What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

nakamura

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by nakamura » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:11 pm

To be fair there is nothing wrong with keyboard controlled games, just ones where you need precision control analogue is a must. For me there is no perfect racing pad. I like everything the 360 pad offers apart from the left thumb position. I would much prefer the left stick to be swapped with the d-pad, much like the Dual Shock.

I much prefer the DS as a pad, but the 360 pad offers better overall feel for racers.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:38 pm

Like Space_turnip said - PC keyboard is generally great for racing games. But I suppose my Logitech Formula Force wheel could prove to be a game changer with Shift2 :? :?
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:54 pm

Alan Wake, it's ok, kinda scary, some of the mechanics dont sit well with me though; Alan always seems to be in my way of viewing stuff, plus the A - shoot some stuff - B, mission structure is tiresome already after 2 chapters.

Seems a bit wierd how he's always in the same clothes, even in the flashbacks from 3 years ago, I mean, is he Bart Simpson or something?

Chucktaylor

Post by Chucktaylor » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:01 am

Super Mario World
haha great game

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:10 am

FatTrucker wrote:Following the Dawn of War games I was really looking forward to Battle March, was gutted to find it was basically a remake of SOHR and DO, same interface, same issues and the view distance required to make the battlefield useful meant that effectively exactly the same visuals. Was deeply disappointed with it.
well im still giving it a go if i wasnt a warhammer fan from way back i would have given up aeons ago, but it really is worse than its PS1 predecessors, a combination of useless manual & tutorial coupled with the most over complicated control system, just printed off a 2 page online guide which is for nothing more than the basic controls. :roll: I spent 20 mins last night just trying to figure out how to put a hero on a horse and failed :lol:
Last edited by firebreather on Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 07, 2011 5:21 am

Spent all night last night playing NFS Underground 2 last night. Good hooked on the damn thing!
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:06 am

firebreather wrote:
FatTrucker wrote:Following the Dawn of War games I was really looking forward to Battle March, was gutted to find it was basically a remake of SOHR and DO, same interface, same issues and the view distance required to make the battlefield useful meant that effectively exactly the same visuals. Was deeply disappointed with it.
well im still giving it a go if i wasnt a warhammer fan from way back i would have given up aeons ago, but it really is worse than its PS1 predecessors, a combination of useless manual & tutorial coupled with the most over complicated control system, just printed off a 2 page online guide which is for nothing more than the basic controls. :roll: I spent 20 mins last night just trying to figure out how to put a hero on a horse and failed :lol:
I'm a huge Warhammer fan and I've tried getting into this three times now. The thing, is I know there's a good game in there somewhere. I've had a couple of battles where everything clicked and the control system made sense. But then next battle everything I've learned so far has been thrown out the window as the controls change through contextual nonsense involving the heroes. It's a really poor interface. And the manual? Good grief. It really bears no relation at all to what happens once you're out of the tutorial. The game obviously has a lot more complexity than SOTHR and DO but it's no good if it's all lost in an inscrutable control scheme.

doogs

Post by doogs » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:19 am

I currently playing my fisrst ever Zelda game!! (I know I know)
Zelda A link to the past on the GBA.
Really good though struggling what to do next after getting the first orb thingy and the pegasus boots. Trying to avoid a guide at the moment.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:22 am

doogs wrote:I currently playing my fisrst ever Zelda game!! (I know I know)
Zelda A link to the past on the GBA.
Really good though struggling what to do next after getting the first orb thingy and the pegasus boots. Trying to avoid a guide at the moment.
For me that is the best Zelda game. It is very more than possible to complete without a guide if you a shrewd. There are plenty of clues in there to be found. A very very clever game and one of my fav of all time.

Enjoy. :D

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:22 am

@ crunchy, have you tried LOTR battle for middle earth 2, this is what the warhammer game could have been, reletively easy to get to grips with, great story and looks beautiful my only complaint about it would be its too short.

snowkatt

Post by snowkatt » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:51 am

still dreamcast games
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

Crunchy

Post by Crunchy » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:10 am

firebreather wrote:@ crunchy, have you tried LOTR battle for middle earth 2, this is what the warhammer game could have been, reletively easy to get to grips with, great story and looks beautiful my only complaint about it would be its too short.
LOTRBME is a different sort of game. The attraction of Warhammer games like SOTHR and DO is that they dispense with the tedious base building and resource gathering of standard RTS games. There aren't that many strategy war games around these days, nearly all of them go the RTS route. Which is why Battle March, although a complete hash job, gets repeated attempts from me to get "into" it. I'd take the front end and control system of BME, of course. It's got to be better than what Battle March has. The rest of the game, especially the setting, I'm not that interested in.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:14 pm

I've got this love/hate relationship with Mario Kart Wii going on atm, been playing quite a bit online and it's so incredibly frustrating at times when you are leading a race and the blue shells head your way and there's nothing you can do, but it's all part of the fun and when you do win it's a very good feeling. It's an excellent game that has been fine crafted to allow anybody to play and indeed win. It's just one of them games that's fun to play I guess.

Mario Kart DS is a bit different and requires a lot more skill to win races I've found (I'm always losing), both games are really good fun online and very additive too.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:32 pm

Lost planet 2. Its ok so far, looks really nice, plenty of options, healthy online community, i can see myself playing it through a few times.

dste

Post by dste » Fri Apr 08, 2011 3:39 pm

Just on the last level of Goldeneye: Rogue Agent for the Cube, doing it in stages as the levels are quite long and can be frustrating going back when you die.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!