What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Farzlepot

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Farzlepot » Sun May 08, 2011 8:00 pm

Bit of HydroThunder epicness lately! Brilliant drunken racer!

Liamh1982

Post by Liamh1982 » Mon May 09, 2011 2:58 am

Uaithne wrote:Have been sick all weekend, so nothing much got played. I did however break out the Virtual Boy (mainly to test that it worked) and played some Wario Land on it - it's not a bad game at all, and kind of cool how you can move between the 'background' and the 'foreground'.

Managed to take this shot through the left hand eyepiece with my phone...

All the reviews were right though - a bit of a headache not far into playing it (though whether that was caused by me already being sick, I don't know). It probably would have been an alright system if they had worked out some way to 'wear' the system rather than having to sit in an awkward position with it on a table.
Do what AVGN did and duct tape it to your head! :lol: :lol: :lol:

greenberet79

Post by greenberet79 » Mon May 09, 2011 6:57 am

Lumines 2 on the PSP. Good puzzler.
"Very soon our luck will change, we'll do what we need to do to win matches, and we'll fly."

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon May 09, 2011 7:54 am

Speedball 2 and Wings on the GBA. Speedball 2 is as playable as it ever was with enhanced graphics, worse sound and still has a crushing difficulty in single player. It's a bit difficult to see what you're doing on the Micro so it's definitely one to play on the GB Player.

Wings is good but it's different to the original in a number of ways. The dogfighting runs a lot smoother but it's just not as fun, it feels much more simplified plus the planes gun's jam every few seconds lol, it used to happen on the Amiga game every now and then but the GBA version takes it too far. It's frustrating when you eventually line up the enemy in your sights and you just know the guns are gonna jam, and that's exactly what happens. The Strafing and Bombing runs are also different, I feel these are improved over the Amiga levels but that's not saying a great deal as they were a bit lame anyway. So it's a good game to have a quick play on the go, but it could of been better and doesn't have the polish or longevity of the Amiga original.

I really wish The Chaos Engine came out on GBA, I read that it was being worked on in 2002 but for some reason it was scrapped.

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Mon May 09, 2011 8:35 am

Still can't leave Madden 2011 alone, that and Cauldron 2

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Mon May 09, 2011 9:08 am

Liamh1982 wrote:Do what AVGN did and duct tape it to your head! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Or do what Nathan Barnatt did and make a Tron suit to match. :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CAtrkMGNp0o
Logged out 15/07/2014.

dste

Post by dste » Mon May 09, 2011 11:05 am

Was testing my Amiga 500 earlier and played some Captain Planet and SFII.

Was pleasantly surprised with SFII I must say.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

pratty

Post by pratty » Mon May 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Did some more Chrono Trigger DS today, finally got into it now, just completed the first dungeon/boss, quite enjoying it so far.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Mon May 09, 2011 3:06 pm

SSFIV on 360 online and lots of Children of Mana on iPhone.

Judoscar

Post by Judoscar » Mon May 09, 2011 4:46 pm

Played three today. Quick go on Super Pang (SNES), and found myself storming through the stages. Thought it would be harder!

This evening I had a couple of hours so ploughed 45 minutes into today's new arrival ... Rollcage (PSX). Love the game, but the third level (red planet) is just a bugger and I could not get better than last every time! Still won the championship. Could not save the game though which was really annoying.

I also got out Destruction Derby 2 for over an hour. This is just torture. I was leading for 9 laps and on the final bend I was 'nudged' gently from behind, and flipped spun and generally go destroyed until I was 17th. Lovely. Still great game though. If I ever touched another car I span like a circus plate, but the other cars just seemed to carry on regardless!

Got bids on Rollcage Stage 2 & Destruction Derby 2 on ebay as a result!

My PSX collection now stands at a massive 9 games !! Strikers 1945 II, Ridge 1, Ridge Rev, Rage Racer, Ridge Type 4, DD2, Porsche Challenge Rollcage and Dino Crisis! This is now my current project as I have got all I wanted from the 8 and 16 bit era, and am moving onto 32 bit. Looking forward to buying a Saturn again.

DigitalDuck

Post by DigitalDuck » Mon May 09, 2011 4:59 pm

Judoscar wrote:This evening I had a couple of hours so ploughed 45 minutes into today's new arrival ... Rollcage (PSX). Love the game, but the third level (red planet) is just a bugger and I could not get better than last every time! Still won the championship. Could not save the game though which was really annoying.
Excellent choice... why couldn't you save? There's always the password option if you need it.
Judoscar wrote:Got bids on Rollcage Stage 2 & Destruction Derby 2 on ebay as a result!
Even better choice. Stage II is a much bigger game (content-wise), faster, and generally more balanced and polished. The easy difficulty is easier, but the Masters championship more than makes up for it. I'm totally not saying this just because it's my favouritest racing game ever.
Xbox Live | YouTube | Top games picture | Top games list

Help needed for gaming-related projects! PM or email for full details if you can do:
2D or 3D art
Story writing
Shmup level design

Judoscar

Post by Judoscar » Mon May 09, 2011 5:09 pm

Yes looking forward to it. Not sure what happened with the save ... it just froze after selecting the memory card (which worked fine with DD). Will try again, and maybe write the password down!

The PSX has some wonderful racers.

killbot

Post by killbot » Mon May 09, 2011 6:21 pm

I'm going to throw this one open to the floor - I've just finished OoT, should I immediately plough into Majora's Mask?

I don't want another game as long as OoT, but with only four main dungeons I assume MM is shorter. Is my assumption faulty?

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

Uaithne

Post by Uaithne » Mon May 09, 2011 6:26 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:
Uaithne wrote:Have been sick all weekend, so nothing much got played. I did however break out the Virtual Boy (mainly to test that it worked) and played some Wario Land on it - it's not a bad game at all, and kind of cool how you can move between the 'background' and the 'foreground'.

Managed to take this shot through the left hand eyepiece with my phone...

All the reviews were right though - a bit of a headache not far into playing it (though whether that was caused by me already being sick, I don't know). It probably would have been an alright system if they had worked out some way to 'wear' the system rather than having to sit in an awkward position with it on a table.
Do what AVGN did and duct tape it to your head! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I thought of that, otherwise you "Look like an asshole!" :lol:

"Not to know what happened before you were born is to be a child forever" -Marcus Tullius Cicero, 46BC

Wants List | Items for Sale

TechnicianSi

Post by TechnicianSi » Mon May 09, 2011 7:08 pm

Actually, although it's not quite retro, i've just started playing Darkstar one on the PC. Fantastic game, very reminiscent of Freelancer, just, well, better in every departmen (apart from the cheesy voice acting.)

On a more relevant note, my parter is currently playing Repton on the BBC and, umm, for some reason, Mastertronic's 'Magic Carpet' for the Commodore 64... I know, I know... It's awful! Can't quite work out her logic :lol:
ImageImage
Wish I could could actually program...