What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

dste

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by dste » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:34 pm

Started playing Brutal legend on the 360 today, absolutely loving it.

Had a battle with Lemmy on my side and then pimped my ride by buying stuff from Ozzy. Then spent god knows how long just driving around listening to the music on the car stereo.

Any game that has a revolution to Def Leppard's 'Rock of Ages' is a great game for me.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:03 pm

Hit 74% on Sly Cooper now, 4 worlds down and I think 1 to go. Lots of fun this, pity a little slowdown on the later two worlds mind.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:30 am

nakamura wrote:Hit 74% on Sly Cooper now, 4 worlds down and I think 1 to go. Lots of fun this, pity a little slowdown on the later two worlds mind.
I think they eliminated the slowdown for the PS3 port, as far as I remember it runs flawlessly. The original Sly Cooper is my favourite of the 3 - its pure platforming fun plus the worlds are all well worth exploring to get the hidden power up in each level (some of which come in very handy).
I'm playing the 3rd game now and I'm kind of disapointed in it :( Its just like Sly 2 which in theory should be a good thing but it just doesn't seem as fun as Sly 2 was. I'm hoping my opinion of it will change later on into the game...
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Sepp Salerno

Post by Sepp Salerno » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:32 am

STranger81 wrote:Lego Batman. Thanks to this bloody game my Dsi XL is never out of my hands! Addictive to say the least.

NBA Jam. Sublime. Unless your using the pointless motion controls.
I loved that until I got totally stuck on it. Mines got a glitch in it so you can't get passed one of the levels :evil:

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:45 am

ShadowMan wrote:
nakamura wrote:Hit 74% on Sly Cooper now, 4 worlds down and I think 1 to go. Lots of fun this, pity a little slowdown on the later two worlds mind.
I think they eliminated the slowdown for the PS3 port, as far as I remember it runs flawlessly. The original Sly Cooper is my favourite of the 3 - its pure platforming fun plus the worlds are all well worth exploring to get the hidden power up in each level (some of which come in very handy).
I'm playing the 3rd game now and I'm kind of disapointed in it :( Its just like Sly 2 which in theory should be a good thing but it just doesn't seem as fun as Sly 2 was. I'm hoping my opinion of it will change later on into the game...
Pity to hear the less than glowing reports, still look forward to having a go though as I like the gameplay and the cast of characters. I found the same with Jak and Daxter though, the first was amazing, best 3D platformer of all time for me yet the follow ups, while good, never kept that true platforming essence.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:56 am

nakamura wrote: Pity to hear the less than glowing reports, still look forward to having a go though as I like the gameplay and the cast of characters. I found the same with Jak and Daxter though, the first was amazing, best 3D platformer of all time for me yet the follow ups, while good, never kept that true platforming essence.
You hit the nail on the head regarding the J&D comparison. In my opinion the Sly series kinda followed the same path - the first game being an almost pure platformer while the subsequent sequels were more open world with missions set in each big "level". It may just be the first level of Sly 3, as Sly 2 had a couple of less than stellar levels but overall the good still far outweighed the bad and it was an excellent followup.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:11 pm

Twinbee on XBL Gamesroom, thanks to being challenged by one of my mates.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:58 am

Raziel wrote:I enjoyed Heavy Rain... although its plot is somewhat predictable.. imo. I certainly won't spoil it though.
I've played a few more chapters on Heavy Rain and its really gotten going now, I'm really enjoying it but I think I see where your coming from about the plot being a bit predictable (unless they have a few twists up their sleeves).
What are the different endings like? Does the game alter drastically to get different endings or is it all based on a couple of choices you can make at the end of the game (like Farenheit). If they are all pretty different I wouldn't mind playing it through a couple more times to see them all.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:12 pm

The games I ordered from Amazon arrived today. Majin and the Forsaken Kingdom is an interesting game from what I've seen so far. The highlight is Blur, though. I am really enjoying this.

SexyWayne

Post by SexyWayne » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:28 pm

dste wrote:Started playing Brutal legend on the 360 today, absolutely loving it.

