What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SoupDragon

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SoupDragon » Tue May 28, 2013 3:09 am

Heading back to the mighty Skyrim :D

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 am

Assassin's Creed: Liberation. It is hands-down the most boring, tedious game I've played in a long time. I was never a big fan of the AC games (hated Ezio as a character) but the gameplay was solid. Liberation ditches it and puts a strong, strong, strong emphasis in linear gameplay & disguises. The result is a game that moves at a snails pace.

On top of that you have a story that makes no sense (par for the course with AC games) and a load of technical issues ranging from dull washed out graphics to choppy frame-rates and horrendous pop-in.

It's games like this that make the Vita look like a joke to the masses :roll:

dste

Post by dste » Tue May 28, 2013 5:57 pm

Started the new Tomb Raider for the 360 earlier, played for around an hour and not really feeling it.

Already getting bored of the hit this button, hit that button game play and just want to be able to roam around getting on with it. Add in the 'survival' vision thing and it just feels like a poor version of Arkham Asylum.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

Morkin

Post by Morkin » Tue May 28, 2013 6:00 pm

Thought it was time to start playing my £4.91 copy of Gears of War 3. Enjoying it so far.

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Tue May 28, 2013 8:15 pm

dste wrote:Started the new Tomb Raider for the 360 earlier, played for around an hour and not really feeling it.

Already getting bored of the hit this button, hit that button game play and just want to be able to roam around getting on with it. Add in the 'survival' vision thing and it just feels like a poor version of Arkham Asylum.
There is no roaming around bud, it's a linear game. A brilliantly cinematic, gorgeous and fun linear game, but a linear game all the same. You either dig it or you don't.

I booted my MD emulator and played:

The Incredible Hulk - Unplayable
Captain America & The Avengers - Unplayable
Sonic 2 - Got up till oil zone before switching over.
TMNT - Absolutely love this game, not sure which one it is as all the text is in Japanese. Extremely fun though.
Blades of Glory (or something) - Atrocious
Sailor Moon - Awesome!

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue May 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Hiro wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Coast 2 Coast is amazing, one of those games that just makes you feel happy with the blue skies, music and mesmerising drifting. I was listening to some of the arranged soundtrack on Youtube last night and it made me want to play the game again.

Search for the C2C remix of 'Rush A Difficulty' (from Turbo Outrun) and feel the brilliance.
Definitely. A joy to play. Played it on both PC and PS2, and sometimes I go back to it. Outrun 2 (Xbox exclusive) is excellent too, but as it's been said with C2C you get double the amount of tracks, more music, more game modes. Amazing game, hope Sumo Digital will deliver more of that.
Hear, hear for the OutRun 2 love-in! A truly wondrous arcade coin-op, home and portable videogame if there ever was one. :D

I have OutRun 2 (Xbox), OutRun 2006: Coast 2 Coast (PC & PSP) and OutRun Online Arcade (PS3) and they're all fantastic, imho.

I played the PS3 iteration more than any other videogame this past console generation and its remixes of Passing Breeze, Magical Sound Shower and Splash Wave probably rate as my three favourite game music tracks ever. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed May 29, 2013 6:31 am

Fire Emblem Awakening - having to do some levelling-up as some of the enemies are starting to get very strong. Usually I don't like grinding but for some reason I don't mind it here in this game.

Also had a bit of a retro mood over the last few days and stuck Taito Legends 2 on. I played:

Puzzle Bobble 2
Cleopatra Fortune
Puchi Carat
Darius Gaiden
Liquid Kids
Super Space Invaders '95

Liquid Kids is one that I've never played before but I decided to give it a go after seeing it mentioned in the New Zealand Story feature in last month's RG. Really like the visuals and general gameplay but it's a bit tricky at times and became a credit-muncher!

The other five I've played lots of times before but had to return to as they are some of my favourite arcade games :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

imaxeroker85

Post by imaxeroker85 » Wed May 29, 2013 8:01 am

Finished Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare last night, which was really short so now I am playing Gun, I played the Demo of Call of Jaurez Gunslinger, and that was fun I'll pick that up when i get PSN credit. And I'll finally get around to playing Red Dead Revolver when I am on Holiday next week.

Also played some more MBL The Show 10 and Pro Baseball Spirits 5, both excellent baseball games.

Hiro

Post by Hiro » Wed May 29, 2013 8:35 am

Playing Crysis 3, not impressed so far. Nice to look at, but nothing that stands out from your average FPS up to this point. Hope it gets better.

Why care about the weather
It always ends in dark

Sputryk

Post by Sputryk » Wed May 29, 2013 8:37 am

Keeping it retro - Helter Skelter on the Spectrum. Manic, at times. Sadly, Side B of the tape has corrupted over time so no more self-designing of new levels. Ho hum.

slacey1070

Post by slacey1070 » Wed May 29, 2013 2:51 pm

No what I'm currently playing, but what my daughter (6) is currently playing... she has discovered retro gaming and has been playing super Mario land and teenage mutant ninja turtles on the Gameboy colour... "can I play games on that phone-thing Daddy?"

I also found a Gameboy Pocket in the cupboard that I haven't set eyes on for years and had forgotten I had...
Owned: Vic 20, C64, Amiga, PC, SNES, Dreamcast, PS2, Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, DS, Xbox360, PSP 2000, Wii, 3DSXL, GameCube, N64, JXD S7800.

“I ain't got a problem with your anger, hope you get around to having fun" Hugh Cornwell.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed May 29, 2013 3:06 pm

Mario party 3 at Computer club last night.

Its a really sweary game in multi player, especially towards the end when some git has won loads of mini games and has loads of gold

Well Wario always says hes "gonna win"

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu May 30, 2013 6:00 pm

Ratchet and clank crack in time. This is the first R&C game i've played and it's pretty good. I much prefer the clank sections but after a slow start the ratchet bits are improving. A little too much shooting and the space battles are dull but there's a lot of fun to be had.

chrisgoodhead

Post by chrisgoodhead » Thu May 30, 2013 6:22 pm

I am (dies) playing (dies) Super Ghouls (dies) and (dies) Ghosts on (dies) Wii U Virtual (dies) Console

It's easy.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri May 31, 2013 5:05 am

Started playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen last night. Seems alright so far although I've only played the prologue bit and the first village, wandering around picking up loads of items and talking to NPC's. It's only the first location and already there are too many different items to keep track of :lol: . Obviously it's early days though :)

Followed it up with some Puchi Carat and Darius Gaiden when I began craving a less 'involved' experience.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.