What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Ferret Oxide

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:55 am

I'm certainly enjoying it, and it is the best football game of the era that I've played.

Unfortunately the copy of Die Hard Arcade I ordered arrived today, so SWWS has been put to one side for now.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:09 am

Ferret Oxide wrote:I'm certainly enjoying it, and it is the best football game of the era that I've played.

Unfortunately the copy of Die Hard Arcade I ordered arrived today, so SWWS has been put to one side for now.
Die Hard Arcade seems to be quite collectable, they don't go cheap, so sadly i'm leaving that out for now...any good? Am i missing much, or is it more just for collectable purposes?

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:42 am

DHA is an almost perfect arcade to home version. Being as the arcade version was on the ST-V board which is basically a Saturn in a cabinet,
Thoughts and prayers.

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 am

Yeah, the copy I got wasn't cheap, but it's pretty much mint condition. Like Rossi said, it's close to a spot on conversion. As for whether it's worth getting, I suppose it depends if you like the genre.

Personally, I think it is a great game. It also helps that I quite like Deep Scan, the old arcade game included with it.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:43 am

I play the JP version (Dynamite Deka) a lot.

It's pretty much polygon Streets of Rage. It's short but very sweet. I think it has plenty replay value just by being totally fun to play. It's an absolute blast in two player. Especially the twist at the end! :D

No spoilers.
Thoughts and prayers.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:47 am

I'll youtube it and take a peek at Die Hard on there. £40 seems the going rate for an average copy of it, and can't really justify that at the moment.

I'm however willing to swap it though : I will give you Casper or Independence Day on the Saturn :-)

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:48 am

What started as a 'quick look back at Fallout 3' has turned into a full play! The game is awesome. I've been picking up a few choices I never made in various other plays ...... including actioning President Eden's diabolical 'modified FEV mutant genocide' ending :evil: little did I know that with Broken Steel DLC installed? it gives a pretty bleak outlook when you continue from the end of the game LOL great stuff ...... especially the fact that because the majority of even human survivors have high radiation levels? it affects them too ...... and can kill even YOU! :o :(

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:52 am

Sephiroth81 wrote:I'll youtube it and take a peek at Die Hard on there. £40 seems the going rate for an average copy of it, and can't really justify that at the moment.

I'm however willing to swap it though : I will give you Casper or Independence Day on the Saturn :-)
Dynamite Deka can be acquired for way less than the PAL DHA
Thoughts and prayers.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:01 pm

rossi46 wrote:
Sephiroth81 wrote:I'll youtube it and take a peek at Die Hard on there. £40 seems the going rate for an average copy of it, and can't really justify that at the moment.

Dynamite Deka can be acquired for way less than the PAL DHA
One of many reasons to import. Get yourself an Action Replay Cart (under £20 on play-asia) and enjoy loads of great games far cheaper. Dynamite Deka can be picked up for under a tenner, as can Saturn Bomberman which fetches around £40 for the PAL version. In fact there are plenty of games you can get for around £10 that would be at least triple that in PAL format. So long as you go for arcade games, fighters, shmups, platformers etc that have little text, you'll be rolling in quality games! Just avoid RPGs and text based adventure games.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:17 am

Started Lock's Quest on the DS.

Playing on normal but damn the difficulty ramps up pretty quick. Still enjoying it though.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

retrogamerdude

Post by retrogamerdude » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:07 pm

SVC: Streets Of Rage (XBLA/360)
Retro Gamer For Life <3

Lately been playing:
Splatoon 2 (Nintendo Switch)

Last Purchase - Super Mario Odyssey (NS)

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:31 pm

Zombie Hunters 2 (PS2) - easily the best Onechanbara game on the PS2 and bizarrely, much better than the Wii game which came out later on :| . It's no masterpiece on any level but it has a silly charm. My only issue - as with all other Onechanbara games - is that the levelling-up is insanely sloooooooow.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Sephiroth81

Post by Sephiroth81 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:05 pm

The Saturn Virtua Cops, and realising that I need to go pick up a nice little CRT TV to play them properly (as well as the other 10 or so light gun games in my posession)

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:55 pm

Can you play them using the joypad? I've been put off getting any of the lightgun games in case they are unplayable.

rossi46

Post by rossi46 » Thu Jan 16, 2014 5:44 pm

Yes you can, but it's not great.
Thoughts and prayers.