Had a battle with Lemmy on my side and then pimped my ride by buying stuff from Ozzy. Then spent god knows how long just driving around listening to the music on the car stereo.

Any game that has a revolution to Def Leppard's 'Rock of Ages' is a great game for me.
Yep brill game, I was put off by all the reviews knocking it for having RTS sections, but they just seem to fit so well... I'm currently on 96% completion on the stat screen and I'll be sad to finish it off, I can feel a replay on a harder difficulty coming on.

I can see how non-metal fans don't like the game, but for metalheads it's pure brilliance

As for Jack Black, who else could pull it off, I could watch the record store intro over and over, when I first started buying music as a young headbanger certain bands would be a little bit too much metal such as Slayer and Venom :oops: :lol:

Then there's the one liners throughout the game and how the music tracks suit exactly whats going on during the gameplay and cutscenes, such as Anvil's Tag Team and Lita Ford's Betrayal

ah ha I knew it... big ugly demon... kinda sexy in a weird way tho :lol:

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:51 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Raziel wrote:I enjoyed Heavy Rain... although its plot is somewhat predictable.. imo. I certainly won't spoil it though.
I've played a few more chapters on Heavy Rain and its really gotten going now, I'm really enjoying it but I think I see where your coming from about the plot being a bit predictable (unless they have a few twists up their sleeves).
What are the different endings like? Does the game alter drastically to get different endings or is it all based on a couple of choices you can make at the end of the game (like Farenheit). If they are all pretty different I wouldn't mind playing it through a couple more times to see them all.
I love Quantic Dream. I think they're really a talented bunch of guys.
Yes their games often fall short of the spectacular, but I'll never EVER blame them for trying.

Like Lionhead they're prepared to do things differently. They may not always work but at least they're willing to try.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:09 pm

ShadowMan wrote:
Eeeeh.....I don't think any of the endings in which any (or all) of the main characters survive are that different to each other, the only real difference is if you get the 'bad' ending where the Origami killer gets away. I enjoyed playing through the game once, but having finished it, I had no desire whatsoever to play through it again. Most of the choices you make throughout the game only affect which trophies you get (or don't get) rather than the actual story. It's not the worst game I've played but I still found it very disappointing nonetheless, especially when after you've completed it you start thinking about the storyline a bit and massive plotholes come to mind. :(

BTW (as I haven't picked it up yet), does the Sly Cooper Trilogy on the PS3 feature the unlockable developer commentaries for each level for the first game like the PS2 version does? Reason being, one of them is actually missing on the PAL PS2 version :( (on the level with the giant snake chasing you)...I've got 100% on the game and unlocked everything, some of the time trials are tough as nails, but that level had nothing. It is apparently on the NTSC PS2 version though, according to vids I've seen on Youtube.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:28 pm

ToxieDogg wrote: BTW (as I haven't picked it up yet), does the Sly Cooper Trilogy on the PS3 feature the unlockable developer commentaries for each level for the first game like the PS2 version does? Reason being, one of them is actually missing on the PAL PS2 version :( (on the level with the giant snake chasing you)...I've got 100% on the game and unlocked everything, some of the time trials are tough as nails, but that level had nothing. It is apparently on the NTSC PS2 version though, according to vids I've seen on Youtube.
I think the first game still gets the commentaries - when I got all the bottles in each level and got the "epilogue" the game did mention that they were there to unlock once the time trials were finished. I didn't try to get them though as I think I remember you mentioning before that they were hard as hell. I completed Sly 2 with 100% but didn't get any message about any dev commentaries and the challenges in Sly 3 will stop me from 100%ing that game.

To bad about Heavy Rain, I remember reading about Farenheits alternate endings and they hardly seemed that much different to each other. I was kinda hoping Cage had learnt his lesson after that :(

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:01 pm

Mortal Kombat Shaolin Monks. Was trying to play Crash but it kept, erm, crashing.

SirClive

Post by SirClive » Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:04 pm

I am playing stuff on the ipad at the mo. Playing a lot of old-school shooter Parsec and also trying to catch up to the score BoggyB's 9 year old son has set on Flick Kick Football. At Christmas I wiped the floor with him at the game, now he is streets ahead :(