What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Fightersmegamix

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:51 pm

Super street fighter 4 - it's rubbish :) Looks great but plays like crap, controls are awful, there are no tutorials and you can't even have the move list on screen while playing in practice mode.

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Mon Oct 04, 2010 2:59 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Looks great but plays like crap, controls are awful
errrrm.... :shock:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Fightersmegamix wrote:Super street fighter 4 - it's rubbish :) Looks great but plays like crap, controls are awful, there are no tutorials and you can't even have the move list on screen while playing in practice mode.
While I don't share your overall view on SSFIV, the bolded part I DO agree with. In the old days of Capcom fighters, you could have the command list on the screen and scroll up and down on it with the right analogue stick. Really annoying that you have to keep going in and out of the menus when trying to learn a new character.

Myself, I've just started playing F1 2010 and I'm not very good at it. Managed to qualify 6th for my first race which isn't abysmal I suppose but I'm yet to nail the cornering.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Mon Oct 04, 2010 4:39 pm

Peggle, just got the DLC and it's excellent.

Vir_Lucis

Post by Vir_Lucis » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:48 am

Working my way through the following:

Dead Rising 2 - improves about its predecessor in almost every single way. Great game, and co-op fun is a great addition!

Red Dead Redemption - had a hiatus on this one, so gone back to the storyline to finish it off. Just made it to Mexico.

Mass Effect 2 - on disc 2 now, enjoying it much more than the first one. Really fantastic game, although I wish there was a bit more customisation in the skills/armour/weapons available.
Future Conscience: What do we want to be? - A futurist blog exploring technology, society and ethics @FutureCon

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:51 am

Still working my way through Yakuza PSP at the moment. Up to chapter 4 at the moment and its been excellent so far. Its more import friendly than previous Yakuza games thats for sure, the basic story isn't to difficult to pick up from the cutscenes so far and as the side missions are mostly about fighting the 3 rival gangs they are easy enough to follow.

The boss fights (which all take place in the arena) are the highlights of the game so far. Both because they are well done and because they are damn hard! The 3rd boss especially was tough until I got the pattern down and worked out what attacks worked best against him (else he'll just counter you all night long!).

The game also seems to have its own trophy system not unlike PS3 games. The trophy list seems almost identical to previous Yakuza games (beat up X people, complete X missions etc.). Its another nice little extra that extends the life of the game should you be going for 100% completion.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:24 am

Dante's Inferno clocked a second time raided those trophies on this playthrough, going to turn my attentions to ODST and FEAR 2.

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:35 am

Said S0d it to the Christmas present savings and purchased Mass Effect 2 for £15 in Tesc0.
Good bye life for a while

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:48 am

GTA IV: The Lost and Damned. It's okay, just more of the same, but on bikes. I have the Balled of Gay Tony next, which I've heard is better.
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Confessor

Post by Confessor » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:14 am

A friend of mine is moving and among the things he was throwin'away he found a copy of SOCOM US NAVY SEALS FIREBRAVO TEAM (longest title ever) for PSP and he gave it to me. I still have to practice with the controls, but the first impression is of a good game (except that it took me a lifetime to finish the first mission because I didn't know I was supposed to retrieve a map in a building. I kept staying around the exfil point and nothin'happened...).

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Tue Oct 05, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm just about to start laying down some farking hardcore riffs on Lego Rock Band.
Splink!

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm reall enjoying Dino Crisis 3, pikced it up the other day for £4. The only annoyance I have so far is the camera angle, and im hoping that a story kicks in soon. Nice graphics though.

Riddler

Post by Riddler » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:27 pm

I got Just Cause for £8 from Gamestation. Ok its a port from an earlier gen console but it still looks gorgeous and the gameplay is so addictive.

I've never played this series so wanted to try it out. I had to get the first game to understand whats going on.

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:32 pm

Gears of War - XBOX 360.

Had this with the console around 2 years ago, only just got around to playing it, first impressions are WOW :D

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:18 pm

Red faction 2
Not to bad.
One thing I bloody hate about it is having to use the night vision ALMOST ALL THE TIME!
Somebody turn the fugging lights on