What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Analog

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Analog » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:09 pm

super mario bros 3.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:09 pm

Cladun x2

a game where most of your time is spent not doing the main game, looking at menus, sprite editing, random dungeons and messing around with "Magic circles"

Bloody typical Nippon Ichi
*The Nights of gaming * My inane prattle * Youtube page* new reviews Wednesday and Saturday

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:08 pm

South Park stick of truth. It took a bit of getting in to but this is pretty fun. The menus are fiddly and the battles are a little repetitive but there's a lot of charm to it, Cartman's fart attack is my new favourite battle move :)

necronom

Post by necronom » Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:49 am

Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. It was a pain to get running, with it being a 19Gb download, but it was worth it (plus it was free, so that's even better).
The Retro Gaming League _ -= My YouTube Videos =-
The eighties aren't over. I'll say when the eighties are over. The eighties are never over! You don't just turn off the eighties! - Jack Howitzer, GTA V

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:40 pm

I've been playing The Rumble Fish on PS2. It's nice to occasionally play a 2D fighter not made by Capcom or SNK and this one ain't half bad. The character sprites look great and are animated beautifully and the general gameplay is quite good with enough similarities to other fighting games to make it accessible but enough to give it a unique feel.

I wish I could heap as much praise on the boss but after nearly half an hour of trying and failing to take a single round from him, I just had to turn the game off. How many fighting game bosses have to be overpowered shirtless guys with Super Saiyan hair? I used to be able to spend ages chipping away at tough bosses but these days if I can't beat them in 15-20 mins then I tend to just give up. I get enough aggro at work without needing to be pissed off with my games too!

Otherwise, a fun game with some interesting characters. I'll certainly keep playing and hopefully beat the boss.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Apr 30, 2014 6:56 pm

Megamixer wrote: Otherwise, a fun game with some interesting characters. I'll certainly keep playing and hopefully beat the boss.
Keep at it. Strangely, I dont remember having any trouble and I play on default settings.

I've been playing some Hokuto No Ken (PS2) recently. Its mental and I love it. Also a bit of SF Alpha 3. May have to hunt for a Saturn version at some point. It is one of my favourite fighting games ever

sscott

Post by sscott » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:02 pm

necronom wrote:Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time. It was a pain to get running, with it being a 19Gb download, but it was worth it (plus it was free, so that's even better).
Really struggling to get into this, not keen on the controls either really.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:02 pm

Black Ridge wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Otherwise, a fun game with some interesting characters. I'll certainly keep playing and hopefully beat the boss.
Keep at it. Strangely, I dont remember having any trouble and I play on default settings.
I just keep getting trapped by massive combos or find Greed to have higher priorities than me. Watched a few YT vids where he was labelled as cheap too so it's not just me but I do think my tolerance for punishing end bosses has been running thin over the last few years :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:20 pm

I'll have to play through again to see if i can get some tactics together. To be fair I struggle with most bosses in arcade mode. MvC2 is one that has beaten me recently.

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:41 pm

Am really getting caught up in Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag (PS4) at the moment.

Initially, i was struggling with the sea battles but now i've got used to the controls, got some armour, mortars, upgraded the cannons and chainshot, i'm kicking some ass. :D Accidentally fired upon a Spanish man'o'war and got reduced to matchsticks....so i still clearly have work to do. :lol: Loving the harpooning minigame too.

The on land sections are just as interesting with loads of stuff do do. Contracts to fulfil, chests, shanties and animus to find. Really appeals to my looting side 8)

Not so keen on the modern day interruptions to the historic storyline, but they're not too intrusive (at the minute) so i'll let it slide for the time being.

All in all, a solid purchase. well chuffed as its my first venture into the Assassins Creed franchise.
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

killbot

Post by killbot » Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:58 pm

Still working my way through Wonderful 101. It's a hell of a slog at times, with each level taking up to 45 minutes, but it is a fun game so it's worth it.

Also just started the first Gears of War. Not feeling this much at all, to be honest. I was expecting something a bit more varied but it's just find cover, shoot, repeat. Each enemy seems to take an age to go down so firefights against four or five opponents are interminable. Before I owned a 360 this was pretty much the only game that made me really feel like I wanted one, now I have it I realise it isn't all that. Plus the characters are all bull-necked morons. I might have to start A Boy and His Blob on Wii just to wash some of the testosterone off me.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu May 01, 2014 7:58 am

Finally managed to connect to xbox live for the 1st time in weeks, had to format my HDD to do it which means that ive lost a number of my achievements. Looks like im going to have to re-play Alice,PES2014, Binary Domanin & Transformers not looking forward to re-playing Alice there some bits that took me bloody ages in that game.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Thu May 01, 2014 10:21 am

Child of Light. Visually and sonically beautiful, what a splendid little game.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

SoupDragon

Post by SoupDragon » Thu May 01, 2014 1:37 pm

I really enjoyed Sly Thieves in Time (big fan of all Cooper games) :D

Im playing Ground Zeroes and still annoyed with Sutherlands voice. And Ive never watched his 24 thing so I don't have the usual trouble of Kiefer being associated with that. I just think he sounds a bit....crrap. God game though (after finally sorting out my current gen issues). Main game is short but theres a few things to replay :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu May 01, 2014 4:14 pm

Black Ridge wrote:I'll have to play through again to see if i can get some tactics together. To be fair I struggle with most bosses in arcade mode. MvC2 is one that has beaten me recently.
It's strange really as I can beat the likes of Onslaught, Jinpachi, Abyss (MvC2), Ultimate Rugal etc. with little trouble and a few continues max but this guy is driving me nuts. Might drop the difficulty down one level but I'll put it back up if the regular opponents become too weak as a result.

Great game though, loving it apart from the boss :)