What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Liamh1982

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Liamh1982 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:28 pm

MORE Pro Evo - did OK (won 2, drew 1, lost 1) but starting to get really annoyed by the LAG!!!

killbot

Post by killbot » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:30 pm

Rogue Trooper: Quartz Zone Massacre.

Gears Of War: Wii Edition, essentially, and it's pretty damn good. It's probably the only cover-based third person shooter on the machine, so it's a good thing it's a decent one.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

dste

Post by dste » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:31 pm

Decided to carry on and get 100% on Brutal Legend, currently on 91%.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:26 pm

I've been playing some Wizball (C64) and Switchblade II (Amiga), both very good games. Not really played Switchblade II before properly but I'm enjoying it.
Good choices !!

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:42 pm

Still on World of Warcraft, I've now got a Level 22 Blood Elf & Level 10 Night Elf.

It's bloody addictive stuff

Joey

Post by Joey » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:19 pm

Nearing the end of Yakuza 2 now, on chapter 12.

A great game but some of these cutscenes are dragging on a bit now...

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:39 pm

Ghost Squad on the Wii - funny game! Love their special handshake at the end of each level, and the dialogue:

"We killed the terrorist leader. However, the President and the hostages are safe".

The shooting bits are fun too - didn't think it'd work too well considering the trouble I have using an on-screen keyboard on the Wii, but it does, and work well it does. Head shots all over the place. Yeah, I like Ghost Squad.

Oh, and still plenty of Pac-Man Championship Edition DX.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

Tepid Snake

Post by Tepid Snake » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:45 pm

TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ghost Squad on the Wii - funny game! Love their special handshake at the end of each level, and the dialogue:

"We killed the terrorist leader. However, the President and the hostages are safe".
I think the funniest moment in the game happens when you successfully clear Mission 2- the president of the USA rewards your character's efforts by giving them a high-five. Excellent game, although I can never beat the final boss- good luck with him!

As for me...
Puyo Puyo~n (Dreamcast) - Also known as Puyo Puyo 4, the art-style is gorgeous, but man does it ever drag things out. Each character has a special ability (like destroying a coulmn/row or particular colour blobs) that they can use once they build up their special meter, but this means matches are far longer than ever before (especially since one character has a special move that clears all garbage blobs off her screen- her meter builds a little slower than others, I think, but she's still very aggravating to fight against) which is a shame, as the other games in the series go like the clappers.

Dead Rising (360) - Beaten the first Psychopath- there's no greater joy than picking up the mini-chainsaw he leaves behind and then going to town on a few dozen zombie scumbags. Otherwise, dying quite a lot, but I'm told that's supposed to happen.
Updated 11/05/11 - P.O.W. - Prisoners of War
Image RetroCollect - PAL Rarity Guides, News, Reviews & Community

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:47 pm

Tepid Snake wrote:
TwoHeadedBoy wrote:Ghost Squad on the Wii - funny game! Love their special handshake at the end of each level, and the dialogue:

I think the funniest moment in the game happens when you successfully clear Mission 2- the president of the USA rewards your character's efforts by giving them a high-five. Excellent game, although I can never beat the final boss- good luck with him!
As in the guy on the boat with the rocket launcher? Thought he was easy enough, in all honesty... And yeah, I was laughing a fair bit at the President's high five - even the main hero characters looked confused by that!
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:49 pm

Started Dead Space 2 tonight, nothing radically new from the last one but superb atmosphere, think I'd better go to bed now!

Antiriad2097

Post by Antiriad2097 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:20 am

dste wrote:Decided to carry on and get 100% on Brutal Legend, currently on 91%.
Which version? There was a bug in the PS3 one that corrupts the save game once you get beyond 85%ish depending on the missions played. Might have been patched now but was still an issue when I played last year.
The Retro League - Where skill isn't an obstacle
Retrocanteen, home of the unfairly banned
Tom_Baker wrote:I just finished watching a film about Stockholm syndrome. It started out terrible but by the end I really liked it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:03 pm

Playing and surprisingly enjoying Musashi on PS2, thanks Aztecca. :mrgreen: Also tracked down another copy as a friend of mine really liked it. 3 hours+ into it now. Camera problems aside, it is a really fun game with lush visuals. Voice acting is suitably dire though.

Also today when the wife and child went out I cranked up the surround and played Wipeout Fusion. Still really like this game, gets a bit of a bad wrap at times but it isn't justified. It has been so long since I have played it I was surprised to find a widescreen and pro logic option which helped to enrich the experience.
Few glitches aside, it plays well. Track design is outstanding the the music fits perfectly. Luckily I have the NTSC version which also reduced the flicker a huge amount.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:49 pm

CSI Miami on the PC. Still as hard as when I first played it a few years ago, and I still can't even get half way through the first case :shock:
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Jan 30, 2011 2:53 pm

Mr Driller via MAME, great fun. Love the music on it.

Dennoman

Post by Dennoman » Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:44 pm

Almost at the halfway mark in Castlevania: Lords of Shadow now. Could have done without the "Castlevania" bit in the title really, as it really doesn't seem to have all that much to do with the series. It's a good effort as far as hack-'n-slash goes, a tad monotone as it may get at times, but doesn't really get anywhere near God of War for me. Then again, no hack-'n-slash really does since I played that. Graphics are a little basic for current times but the environments can be breath-takingly beautiful.

This is kind of like the whole Daniel Craig as James Bond thing for me. They're good action movies, but they're no James Bonds. Same as this: really good hack-'n-slash, but a Castlevania this ain't.

Always on the look-out for fighting games!
Have any stray ones laying about? Let me know and we'll try to give them a cosy new home.