statues to save? If so, id recommend just sticking to using them, even if it is a pain in the arse to backtrack to find one.
Apparently, if you use the owl statues then you can only use that save once. After that it's deleted and reverts to the last time you saved with the song of time. I guess it's a little like the save system in NSMB Wii where you could only save properly at castles - there was a quicksave option but you could only use each save once.
Image

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

User avatar
mrmarvelxiii
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:49 pm
Location: Turtle Island

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Tue May 10, 2011 4:38 am

killbot wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote:Tbh i cant remember the save system too well. Dont you use the owl statues to save? If so, id recommend just sticking to using them, even if it is a pain in the arse to backtrack to find one.
Apparently, if you use the owl statues then you can only use that save once. After that it's deleted and reverts to the last time you saved with the song of time. I guess it's a little like the save system in NSMB Wii where you could only save properly at castles - there was a quicksave option but you could only use each save once.
It is an odd save system, but I guess it's there to reaffirm that sense of time. I think it's an outstanding Zelda game, along with Wind Waker the best that's been released since OOT. I'm absolutely terrified that Skyward Sword is going to let me down like Twilight Princess did, I felt the game lacked a lot of soul and I wasn't so keen on the animation, characters looked a tad odd (shame because it hosted some of the best dungeons in Zelda history). Skyward sword looks beautiful, here's to hoping the game is worthy alongside the greats!
Chazz it up!!!

User avatar
slacey1070
Posts: 2844
Joined: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:20 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by slacey1070 » Tue May 10, 2011 8:15 am

I've been spending way too much time on Sega Tennis on the DS . . love the mini-games... something very satisfying to knock zombies down with tennis balls!

Mini games are very clever, with good themeing like Jet Set Radio, Choo Choo Rocket, etc.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

User avatar
Fightersmegamix
Posts: 3425
Joined: Sun May 25, 2008 1:41 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Fightersmegamix » Tue May 10, 2011 9:17 am

We love golf - wii. This game is pretty good. Graphics nice, anime characters look good, swing mechanic takes a bit of getting used to but works well, lots of options and stuff to do plus cpacom references ahoy. The only problem seems to be the difficulty, I won the first tournament by 25 shots. Its a lot better than pangya, and the content probably takes it ahead of wii sports resort golf.

User avatar
TheNewMonkey
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by TheNewMonkey » Tue May 10, 2011 10:10 am

Im playing right through mario 3 (all-stars snes version) for the first time ever!
3DS FC 4596-9477-3816

pratty
Posts: 5491
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by pratty » Tue May 10, 2011 10:14 am

killbot wrote:I've started it anyway - just got to the end of the first day and saved. It's bloody weird, isn't it? But I like it. Makes me wish all the Zelda titles were as experimental. A must play for anyone who thinks that all the recent Zelda games are just reworkings of OoT, I have to say, because despite using the same game engine this is nothing like that. It feels more like a traditional adventure game, with a lot of talking and object manipulation. And the tone is pleasingly dark and creepy in places (I understand that it only gets more so the further you go...)

If I have an issue it's with the save system. What was wrong with the 'save anywhere' system all the other Zelda games used? I didn't get offered the chance to save for the first time until I'd been playing for well over an hour. I understand that now I have the Ocarina back I can save any time, but it will always dump me back to the beginning of the day I was on. Is that right?
MM is my favourite Zelda. The save system is weird at first but it shouldn't be an issue. The statues should take care of your quick save needs.

Despite the fewer dungeons it's not really a short game. There are one or two sub dungeons I think plus a lot of subquests. You could rush through the dungeons but it's best to finish the main subquests before you complete game. Eventually you get a notebook to keep track of which subquests you have completed.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
ShadowNeku
Posts: 2135
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:10 am
Location: United Kingdom

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowNeku » Tue May 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Playing Bloody Roar on the PS1. I used to have it when i was a kid until we went broke and my mum had to trade in nearly all our playstation games for money :(

Anyway sop story aside, im actually quite amazed with this! Didnt think the gameplay would stand up so many years on. Such a diverse range of combos you can perform, all the crazy juggling you can do and its very fast and fluid. Im suprised this series didnt get much attention. Its much better than any of the classic Tekken games.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

User avatar
SonicTheHedgehog
Posts: 378
Joined: Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Tue May 10, 2011 12:31 pm

Farzlepot wrote:Bit of HydroThunder epicness lately! Brilliant drunken racer!
Yeah a great arcade racer which i loved back in the day on Dreamcast. Also i would recommend 4 Wheel Thunder also on Dreamcast and another very good arcade racer.

As for Majora's Mask i so hope it gets re released or remade as i missed it the first time around and it looked brilliant and different from all other Zelda's.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Tue May 10, 2011 12:45 pm

Mortal Kombat Advance.

...it's not very good is it? :lol:
Image

User avatar
thevulture
Posts: 10152
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 5:33 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by thevulture » Tue May 10, 2011 1:33 pm

The Chaos Engine on MD via emulator on PSP.

Shinobi 3 on The Sega MD Collection (PS3)-It's not bad, but Revenge Of Shinobi, far superior.

User avatar
SoupDragon
Posts: 2087
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:20 pm
Location: Carmarthenshire, Wales

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SoupDragon » Tue May 10, 2011 2:01 pm

Soul Fighter on the Dreamcast. Blimey i don't remember the controls being like this.
Image

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Tue May 10, 2011 2:44 pm

Finally got around to trying Klonoa on the Wii. It's an absolutely lovely little platformer! The story is snore inducingly childish and the voice-work is no better but that doesn't matter thanks to the awesome gameplay. The fact it's on the rails with branching paths makes it feel really unique, as does the jumping mechanic. It'd actually make on hell of a 3DS game..
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests