What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ipmarks

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ipmarks » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:24 am

Currently obsessed with Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 2, via DosBox. Had forgotten how good this game was, much prefer it to Grand Prix 3 or 4 which I felt were not as much fun. The joy of simply starting a race, then veering across somebody else, causing a massive accident and then replaying it from many different views cannot be underestimated.

Will we ever get a Grand Prix 5?

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Thu Jul 25, 2013 3:58 am

Hardly played anything of late as its been to hot, plus my 360 been on the blink, started Lego LOTR good fun and about as challenging as i can cope with :)

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Jul 25, 2013 7:57 am

Ni no kuni is really starting to get good. At the 20 hour mark and have a full team and a boat to travel around in, I'm enjoying this game now :)

killbot

Post by killbot » Thu Jul 25, 2013 8:46 am

ipmarks wrote:Currently obsessed with Geoff Crammonds Grand Prix 2, via DosBox. Had forgotten how good this game was, much prefer it to Grand Prix 3 or 4 which I felt were not as much fun. The joy of simply starting a race, then veering across somebody else, causing a massive accident and then replaying it from many different views cannot be underestimated.

Will we ever get a Grand Prix 5?
Doubt it. Crammond hasn't made a game in over a decade and the FIA licence is now held lock, stock and barrel by Codemasters (unlike the late 90s/early 00s when every man and his dog seemed to hold a licence to produce official F1 games - I think there were at least four or five games all based on the 2000 season).

What should perhaps happen is that Codies make - alongside their usual offering - a hardcore F1 simulator for the PC and have Crammond come in and consult on it. But I doubt it could actually use the Grand Prix 5 name since I assume there would be rights issues. A bit like how last year they did the 'regular' game and an arcadey kart racer, but the other way around.

In fact it might be nice for them to make three games a year - an kart game for kids, a middle-of-the-road title for casual fans and a really anal sim for those who want it. But that would consume a lot of resources every year.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jul 25, 2013 9:49 am

Finally started playing System Shock 2 after all these years. May have to start again though as the game isn't very informative or clear with regards to levelling and stats, particularly at the beginning of the game, and I feel I've already made some bad choices in that regard.

I've also just finished Resistance 3 and, I've got to say, what a bloody gem of a game! I enjoyed the first one for its next-gen 'newness', and the second game was different yet also pretty decent, but the third one is on another level. It looks great and controls so well; the guns feel so satisfying and have a great amount of variation and quirkiness to them. The game is also paced really well, with a healthy mix of different shooter formats (switching between epic fire-fights, to zombie shooting, to boss battles, to stealth sniping, etc) - it keeps you on your toes. I'd probably go as far as to say that it's the best exclusive FPS that I've played this generation on any platform.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

sscott

Post by sscott » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:34 am

Legends of the Guardians on PS3 with my son. It's not...awful but very repetitive.

Play a game involving owls? Check.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Thu Jul 25, 2013 12:43 pm

Pinball Hall Of Fame: The Williams Collection - PS3 Still plugging away trying to complete challenge mode, i clocked the PSP version years ago but this version is tougher. Was close to finishing twice yesterday.

pratty

Post by pratty » Thu Jul 25, 2013 4:42 pm

More Metroid Zero mision, Mother Brain is doing my head in.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jul 25, 2013 5:15 pm

che_don_john wrote:Finally started playing System Shock 2 after all these years. May have to start again though as the game isn't very informative or clear with regards to levelling and stats, particularly at the beginning of the game, and I feel I've already made some bad choices in that regard.
I'd usually go for a hacker or a pure soldier. None of the weapons compare to the assault rifle.....

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:00 am

SJ_Sathanas wrote:
che_don_john wrote:Finally started playing System Shock 2 after all these years. May have to start again though as the game isn't very informative or clear with regards to levelling and stats, particularly at the beginning of the game, and I feel I've already made some bad choices in that regard.
I'd usually go for a hacker or a pure soldier. None of the weapons compare to the assault rifle.....
Yeah, I've read that hacker is the way to go. What choices do I need to make in that training prologue section before the start of the game (the part where you have to choose three missions to be sent on to boost your stats). That's the part that really threw me - just kind of felt like I was suddenly being asked to make choices without really knowing what they meant or amounted to!
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

felgekarp

Post by felgekarp » Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:06 am

I thought I'd give Candy Crush Saga a try, you know just to see what it was like.
Splink!

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:05 pm

Played some Fantavision and Tempest 2000 last night then today, made a start on Sigma Star Saga for the GBA. I've been wanting to play this game for years but now that I've finally booted it up, it's all a bit disappointingly average. Nothing is particularly bad but equally, I'm not overly impressed. Having mini shmup stages for the random battle encounters is a nice idea but they quickly get repetitive. The longer shmup stages also seem really challenging but not in an exciting way. As always though, it's early days so I'll keep going to see if things pick up. The game was developed by Wayforward so I was hoping for something really cool; perhaps I'll yet find it.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:22 pm

Tekken 6 on PSP,

wow that last boss is a cheap cunt, made me rip the disc out of my PSP and fling it at the wall, he makes it really hard to see whats going on.

One for the Computer clubs free guff box

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Not a proper fighter if the boss ain't cheap! Haven't had time to play anything much lately, apart from the odd bash on Lumines on PSP.

TwoHeadedBoy

Post by TwoHeadedBoy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:28 pm

Think I might be too good at Scramble now - 127,950 being my current top score :D

Also playing the original arcade version of Contra, but on the highest difficulty. I was THIS CLOSE to finishing it on one credit this morning, but you know...

Konami Classics Collection on the DS is the best thing ever.
My comics blog (mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 80s and 90s)
C=Style wrote:It's always refreshing and nice to see someone such as TwoHeadedBoy who is a SNES hating bastard at the best of times rate a SNES game so highly.