What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

DPrinny

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:52 pm

Donkey Kong 64

Urgh, the bloody camera

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:00 pm

Ok. I give in with Folklore. I got to and defeated the first proper 'folklore' (boss) but there's too many irritations for me in this game. Examples:

1. The camera is too slow. You can instantly switch it through 180 degrees but it never seems to be quite in the right place when you're fighting multiple enemies even when you move it manually.
2. Whilst the Netherworld is very pretty and the battles interesting, i don't like being pulled out of it to go to the 'real' world of Doolin. I know its story progression but i don't want to be there.
3. The cut scenes are plentiful and irritating. I can only describe them as individual comic book 'panels' but there's several of these panels to each scene. Couple that with the fact you have to press a button to advance each one and most panels start off blurry and come into focus. I hate this effect sooo much!
4. The mini map. The frickin' mini map!! It constantly changes direction. Not like as in....say Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance where it orients itself to the direction you're facing. No...that would be too easy. Instead it appears to randomly switch about...so sometimes your character will be looking into the screen (so your map should have you look north) ....nope... i'll glance at the screen and sometimes the map will have the character pointing south. Its so confusing. I frequently end up going back in the direction i've just come from after a fight, unless i recognise a landmark.

Its a shame, as i feel its packed with potential....i just haven't got the inclination to unleash it. :(

binned. (soon to be in a Random Niceness thread near you..... :wink: )
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

HisNHer_LP

Post by HisNHer_LP » Wed Jun 04, 2014 8:27 pm

nokgod wrote:Ok. I give in with Folklore. I got to and defeated the first proper 'folklore' (boss) but there's too many irritations for me in this game. Examples:

1. The camera is too slow. You can instantly switch it through 180 degrees but it never seems to be quite in the right place when you're fighting multiple enemies even when you move it manually.
2. Whilst the Netherworld is very pretty and the battles interesting, i don't like being pulled out of it to go to the 'real' world of Doolin. I know its story progression but i don't want to be there.
3. The cut scenes are plentiful and irritating. I can only describe them as individual comic book 'panels' but there's several of these panels to each scene. Couple that with the fact you have to press a button to advance each one and most panels start off blurry and come into focus. I hate this effect sooo much!
4. The mini map. The frickin' mini map!! It constantly changes direction. Not like as in....say Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance where it orients itself to the direction you're facing. No...that would be too easy. Instead it appears to randomly switch about...so sometimes your character will be looking into the screen (so your map should have you look north) ....nope... i'll glance at the screen and sometimes the map will have the character pointing south. Its so confusing. I frequently end up going back in the direction i've just come from after a fight, unless i recognise a landmark.

Its a shame, as i feel its packed with potential....i just haven't got the inclination to unleash it. :(

I remember this, and NIER both being games I have really wanted to try for a long time.

Folklore to me looked like a game that could of been amazing from small videos, pictures and other stuff I have seen, as was wondering why it wasnt more well heard of.

after reading this, I think I may give it a miss all together.

Anyone know if Neir is worth the punt?

as for myself.........

WATCHDOGS, got it on the PS4, played the first mission, need to get back on it, been sidetrakced by the UFC Demo, so far im loving it, not the best in the world, but very suprised and really looking forward to the full game

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:02 pm

nokgod wrote:Ok. I give in with Folklore. I got to and defeated the first proper 'folklore' (boss) but there's too many irritations for me in this game. Examples:

I got to the first Folklore boss using 'Ellen' but couldn't work out how to damage him,only that it stuns him when you use that the fat fey as its breathing in.. None of the other fey could damage him and just got annoyed and gave up

I also hated the still pictures especially playing it straight after Alice Madness returns and the awesome cut scenes in that game.. I think I was expecting it to play like Alice but came away thinking it was a inferior game for the reasons you mentioned above.. Spent half the time wandering lost around Doonin trying to get to grips with that useless compass to find that Scarecrow to send me to the Fairy Realm and the weapons/fey I got where near useless besides the Kelpie/horse thing.. ... Also Alice was a far darker game Folklore and Alice actually felt powerful especially with her Flesh Maiden and Knight Costumes..

