What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

commanderkaiser

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by commanderkaiser » Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:01 pm

I fancied playing through Star Wars The Old Republic so set up a free to play account. I'm enjoying it so far, I think I'll finished my character class story then have a think about whether I'd want to subscribe.

A few gameboy games came in the post yesterday so I've been having a bit of a go on Castlevania The Adventure, so far I've made it to stage 2 but keep falling off stuff.

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:43 am

giss wrote:I'm also learning to play Dwarf Fortress (PC). I have the basics down but there's a lot of content in that game and it's not very self-explanatory. Still, can't help but love it! I can't help but think it would be better with some more advanced type of graphics (and yeah, I do use a tileset ofcourse, but I meant more in the general sense) but the fact that it's still a fun game despite the barely existing graphics just proves how great the gameplay is.
Wow massive coincidence but i also started trying to play DF just a few days ago. I agree that it's ridiculously hard to figure out all the menu's and stuff without a good guide but you just cant help but be pulled in by how deep it is and all the stuff you can do. Just imagine how amazing it would be if the graphics were even SNES level and the menu's were a bit better laid out and a tad simpler! The closest game to it i think is Gnomoria but that is a massively simplified version of DF.

Anyway you should use this guide to getting started:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... tart_guide

It's extremely helpful and easy to understand and you will learn a lot in a short time. I have the page open whilst playing the game. Whilst i still have only touched the surface i have had a few immigrants join me and now have about 20 Dwarfs. I just built my Trade Depot and need to figure out how the buying and selling works.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:50 am

Very close to getting Platinum on Under Defeat HD.

giss

Post by giss » Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:51 am

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
giss wrote:I'm also learning to play Dwarf Fortress (PC). I have the basics down but there's a lot of content in that game and it's not very self-explanatory. Still, can't help but love it! I can't help but think it would be better with some more advanced type of graphics (and yeah, I do use a tileset ofcourse, but I meant more in the general sense) but the fact that it's still a fun game despite the barely existing graphics just proves how great the gameplay is.
Wow massive coincidence but i also started trying to play DF just a few days ago. I agree that it's ridiculously hard to figure out all the menu's and stuff without a good guide but you just cant help but be pulled in by how deep it is and all the stuff you can do. Just imagine how amazing it would be if the graphics were even SNES level and the menu's were a bit better laid out and a tad simpler! The closest game to it i think is Gnomoria but that is a massively simplified version of DF.

Anyway you should use this guide to getting started:

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/ ... tart_guide

It's extremely helpful and easy to understand and you will learn a lot in a short time. I have the page open whilst playing the game. Whilst i still have only touched the surface i have had a few immigrants join me and now have about 20 Dwarfs. I just built my Trade Depot and need to figure out how the buying and selling works.
Nice guide, will definitely come in useful.

I've been watching this series as a starters guide: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRwnYkQaWic
It's a guy playing with some people who has never played the game before and therefor he explains everything. I learned a lot from it, would recommend watching it.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:04 pm

Warioland Shake dimension

Enjoyed the first two stages, time will tell if I like the rest

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:41 pm

got my ez flash working again for my gameboy advance and had a crazy hour playing wario ware on the micro....

bliss

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:46 pm

Metal Slug 6

You know what, I previously thought that the one on the GBA was the worst.

NO!
This one is, its just so boring and it throws way too much shit at you

n1nty

Post by n1nty » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Rally 2000 , it's the Sega Rally on the n64 :D

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:09 pm

DPrinny wrote:Metal Slug 6

NO!
Metal Slug died after MS3 for me (when SNK went bust and the 'new' SNK started making the games). 4, 5 and 6 all have a few nice bits to them but are horrible and overly-cheap to play.

Thought the GBA one was alright to be honest, aside from the end boss which I could never beat.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Nov 16, 2013 2:25 pm

Got a new PSP charger so im back on Ys.

How to beat a boss?
Grind and grind to level up everything then kill it in a few hits
Megamixer wrote:

NO!
Metal Slug died after MS3 for me (when SNK went bust and the 'new' SNK started making the games). 4, 5 and 6 all have a few nice bits to them but are horrible and overly-cheap to play.

Thought the GBA one was alright to be honest, aside from the end boss which I could never beat.
Same

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:00 pm

Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. I haven't actually played the main game yet, which probably explains why I was expecting a Painkiller/Serious Sam style run n gun instead. Not that I'm complaining, as I love the 16 bit cut scenes, Terminator esque music and neon lit landscape. Michael Beihn is perfect as Rex Colt as well

paranoid marvin

Post by paranoid marvin » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:11 pm

Bought The Walking Dead quite some time ago in a Steam sale. It's absolutely brilliant.
Mr Flibble says...
"Game over , boys!"

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:21 pm

Sengoku Basara X on the PS2! Looks really nice and was beating everybody with the female with the Scythe who summons those ghost hands, really easy to chain high combo's with her and her air special do crazy damage.. Even beat a few people with perfects then got to the screen filing Cyber Shredder lookalike.. Coupled with his insane damage(half energy from one hit) and the little fat guy who comes out of it and also attacks you - I just gave up!

Friend lent me the new Assassins Creed been enjoying that game
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:20 am

NO!
I don't think it's a bad game it's just the arcade version was made to swallow vast amounts of money and the home ports never made a concession to this hence the constant barrage of enemies, now to play a rubbish Metal Slug game play 4 it's a dire missmatch of ideas and recycled sprites.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Nov 18, 2013 5:23 am

I got the Platinum for Under Defeat (PS3) and also finished Dead Space 2 for the third time (Zealot), there's no way I'm going to have a stab at hardcore again, it's to frustrating when you're limited to 3 saves!!