What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Provvidenza

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Provvidenza » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:24 pm

Battle Squadron on the Sega Mega Drive, had this back in the day, sold it, but just bought another copy, like it more this time round, wish I had a NTSC console to play it at full speed though.
GB COLOR, GBA SP, MD PAL, SF NTSC-J, SNES PAL, PS1 MOD, PSone PAL, SATURN NTSC-J, SATURN PAL, N64 NTSC-J, N64 PAL, DREAMCAST PAL, PS2 MOD, GAMECUBE NTSC-J, GAMECUBE PAL, Wii PAL, XBOX 360E PAL.

RUOK

Post by RUOK » Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:32 pm

Thunder Force IV on MD such a beautiful came and a rocking soundtrack

sscott

Post by sscott » Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:39 pm

Aliens: Colonial Marines, while its not great, it is no way as bad as many reviews said, it's a competent shooter with a few weird difficulty spikes, got my copy in a two for £20 deal and is certainly worth it.

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:10 pm

Tekken Revolution and the GT 6 Academy demo. I know Im probably being picky but to make you experience the game starting with a Nissan Leaf just feels like youre not trying to show off a new game. Id probably be better playing Lawnmower simulator as thats what a Nissan Leaf seems to drive like.

Apart from that , trying a few of my PSP downloads through the tv on my PS3 and not playing very well on Pinball Dreams / Fantasies or Space shooter. Think they just work better on the handheld.

Actually quite enjoyed a play on Ghostbusters and Soul Calibur 4 but Darth Vader just seems out of place and a bit ridiculous compared to the others.

killbot

Post by killbot » Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:33 pm

Black Ops II on the Wii U. I've sort of come to an agreement with CoD - I've stopped seeing it as a first person shooter (because I can't believe how perfunctory and linear the level design is compared to 20-year old games like Doom and Heretic) and started viewing it instead as a kind of Time Crisis/Virtua Cop style shooting gallery game in which you're given more freedom of movement. Once I've stopped disliking them for what they aren't and reached an acceptence of what they are then they seem more fun.

You can buy my book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wolfshead-ebook ... =wolfshead

NES, SNES, N64, GC, Wii, Wii U, GB, GBC, GBA SP, DS Lite, 3DS, MS, MD, Saturn, DC, GG, Xbox, 360

SinclairStrange

Post by SinclairStrange » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:53 am

RUOK wrote:Thunder Force IV on MD such a beautiful came and a rocking soundtrack
It really is! I love that game and I find meself popping that beauty in from time to time.

Currently me and my friend are playing through Fatal Frame 2/Project Zero 2 and having a blast. Solo, I'm playing through Treasure's game, like Alien Solider and Gunstar Heroes for research into my next game project.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:53 am

killbot wrote:Black Ops II on the Wii U. I've sort of come to an agreement with CoD - I've stopped seeing it as a first person shooter (because I can't believe how perfunctory and linear the level design is compared to 20-year old games like Doom and Heretic) and started viewing it instead as a kind of Time Crisis/Virtua Cop style shooting gallery game in which you're given more freedom of movement. Once I've stopped disliking them for what they aren't and reached an acceptence of what they are then they seem more fun.
A very valid point there - CoD in SP is very linear - and in places frustratingly so.

And it could learn a bit from the likes of Doom.
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:31 am

Been chipping away a bit more at the original Castlevania and am now up to the fourth area (level 10 to be precise) which is a right nightmare. The fish men, moving platforms and - above all else - bats are a nightmare to navigate. Luckily this GBA version lets you continue from the last level you lost all your lives on even if you power off. I'm assuming the NES version didn't have this feature? Proper old-school gaming that I rarely venture into :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Wed Jul 03, 2013 12:41 pm

Gears of War 2.

Which is the best GoW game out of the original three? I was given all 3 for a fiver and the 3rd is the Limited Edition version - but which should I keep and which should be traded?

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:01 pm

DPrinny wrote:Painkiller H&D
Or I would be if my 360 would stop being retarded "Disc is unreadable" ITS A NEW GAME!
That, this pack is a HD remake bundle, not a bad thing in the slightest

pratty

Post by pratty » Wed Jul 03, 2013 1:46 pm

Playing a bit of Kirbys Epic Yarn today. It's well designed and a good enough game, the lack of difficulty does let it down though. I'm not sure it's a keeper, it's very good in places but I don't think it's the 10/10 game some reviews made it out to be.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

bruteoutlawz

Post by bruteoutlawz » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:03 pm

On an arcade kick at the moment.

simpsons arcade
goldenaxe
punisher
alien vs predator
chase hq
bad dudes
captain commando
asterix
bucky o'hare
double dragon
gunforce 2
Marvel superheros vs streetfighter
metal slug series
robocop 1 and 2
shinobi
sunset riders
teenage mutant ninja turtles 1 and 2
xmen
superman
final fight series
crude buster

All on retroarch for ios. iphone 4S.
Using a dual shock 3 ps3 control :D

Panther Clipper

Post by Panther Clipper » Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:43 pm

Tie fighter, collectors cd-rom, its good to be bad sometimes, and since i have an English accent , its more fun to say "REBEL SCUM" as the periodically while taking pot shots from the relative saftey of my tie defender! 8)
"By what name are you known?"
"There are some who call me... 'Tim'...?"
"greetings, Tim the Enchanter."

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jul 05, 2013 6:07 am

The new Tomb Raider which is shockingly grand

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:03 am

Uncharted 1. It's ok, much the same as UC2, same weapons, same trophies, same control problems. Ok bit of fun but nothing special.