What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Fightersmegamix

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Fightersmegamix » Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:39 pm

A few more PS3 games:

Killzone 2 - The first real duffer since I bought a PS3, this game really is garbage. Where to start, the story makes no sense and there is no real motivation for what you are doing. The graphics are technically good but brown and grey beyond belief. The selection of guns is awful, with every one having a naff aiming sight. You can only carry two guns and one is always the pistol. There are always guns laying around so you never want the pistol and you are constantly picking up and dropping to change your second weapon. The game has every cliche in the book, follow the sergent everywhere, gun turret bit, recharging health, exploding barrels etc. There is a badly implemented cover system, the health takes a bit too long to recharge and there seem to be a few technically issues, with freezing when a new section loads. Worst of all though is the non stop drivel your squad mates come out with - 'I love this sh*t', 'get the f*cking gun' etc non stop, I'm in the middle of war with a bunch of right tw*ts. The game never gives you chance to look around and think, it just barks orders at you. I lasted an hour, too much of a backlog to give it more time.

Little big planet. This is more like it. I heard mixed reviews but i like what I've played so far. There are some problems with the three 2D planes but I really like the presentation and there are some fun downloadable levels.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:38 pm

Assassin's Creed II (PC) - picked this up for a pittance not long ago and it's not bad at all, imho.
Bioshock Infinity (PC) - only played this for an hour or two but ohmigod do the graphics look beautiful at mostly 'ultra' video settings in 1080p via HDMI on my 40" TV . :D
Zen Pinball 2 (Wii U) - gave the Spider Man table a go recently and despite not enjoying it much on first play I'm now taking to it a lot more.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

SonicTheHedgehog

Post by SonicTheHedgehog » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:05 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Bioshock Infinity (PC) - only played this for an hour or two but ohmigod do the graphics look beautiful at mostly 'ultra' video settings in 1080p via HDMI on my 40" TV . :D
What TV do you have and do you notice any lag? I have been thinking of getting a gaming PC and using my 40inch TV as a monitor but am worried about lag. I wont really be playing FPS online on it but mainly RTS tactics games as well as turn based games. Bioshock infinite would be one of the games id want but as i mentioned i wouldnt be playing online fps.
The square is a great shape, and one that is criminally underused in modern game design. In the push to ever more granular, chaotic environments, games have lost sight of the simple pleasures of right angles and straight lines.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jun 03, 2013 6:12 am

Finally got past level 10 and 11 on Ace Combat 6 - 360, finding it much tougher than the most recent Ace Combat. The story is complete trash but the game itself is cool, I unlocked the F15 Strike Eagle recently which in this game is formidable.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:30 pm

Finally made a start on Front Mission 4 despite having loads of bits im currently playing. Im enjoying what I've played so far and love how familiar it feels after recently playing some of the third installment. Such a shame it never reached the UK, yet they felt that FM Evolved was perfectly suitably for a worldwide release?!

I think im coming to an end with playing Persona 4 Arena online. Im nearly level 30 with Kanji although getting into a game is becoming more and more difficult. Played one person 7 times in a row! Such a shame that it doesnt have a larger following.

Roll on Guilty Gear..... :D

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:20 pm

SonicTheHedgehog wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Bioshock Infinity (PC) - only played this for an hour or two but ohmigod do the graphics look beautiful at mostly 'ultra' video settings in 1080p via HDMI on my 40" TV . :D
What TV do you have and do you notice any lag? I have been thinking of getting a gaming PC and using my 40inch TV as a monitor but am worried about lag. I wont really be playing FPS online on it but mainly RTS tactics games as well as turn based games. Bioshock infinite would be one of the games id want but as i mentioned i wouldnt be playing online fps.
It's a Sony Bravia that I bought in mid-2007 and I've never experienced any noticeable lag when using it with the relevant systems listed in my sig' and that includes my current PC.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Grid 2 and enjoying it a lot. I had purchased NFS Shift (that I had played on the X360) on Steam some days before and I was re-playing it, it's a very good game but now Grid 2 has all my attention, together with Crysis 3.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:54 pm

Now hooked on Dragon's Dogma. Hugely entertaining when my main pawn and I, both tiny midgets, rock up to a populated area and are absolutely taken seriously. :lol:

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Been playing a bit of Sim City 2000 lately, I've tried to make a green utopian paradise but I don't see how it's possible with everyone demanding more residential and industrial areas, concrete jungle all the way.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:13 pm

Sel Feena wrote:Now hooked on Dragon's Dogma. Hugely entertaining when my main pawn and I, both tiny midgets, rock up to a populated area and are absolutely taken seriously. :lol:
I'm well hooked on it. Best game I've played in ages. There's so much replayability in there. I've finally got through Bitterblack Isle and defeated the boss at the end only to find I can go back in there to kill his new manifestation and the whole place is full of new and harder monsters. Awesome stuff.

Are you online with it? I'll send a friends request and take your pawn for a spin if you want. I'm currently post-dragon though so no quest knowledge will be gained unless I start a New Game+++. Plenty of rift crystals and monster knowledge to be gained though. And maybe a new weapon or two.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:23 pm

^ Sweet, go for it, though don't expect too much, she's Level 10 and thick as two planks. :lol: Something I'm not too keen on in this game is the amount of on foot travel I've been doing so far, but I'm not far in so hoping a travel system will be introduced one way or another.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:29 pm

Sel Feena wrote:^ Sweet, go for it, though don't expect too much, she's Level 10 and thick as two planks. :lol: Something I'm not too keen on in this game is the amount of on foot travel I've been doing so far, but I'm not far in so hoping a travel system will be introduced one way or another.
See the Dogma thread on here for more moaning about the lack of fast travel (mostly from me) and the way the game eventually redeems itself on this issue.

I'll send the FR over. If the game lets me rent a pawn that's as low level as yours I'll be on the case (I'm level 121). If it survives any fight against anything other than a rabbit I'll be giving it a five star battle rating and that's a fact! :lol:
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:37 pm

I too am hooked on Dragon's Dogma. Time to pimp my pawn:

Sorcerer, about eight feet tall, level 30, well kept moustache, he's my butler and is called Jeeves.

Kind of annoying that sorcerers can't cast healing magic but I'm hoping the offensive benefits will compensate for that as I get more vocation levels. At least he casts Holy Affinity more often, which has been an absolute life saver against all the undead I've been up against recently. Incidentally the Mystic Knight sword skill 'great cannon' is a hell of a lot of fun. Combining it with a weapon enchantment that exploits elemental weaknesses will lay waste to hordes of every type of monster I've come up against so far.

DoraemonTheCat

Post by DoraemonTheCat » Tue Jun 04, 2013 8:44 pm

Just started Fallout 3. Takes some time getting use to the combat system. Hope to understand it better soon.

ivarf

Post by ivarf » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:55 am

Titan - Amstrad CPC. Incredibly fast and smooth for this machine. Must be 50Hz which rarely happens on an Amstrad CPC. Coded in France by Titus 1988. Played 8 levels so far and likes it a lot