What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

rtrgrl78

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by rtrgrl78 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:27 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
thingonaspring wrote:
rtrgrl78 wrote:Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PS 3, picked it for £3 a while back from GAME as it was new on the counter. First impressions; the graphics are far for from brilliant but also not as shocking as I heard others say on YouTube. If, I was not playing it on a PS3 / 360, think somewhere between original Xbox and when the 360 new titles arrived. I keep thinking kind of like 'Halo 2' and 'Black' on the Xbox and sort of the same vein gameplay wise. However, the AI seems a little off to say the least, I have seen this game going only up to a £5, new at other shops and so on. Guessing, it was rushed out although a licenced product, I will get some gameplay from it and would like to keep going and complete it - wish me luck!
i did exactly the same as that :D don't remember how far i got but it was pretty irritating. i figured it had kept me entertained for the same length of time as nearly a pint, so deemed it worth it. beyond that, don't get your hopes up too high... didn't complete it though, that's for sure :lol:

I got 100% achievements in the game so didn't think it was as bad as a lot of people said, but certainly wasn't a classic. The part that sticks in my mind was the Raven fight in the powerloader, which thanks to a botched update was virtually impossible if playing solo on Hardened difficulty. It's almost comical how the co-op play was just shoe-horned in as well.

Just started Assassin's Creed as I've never played any of them. Quite enjoying it so far, even if I haven't quite got the hang of the climbing controls, and will likely work through the 4 main games
100% achievements that is some going, I wish I had stayed with it maybe I will go back to it. Kind of reminded me 'Alone In The Dark' for the PlayStation 2, where I would stop playing then go back and have still today have left it uncompleted along with the many games over time.

ArchaicKoala

Post by ArchaicKoala » Mon Dec 08, 2014 5:56 am

I've just started playing Diddy Kong Racing again. I finished it way back when but I've recently had the urge to play it again so there you go.

I forgot how frustrating the boss races can be though :evil:

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:23 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
thingonaspring wrote:
rtrgrl78 wrote:Aliens: Colonial Marines for the PS 3, picked it for £3 a while back from GAME as it was new on the counter. First impressions; the graphics are far for from brilliant but also not as shocking as I heard others say on YouTube. If, I was not playing it on a PS3 / 360, think somewhere between original Xbox and when the 360 new titles arrived. I keep thinking kind of like 'Halo 2' and 'Black' on the Xbox and sort of the same vein gameplay wise. However, the AI seems a little off to say the least, I have seen this game going only up to a £5, new at other shops and so on. Guessing, it was rushed out although a licenced product, I will get some gameplay from it and would like to keep going and complete it - wish me luck!
i did exactly the same as that :D don't remember how far i got but it was pretty irritating. i figured it had kept me entertained for the same length of time as nearly a pint, so deemed it worth it. beyond that, don't get your hopes up too high... didn't complete it though, that's for sure :lol:

I got 100% achievements in the game so didn't think it was as bad as a lot of people said, but certainly wasn't a classic. The part that sticks in my mind was the Raven fight in the powerloader, which thanks to a botched update was virtually impossible if playing solo on Hardened difficulty. It's almost comical how the co-op play was just shoe-horned in as well.

Just started Assassin's Creed as I've never played any of them. Quite enjoying it so far, even if I haven't quite got the hang of the climbing controls, and will likely work through the 4 main games
Aliens : CM is a game i've actually finished (meaning that i saw the end) and reasonably enjoyed it, there were some frustrating parts (the powerloader part is one of them, dying 8 times because i tried to kill the alien with timed punches and then said 'f*** it', just mashed buttons and killed it right there and then) and this will not be considered an unfairly treated gem some years from now, but this was, all in all, a perfectly average 5/10 game

Analog

Post by Analog » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:05 pm

tales of symphonia chronicles on ps3. not bad, I am liking the humour.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Dec 13, 2014 7:33 pm

Yakuza 3, I have also dropped it due to a bloody forced golf mini game

snesfanboy

Post by snesfanboy » Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:44 am

both on my new Wii U

Bayonetta 2 : sometimes hard to follow with all the madness going on, but it's an amazing game, violent, funny as hell with lots of in-jokes

Nintendo Land : i think this is quickly going to wear off, but a couple of the minigames are fun

i thought the graphics on these games looked amazing, colors popping out (even on the wii u gamepad it looked very good)

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:17 am

DPrinny wrote:Yakuza 3, I have also dropped it due to a bloody forced golf mini game
I loved that Golf mini game. I thought for the story led bit, you don't even have to play well or even win. At first I'd have actually guessed you'd have dropped the game due to the orphanage stuff. Give the fourth game a go instead. No forced golf or orphanage, just kicking people in the head :lol:
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:43 pm

In between games at the moment so I've gone back to DoA5 and reminded myself that while I enjoy this game, I am awful at timing the holds and for some reason, the characters' move lists don't stay in my head anywhere near as well as in the likes of Tekken. Keep meaning to get the Ultimate version for more characters etc. but I rarely see it about and when I do it's not cheap. There's a third version on the way but I'm not bothering with it as the PS3/360 version is apparently a poorer cousin to the current-gen edition in terms of features.

For now I'm content to discover the myriad of DLC costumes that I downloaded ages ago and forgot about until now... :oops:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:46 pm

^CEX have it for a tenner.

None local to me have it
ShadowMan wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Yakuza 3, I have also dropped it due to a bloody forced golf mini game
I loved that Golf mini game. I thought for the story led bit, you don't even have to play well or even win. At first I'd have actually guessed you'd have dropped the game due to the orphanage stuff. Give the fourth game a go instead. No forced golf or orphanage, just kicking people in the head :lol:
But what of the story?

WONT ANYBODY THINK OF THE STORY!!?
So I dont even have to bother with it?
It wont make me play 18 holes?

Edit

Played a bit more thankfully its only 3 holes, played a about an hour of the game messing about and mid fight it crashed
Sod it

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:58 am

Minecraft - PS Vita
No More Heroes - PS3
Watch Dogs - PS4

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Dec 15, 2014 7:01 am

Morkin wrote:Dead Space 2 on the 360. I bought this one ages ago for a fiver I think, as I quite enjoyed the first one. I'm only a couple of hours into it & I'm having fun so far.
Quality game, played it through 3 times!

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Dec 18, 2014 8:54 am

Tales of Xillia. Gone back to this now it's xmas and I'll have a bit more time.

Also tried espgaluda 2 but it really didn't grab me, confusing menus and scoring and dull level design. Gone back to sonic wings 3.

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Dec 18, 2014 11:49 am

Metro Redux on XB1, visually better and got it discounted in sale but I keep running out of oxygen/filters outside and die

PostieDoc

Post by PostieDoc » Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:53 pm

Forza 5.
Still.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:31 pm

Valkyria Chronicles II (PSP) - I was a bit dubious as to whether this game would adapt to the handheld but it's a pretty good sequel both technically and gameplay-wise thus far. The characters and tone of the story aren't on the same level as the original for sure but there are some nice new additions to the battle system and unit class growth/development. It's also nice to have more involvement with the other members of the unit rather than just the main characters as in the original.

So I'm enjoying it a lot so far. The only let-downs are Avan's annoying laugh and the PSP's awful battery life!
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.