I'm not sure if Keets chapters plays any better but from what I hear Ellen has the superior game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:05 pm

For me I managed to get hold of Gunlord on dreamcast and don't understand the average review it got in RG.. It plays very much like the C64 Turrican with anime cut scenes and its also seems impossibly hard I died on the first boss loads of times until I got its attack patterns down.. The second level is a shooter and plays like the third level of R Type destroy bits of giant battleships and has a even harder boss :evil:
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:18 pm

Anyone else stressed out with dark souls ?
This guy are sick

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:29 pm

Shinobi wrote:I got to the first Folklore boss using 'Ellen' but couldn't work out how to damage him,only that it stuns him when you use that the fat fey as its breathing in.. None of the other fey could damage him and just got annoyed and gave up
Its pretty straightforward, that boss. When its tentacle sucks up, just unleash your 'spiky' folk. It get sucked into the tentacle which drops to the floor. Then you attack it with a 'slash' folk and it kills the tentacle. Repeat for the second tentacle. When they're both gone a big flower thing opens on its back and you use a 'wind' folk to blow it away, whilst avoiding and slashing at the small tentacle spikes that come at you through the floor.

Alice is the far superior game, imo.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

speedlolita

Post by speedlolita » Wed Jun 04, 2014 10:37 pm

The problem with Folklore is that it is a very early PlayStation 3 game - and it shows!

Me?

I started playing WildStar today. Jolly good fun so far.
Logged out 15/07/2014.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:59 pm

More Disgaea D2
Everything I disliked about Disgaea and disgaea 2 seems to be sorted.
Main one is to upgrade the class of a character in the previous ones you had to reincarnate them (start from level one, but be OP) in this you can just promote them.
also the only way to get a character to learn a spell outside his/her class was to get them to create the character then level up that character.
In this you just make them there apprentice then use the spell till it gets to level one.
Now means that all my characters have giga heal

Up to the point in the storyline where the MC becomes a female and Etna gets "Player two" colours (even her rank has changed to player 2)

Kilb

Post by Kilb » Thu Jun 05, 2014 9:57 am

stayAwhile on Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:18 pm

Dark Souls 1 or Dark Souls 2?

necronom

Post by necronom » Thu Jun 05, 2014 12:50 pm

This: 2048

After seeing it in RG, I looked it up and it's great for a 5 minute go, though I end up having another go, then another.

Current top score: 6368
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jun 06, 2014 7:48 pm

Played about 4-5 levels/missions of The Warriors on the PS2 and I'm really not feeling it. The game is obviously very well made and faithful to the source material but as a beat 'em up, I personally think it's overrated. One of those games that doesn't really do anything wrong but at the same time, I'm not exactly desperate to play it again.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

stayAwhile

Post by stayAwhile » Fri Jun 06, 2014 8:30 pm

Kilb wrote:

The first one I'm stuck on the first boss
This guy are sick

sscott

Post by sscott » Fri Jun 06, 2014 9:47 pm

stayAwhile wrote:
Kilb wrote:

The first one I'm stuck on the first boss
I hear you buddy! You're a wuss like me! ;)

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Sat Jun 07, 2014 7:56 pm

Oh, i can't thank Shinobi enough for sending me Child of Light.

I'm absolutely enchanted by this game. It looks absolutely gorgeous and plays like a dream. OK, the rpg elements are pretty simplistic, both the skill tree and oculi crafting requiring little thought to get the most out of, but that just doesn't matter. The game as a whole just works. The battle system also works well, its turn based but you can actively interfere with enemy attacks if you time it well and hit the right creature. Deeper than it initially looks...

Its going to burn bright and die young though, as i only started it last night and i'm up to Chapter 7 of 10. Hopefully get a bit more longevity out of it by going for all the trophies, cos i don't want it to end.