What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ArcadeMYK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ArcadeMYK » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:40 pm

as i'm currently moving house all my pretty's are all packed snugly into my travel suitcase awaiting their new home show/room(the lounge room..the GF is not amused=)... so its lately been prortable love

on my new big DSiXL its been Geometry Wars Galaxies and my other highscore chaser Pacman from the Namco Museum DS.. currently sitting at about 52,200 points
it soon becomes a game which goes from lining up the ghosts, eating all of them then clearing as many pellets (I'll call them) as you can
to
holy sh!t dodge, dodge, eat power pellet, the ghosts are too fast can only eat 2 or 3 max, dodge dodge run out to get those corner pellets run back, avoid being cornered, use their patters agains them, dodge, eat a pellet then die ARGH!!
Practice makes perfect though, 60,000 points is my aim for the end of the week.
From Game&Watch to PS2 and Arcade in between, its been so much fun every single step of the way.

VideoGame Addict since 1989

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:19 am

I'm still working my way through Super Street Fighter 4 online. I've managed to rank up 19 characters to Rank C and am now working on Guile. Be interesting to see how many I get ranked up before starting Marvel Vs Capcom 3 later this month...

I'm also finishing up the challenges and grafitti souls in Jet Set Radio Future which is in many ways more fun than most of the main story mode.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Judoscar

Post by Judoscar » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:44 am

Alan Wake is really annoying me now. Getting really repetitive (scenery, combat) and the story is utter pap. So turned it off and played Wave Race 64 instead. Bliss. Still probably my favourite 'racing' game by a long chalk.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:56 am

Dig-Baku, one of those indie games you've been hearing about. Manic stuff this, bad for your keyboard. So far I can get up to Level 14 before running out of lives. No save games here.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

flying_delorean81

Post by flying_delorean81 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:07 am

Gradually getting through Dead Space 2, half an hour at a time due to a hectic schedule this week. So far very similar to the first game, but that's not a bad thing of course!

When I get a chance I've been firing up Pac Man Championship Edition DX and Space Invaders Infinity Gene as both games are just pure fun.
My Instagram: @caveofpixels
My Facebook: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My Tumblr: THE CAVE OF PIXELS
My DeviantART page: caveofpixels.deviantart.com

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:35 am

flying_delorean81 wrote:When I get a chance I've been firing up Pac Man Championship Edition DX and Space Invaders Infinity Gene as both games are just pure fun.
That Pac-Man thing is the best thing ever at the moment - I'm in the Top 20% on the leaderboards! Makes me feel big and clever, that does.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Feb 02, 2011 7:46 am

ShadowNeku wrote:Harry potter and the philosophers stone on PS1. Lol.

I picked it up from a chairty shop ages ago. An hour and a half in and im 50% through.
I got that with my replacement PSone when my PlayStation died. Completed it in a day or so.. Rofl!
Logged out 15/07/2014.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:48 pm

DJ Max Fever - Super cool music rhythm game. I've played one of them before and this is much the same. The addition of the XP leveling system and gold give you a great sense of progression though :)

Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - In a word, addictive. I went to give it a 10 minute whirl and 2 hours later I finally put it down. Easy to get into and insanely deep, I can see myself loosing just as much time in this as I did with Tri last year.

Motorstorm Arctic Edge - Absolutely amazing game, if it wasn't for the fact I got it free, I'd buy it :oops: . Different vehicles to use, huge maps, great visuals, and most importantly, the gameplay is just pure fun. Easily the best racing game I've played on the PSP.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:55 pm

speedlolita wrote:

I picked it up from a chairty shop ages ago. An hour and a half in and im 50% through.
I got that with my replacement PSone when my PlayStation died. Completed it in a day or so.. Rofl!
I've owned it twice and for some reason, enjoyed it both times. I have no idea why :oops:

As for me, I beat Shannon in God Hand last night. It was the second time you fight her and I'm assuming this was the one where people say it's very hard. I got lucky and stored up 4 roulette gems prior to the fight so I whacked her with two Lv2 roulette attacks to get rid of 50% of her life straight away then activated my tension meter a couple of times to finish her off.

The only thing I think is unbalanced about God Hand is the nature of the pick-ups. You can fight a boss and all the destructible crates have useless items inside then the next time around, they can be full of really good stuff that can actually win the battle for you. A bit too random if you ask me but I'm not complaining!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:04 pm

speedlolita wrote:

Its actually not too bad considering. I just spent an hour in gringots bank doing this ridiculous coin collecting minigame. Its one of the most annoying things ive ever had to do in a game!
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:07 pm

ShadowNeku wrote: Its actually not too bad considering. I just spent an hour in gringots bank doing this ridiculous coin collecting minigame. Its one of the most annoying things ive ever had to do in a game!
The rollercoaster thing? That p1ssed me off something terrible too. I can still remember the music for that stage now that think about it!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:11 pm

Megamixer wrote:
ShadowNeku wrote: Its actually not too bad considering. I just spent an hour in gringots bank doing this ridiculous coin collecting minigame. Its one of the most annoying things ive ever had to do in a game!
The rollercoaster thing? That p1ssed me off something terrible too. I can still remember the music for that stage now that think about it!
Yes! Its f'ing ridiculous. I had to retry each one about 6 or so times. Just horrible.

My brother picked up God Hand for a fiver a while back. I heard its pretty cruel in its difficulty, even on the easiest setting. The random nature of the pick-ups would likely get on my nerves. Still, i might steal it from him and give it a good whirl.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:17 pm

ShadowNeku wrote: My brother picked up God Hand for a fiver a while back. I heard its pretty cruel in its difficulty, even on the easiest setting. The random nature of the pick-ups would likely get on my nerves. Still, i might steal it from him and give it a good whirl.
Yeah, it is a bit of a ball-bruiser but it always seems possible like it's your own fault for being too rubbish. The challenges in the fighting arena are a different story though - some of them seem impossible!

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:19 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Dig-Baku, one of those indie games you've been hearing about. Manic stuff this, bad for your keyboard. So far I can get up to Level 14 before running out of lives. No save games here.
Haha, glad to see someone paid attention to my review :D And you're right, it's quite a keyboard-murderer, but I think joysticks are supported too.

As for me...
Ghost Squad (Wii) - I'd quite forgotten how much I love this game, but I've been playing it loads over the past few days- now I can beat the jungle boss consistently (the trick is to pelt him with grenades) I'm sailing through the levels. Also tried the bizarre Paradise/Ninja modes, which change the graphics (including the helicopters being replaced by giant frogs?!) and weapons (Paradise Mode gives you a water pistol). My favourite light-gun game on the Wii, it's just a shame the online leaderboards seem to have been hacked with impossible scores...

Puyo Puyo (Game Boy) - Haha, oh wow. I'm still trying to figure out how anyone could possibly think that a version of Puyo Puyo where you have to use the shapes of the blobs rather than the colours to tell them apart would be a good idea. Unless you use a Super Game Boy, it's like being bashed around the head and then given a random eye test, and that was playing it on a GBA so add in more blurriness on the old Game Boy and you're guaranteed a headache. Utterly baffling.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:42 pm

I'm still playing through Katamari Forever on the PS3, I'm going through it now in Drive mode, I can see at least one level being a real pain.
Splink!