What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

koopa42

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by koopa42 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:07 am

Skyrim. Legendary. It's so brutal but ace fun. I've never got more than 3 gold coins and crap stuff!

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Fri May 31, 2013 5:13 am

I'm working on New Super Mario on the DS . . . . Not a massive Mario fan, but actually enjoying this at the moment.... I blame my daughter for loving Mario Land on the GB!

I don't know why, but nothing on the 360 is interesting me at the moment, even Skyrim is failing to excite me... portable gaming all the way for me right now....
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 31, 2013 6:12 am

Megamixer wrote:Started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ... It's only the first location and already there are too many different items to keep track of :lol: . Obviously it's early days though :)
Prepare yourself for item overload. My character is level 100 with many hours on the clock and the constant stream of new items continues apace.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri May 31, 2013 6:33 am

Megamixer wrote:Started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen last night. Seems alright so far although I've only played the prologue bit and the first village, wandering around picking up loads of items and talking to NPC's. It's only the first location and already there are too many different items to keep track of :lol: . Obviously it's early days though :)
wow, so soon into it :D

Took my a month to realise I had it sealed on my shelf lol

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri May 31, 2013 7:10 am

A bit of Pink Sweets Ibara - 360

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 31, 2013 8:29 am

The Beans wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen ... It's only the first location and already there are too many different items to keep track of :lol: . Obviously it's early days though :)
Prepare yourself for item overload. My character is level 100 with many hours on the clock and the constant stream of new items continues apace.
In your experience, are all the items actually necessary or regularly used or are there many that can be ignored?

On a slightly related note, the bloody text on the menus that describes items looks really tiny for some reason. Maybe it looks worse because I play on CRT or something.
samhain81 wrote: wow, so soon into it :D
I shouldn't have started another game - I really shouldn't - but the way The Beans has been raving about it made it too hard to resist :lol:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 31, 2013 8:45 am

Megamixer wrote:
The Beans wrote:
In your experience, are all the items actually necessary or regularly used or are there many that can be ignored?
All the items do something. All I can say is after a while you'll have your own system for ignoring or storing stuff and it'll depend on how you play. Early doors I gathered everything to sell for money. The common items are easy to come by throughout the game so sell it all. I concentrated on picking up stuff I hadn't seen before and stashing it in Item Storage in case it was needed to upgrade weapons and armour or might be needed for a quest or something. After a while some stuff becomes entirely redundant (no point picking up Iron Blade pieces when the stuff they upgrade is too low level to be of any use etc). You can store a massive amount of things in the Item Storage but every now and then I clear out the stuff that's past its Sell By date just so I'm not rooting through tons of things every time I'm looking for something specific. Sorting through the loot is part of the rpg experience for me.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 31, 2013 8:48 am

^^^
Cheers. I've played my fair share of RPG's where you can get by without even using 50% of the items so I just wondered what the score was with Dragon's Dogma. Obviously at this stage I'm carrying loads of curatives for specific ailments without knowing how often I'm going to be struck by said ailments. I shall keep adventuring onwards :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 31, 2013 9:04 am

Megamixer wrote:^^^
Cheers. I've played my fair share of RPG's where you can get by without even using 50% of the items so I just wondered what the score was with Dragon's Dogma. Obviously at this stage I'm carrying loads of curatives for specific ailments without knowing how often I'm going to be struck by said ailments. I shall keep adventuring onwards :)
You're going to be struck a lot by ailments as the game progresses and you're absolutely going to need healing items. You don't need them all on your main character. Your pawns will use them if you put them in their inventory. Definitely stash cures for Petrification. You'll be looking at the Retry screen if you have nothing that'll cure it. Also, a secondary pawn that can heal and cure status ailments is well handy if you don't want to carry a lot of stuff.

Most status ailments time out but Petrication and Curse don't. They're the two that are a pain in the jacksie. Sometimes poison goes away and sometimes it doesn't.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Fri May 31, 2013 9:10 am

Just out of interest (for when I get Dragons Dogma) will I be hamstrung by my inability to leave stuff behind? I'd keep a broken Elvish slipper if I might need it later in these sorts of games.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Fri May 31, 2013 9:21 am

koopa42 wrote:Just out of interest (for when I get Dragons Dogma) will I be hamstrung by my inability to leave stuff behind? I'd keep a broken Elvish slipper if I might need it later in these sorts of games.
The Item Storage is massive (literally room for thousands of items) and you won't need to keep armour and weapons except for different classes. It's not a stacking upgrade system so you don't need one sword to make another sword etc. You obtain the item and then use material items (usualy loot drops or gatherable resources but sometimes quest items) to upgrade it. Once you have a better weapon you can sell your old one unless you need it for your main pawn or it has a specific attribute you might require.

Your collecting OCD may hamper you somewhat but will not hamstring your progress.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri May 31, 2013 2:39 pm

Syndicate 360

Turns out its a ok game, the music got turned off quite quick

Mancman

Post by Mancman » Fri May 31, 2013 7:28 pm

Tomb Raider on the 360.

My, Lara Croft has never been so much fun. Such a great story and the action is non stop. Brilliant!

weakboson

Post by weakboson » Fri May 31, 2013 10:08 pm

Megamixer wrote:Started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen last night. Seems alright so far although I've only played the prologue bit and the first village, wandering around picking up loads of items and talking to NPC's. It's only the first location and already there are too many different items to keep track of :lol: . Obviously it's early days though :)
Started this recently myself, not very far into it but I've been in and out of the capital a few times. I'm really enjoying it, actually. The combat isn't Dark Souls but it's a cut above most RPGs and the environments are great to explore.
gmintyfresh wrote:A bit of Pink Sweets Ibara - 360
Yes! I made a high score thread for this a while ago. I really want to 1CC 1.01 one day. But that will have to wait: if everything goes to plan I'll be deep into Saidaioujou this time next week.

EDIT:

The very next day...

Saidaioujou appears! So that is what I am playing.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Sat Jun 01, 2013 12:41 pm

My first nighttime foray in Dragon's Dogma ended badly a few times...

- First time I got killed by a pack of wolves
- Second time my pawn suggested searching the beach for a certain flower for a quest...killed by goblins :lol:

I did manage to find the flower in the end and win a few battles at night so it wasn't all bad. Had a bit of a random death in the village though when I slipped off a grassy cliff near the church and went splat on the ground. Random because I'd jumped/fallen from bigger heights before and come off unscathed :? . Had a lot of fun leaping across rooftops though :D

At the moment it's one of those games where I keep questioning whether I'm enjoying it or not but at the same time, I'm putting in several solid hours at a time so it must be doing something for me :)

PS. One question for anybody else who has played the game...can I equip armour etc. to my pawn? I bought a load of stuff yet the 'equip' command is greyed out on the equipment screen. I'm assuming it's just something silly that I'm doing wrong.