What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:43 pm

llj wrote:
Megamixer wrote:To be honest, I found the audio noticeably inferior in this version compared to the Saturn Vampire Saviour. It's definitely a good port gameplay-wise though which makes a change after playing some of the badly compromised Capcom Vs games on the PS1.

I've got the PAL and US versions of DS3 (I'm collecting every Darkstalkers release since I'm a huge fan) but I've yet to play the US versions and see if the 60Hz of the NTSC version makes any noticeable difference.
I think all fighting games on Playstation CDs had pretty inferior audio. SFA 3 on the PS1 is noticeably tinnier than the Anthology version on PS2, and of course I mentioned the PS2 Marvel vs Capcom 2 CD a while back as being inferior audio-wise.
An interesting thing I noticed with the first Darkstalkers is that there are several animations and sound effects that aren't in the sequel for the Saturn. Considering the Saturn was supposed to be superior with the 2D fighters, it surprised and impressed me that the PS1 predecessor ro Nightwarriors/Vampire Hunter actually had the particles rising around Morrigan in her standing pose and Pyron's evil laugh during one of his victory animations.

To be honest, (audio aside), I didn't really think the likes of Marvel Superheroes and Capcom Vs SNK were that bad on the PS1. Compared to the Saturn/DC ports they were noticeably suffering but taken for what they were, they were pretty playable.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 02, 2011 2:51 pm

Back to the Future
That recent one.
Started out well, but has started to remind me why I dont really like point and click games

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sat Apr 02, 2011 3:24 pm

Megamixer wrote:
To be honest, (audio aside), I didn't really think the likes of Marvel Superheroes and Capcom Vs SNK were that bad on the PS1. Compared to the Saturn/DC ports they were noticeably suffering but taken for what they were, they were pretty playable.
I found PS1 Capcom vs SNK to be really good. Yes it is better on the DC but it was a really good port. Played perfectly well, the only real issue is the loading.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

GarryG

Post by GarryG » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:02 am

Err, mostly M.A.G. on PSN... that's RETRO now, right? :mrgreen:

Oh, and 'Thrill Kill', well I found an old copy of the disk I must have burned years ago, and just wondered if it still worked...
I know it got bashed something awfull at the time, but IMO it iisn't half as bad as some stuff that was actualy released!
Why not visit my ramblings at Garry's Gaming Blog

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:25 pm

Back to the Future the game
Seen the ending.
Its a bit short

But the film started as I finished so the timing was great

SpiffierRabbit

Post by SpiffierRabbit » Sun Apr 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Reach

Edwards80

Post by Edwards80 » Sun Apr 03, 2011 3:46 pm

Visited the brother in law today and we ended up playing Project Gotham Racing on the original Xbox. Still a fun game!

markopoloman

Post by markopoloman » Sun Apr 03, 2011 5:45 pm

Shift 2 on PC.

Looks really nice. It is trying very hard to be Grid.

But currently it is failing. :evil: Will play some more and give it time.
OFF TOPIC DISCUSSIONS - http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:01 am

Still working my way through Yakuza 4. Up to part 3 and have finally got the hang of scoring big in the baseball mini game. Next to MvC3 this is easily my favourite game of the year so far.

Marvel Vs Capcom 3. Still playing the online part of the game alot mainly with my Deapdool, Taskmaster, Sentinel team which has been having quite a bit of success. Aside from the time it sometimes takes to find online matches I don't have a bad thing to say about the online side of the game, I'm still enjoying it slightly more than SSFIV.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:09 am

markopoloman wrote:Shift 2 on PC.

Looks really nice. It is trying very hard to be Grid.
Why would you want to try hard to be a rubbish game?
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:41 pm

Just beat the Godzilla knock-off in Destroy All Humans 2!. A bit of a long and excessively drawn-out battle methinks but I'm still enjoying the game. Loads to do compared to the original.

Also played some Guardians of the Hood on MAME as I attempt to revive my blog and write about another crap game or two. Man I hate this game - so getting deleted from my rom set once I've done my write-up.
Last edited by Megamixer on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:43 pm

Tetris....all i see are blocks.....i was even reorganising pallets today at work for the best fit with no gaps..... :lol:
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:57 pm

Well I had a go on Vampire Savour collection thing on Dreamcast.

It made me wonder where my Saturn pad adapter is

Been playing that Streets of Rage remake.
It keeps cocking up at somepoint (screen stops moving but game keeps going on)

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:59 pm

Motorstorm Apocolypse.

Really enjoying this. The festival is very short this time round though, I'm 75% through already after a couple of hours play. The effects and visuals look very good and the vehicle selection is the best of the series. Theres one particular race around a fairground/pier whilst a tornado is battering the environment which is awsome!

Also just started Toca Race Driver on PS2. It's not the best racer I've played but it seems it won't take long to get through and if I start on the 2nd or 3rd game before this I know I won't come back to it. Also nice to see it play at 60fps.

C=Style

Post by C=Style » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:24 pm

Mario Kart Wii - Doing my head in..

Mario Kart DS - Loving it!