What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:15 am

Servbot wrote:Outrun 2 - Either i'm just rubbish or this game is hard. Very frustrating when you run out of time like a second away from a checkpoint :@ that said, i'm hooked!
You can tweak the time limit in the options mode if your having trouble with it. I was a bit crap at the game as well when I first started so the extra time really helped me familiarise myself with the tracks and the way the game does drifting.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

necronom

Post by necronom » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:24 am

Assassin's Creed II - My prize from the Christmas Tree competition :D

I've played it a couple of days, and I'm really getting into it. It's an interesting way that the game works (with the whole VR thing).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:25 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Servbot wrote:Outrun 2 - Either i'm just rubbish or this game is hard. Very frustrating when you run out of time like a second away from a checkpoint :@ that said, i'm hooked!
You can tweak the time limit in the options mode if your having trouble with it. I was a bit crap at the game as well when I first started so the extra time really helped me familiarise myself with the tracks and the way the game does drifting.
The time limit in the Arcade version is so tight not even plankton can make it threw

Skienzy

Post by Skienzy » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:50 am

Currently playing Harvest Moon: Island Of Happiness on the DS.

Only had my DS a couple of months so not got many games for it but I wanted to get a Harvest Moon game as I've never played one on any forma before. I know it's not one of the best in the series, I'm enjoying it quite alot so far. The only gripe I have is that you have to use the stylus to control everything which can be a bit of a pain but I'm getting used to it.

Also just got NES Golf and Paperboy (NES) recently in the post, so I'll be giving those a go soon.

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:39 am

Girlfriend got me Borderlands on 360 yesterday, so have been playing that this morning. Like it so far.

FatTrucker

Post by FatTrucker » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:42 am

oli_lar wrote:Girlfriend got me Borderlands on 360 yesterday, so have been playing that this morning. Like it so far.
I only started playing this just before Christmas, it gets better as it goes along. Once you've leveled up to a point where you can use some interesting weapons and unlocked some of your specials it really picks up. At heart its still a fairly old school FPS.
Some great bosses too.
Darran@Retro Gamer wrote:I've played all the Bratz games and Barbia Horse Adventures, due to having two girls and they are not rubbish in the slightest.
Feel free to add me on XBL.

lanky316

Post by lanky316 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:48 am

FatTrucker wrote:
oli_lar wrote:Girlfriend got me Borderlands on 360 yesterday, so have been playing that this morning. Like it so far.
I only started playing this just before Christmas, it gets better as it goes along. Once you've leveled up to a point where you can use some interesting weapons and unlocked some of your specials it really picks up. At heart its still a fairly old school FPS.
Some great bosses too.
Always good if you've got a mate or two available to play with, form a little party and running through the game that way. Only done it a couple of times and going to have to get on PSN sometime for another go.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:03 am

DPrinny wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
The time limit in the Arcade version is so tight not even plankton can make it threw
If you don't hit anything (which isn't that difficult once you get the hang of it) the time limit is more than reasonable - you can finish with 20 seconds + remaining on the clock. It's knowing when NOT to drift that's the key - the less drifting you do the faster you make it to the end. A lot of the corners if taking at the right line don't require drift - for example the first harsh left on the first course (the left before the s-bend bit before the junction) can be taking at full pelt with no drift if you get it right.

Awesome game. Some of the achievements / trophies are a bit harsh though

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:34 am

I try not to drift unless its a tight bend.
Sometimes I even use the brake button, but thats only on the later on bits

oli_lar

Post by oli_lar » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:35 am

FatTrucker wrote:
Some great bosses too.
I'm level 10 atm, and already picked up some decent weapons (a bullpup like smg with scope and a hunting shotgun) and sailing through now. Struggled a little at first until I got the machine gun that was hidden in the grave arms cache - went from something that did 7 damage per hit to 35! Playing as the soldier, the shield on the turret special seems a bit pointless as it doesn't really work well for cover.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:33 pm

Trying to gather items for the alchemy aspect of Dragon Quest IX but it's hard going thanks to the horrible drop-rate that the monsters have :evil: . For example, I killed over a 100 of one type of monster and it still didn't drop the item I needed.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:35 pm

SSBM, gotta unlock everyone on the US version now. lol
Logged out 15/07/2014.

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:55 pm

Had a quick blast on Raiden 4 on the 360, man I loves me some Raiden.
Splink!

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Megamixer wrote:Trying to gather items for the alchemy aspect of Dragon Quest IX but it's hard going thanks to the horrible drop-rate that the monsters have :evil: . For example, I killed over a 100 of one type of monster and it still didn't drop the item I needed.
It's less than £20 on Amazon now, and I'm very tempted :3

llj

Post by llj » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:41 pm

Megamixer wrote:Trying to gather items for the alchemy aspect of Dragon Quest IX but it's hard going thanks to the horrible drop-rate that the monsters have :evil: . For example, I killed over a 100 of one type of monster and it still didn't drop the item I needed.
Ahh, memories on my FFVI days when I went to the northern forest to find Brachiosaurs for economizers.