What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Hitman_HalStep

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:41 pm

^yes it was definitely a yellow one,i don't know how many times i tried but it just wasn't having it.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:47 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:^yes it was definitely a yellow one,i don't know how many times i tried but it just wasn't having it.
Did you actually get to fight anybody or did rival gangs just not appear at all? They only appear on one small bit of dead end road (the yellow square doesn't cover the whole town area). My copy was pre-owned a long time ago so I can't say if it was an original print or not. It's in a black case which I seem to remember being the box colour used on release but I may be wrong.

In any case, it took me ages to even trigger the appearance of any gangs in this zone so it may just be the game being extremely random and awkward...
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:54 pm

Although i started Kirbys Epic Yarn, ive strayed onto something else as im saving that for me and the missus to play together.

So i started Asura's Wrath. 9 Chapters in i dont feel like ive done much other than watch it. Its presented in these chapters as if it were episodes much like an anime series. The story is pretty cool and the action is a great visual feast, even if you do have to have a hand in it every now and then. Keep forgetting that a QTE could pop up at any moment. For £9 it seems a decent buy but im glad i didnt fork out on release.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:56 pm

Megamixer wrote:
Hitman_HalStep wrote:^yes it was definitely a yellow one,i don't know how many times i tried but it just wasn't having it.
Did you actually get to fight anybody or did rival gangs just not appear at all? They only appear on one small bit of dead end road (the yellow square doesn't cover the whole town area). My copy was pre-owned a long time ago so I can't say if it was an original print or not. It's in a black case which I seem to remember being the box colour used on release but I may be wrong.

In any case, it took me ages to even trigger the appearance of any gangs in this zone so it may just be the game being extremely random and awkward...
I had a similar experience and eventually got bored of trying to trigger an attack in the right area. I use to spend so much time doing the vigilante missions in the Apache helicopter; blasting convoys of badguys, earning huge money and listening to the radio stations or just music generally. The feeling of momentum with the 'chopper was great - I have no idea if it was realistic but it certainly felt that way to me. I tried Apache Airassault on '360 and it didn't quite feel the same though I plan to go back and give that one another go - if only because the Gun camera was great.

I won't buy another copy of GTA:SA because I wasted entire days just doing that and it's sucked-up enough of my life already, thanks!

Hitman_HalStep

Post by Hitman_HalStep » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:04 pm

Megamixer wrote:

if i remember correctly didn't you have to take on so many waves of enemies to get an area?
if i'm right then i think the problem was i could only get so many waves but not enough to take the area.
"i swear the thing is evolving before my eyes,if you see something this big with eight legs heading towards you let me know,i have to kill it before it develops language skills"

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Hitman_HalStep wrote:if i remember correctly didn't you have to take on so many waves of enemies to get an area?
if i'm right then i think the problem was i could only get so many waves but not enough to take the area.
Yep. First you have to kill a small group of enemy gang members on their turf to trigger a 'gang war' then you have to kill between 1-3 waves of enemies to take the area. This troublesome area we were discussing only had one wave for me to deal with whereas many of the Los Santos areas had three waves. I think the darker shades of territory colouring are harder to take and have more waves but again I may be wrong.

I love San Andreas. It's one of few games that I could happily keep and play forever if I had to sell the other 95% of my games for some terrible reason.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Eat lead

Its kinda fun, also annoying at times

bodmcn

Post by bodmcn » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:22 am

Have been playing a lot of Adventure A - Planet of Death that has been released on the iPhone. It has a UI that allows the text adventure to be played without a keyboard. Is text only... :D

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/adventu ... 69160?mt=8
ImageThe Train Game - updated and on your phone
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/train-co ... 60726?mt=8

firebreather

Post by firebreather » Wed Feb 06, 2013 9:58 am

Started Cicilization on the 360, only played the easiest level so far, but i like it just need to stop trying to play it like its command and conquer.

ZXSabreman

Post by ZXSabreman » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:16 am

Just been playing a few Gamecube games, Rogue Leader which has lost it's wow factor but still looks good and Paper Mario which still looks sublime. The Gamecube certainly has a great feel to it, a wonderful console, the RGB scart cable certainly makes it look much better than the standard cable.
"Time fades even legend..."

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:17 am

Far Cry 3 - it's getting better but it is an average game at best

Black Ops 2 - I've been hooked into the challenges :oops: it's fun trying to setting up classes that offer the most challenge options, especially having to use the classes LOL

Duke Nukem Forever - that STOOPID pinball achievement has me rage hooked! :x :x :x as soon as I get it? Duke is being packed back up in his Balls of Steel box and stashed away forever!

Fallout 3/NV/Skyrim/Sacred 2/Too Human etc - my older games are calling to me and I don't know how long I can resist the call 8)

edit:
ZXSabreman wrote:Just been playing a few Gamecube games, Rogue Leader which has lost it's wow factor but still looks good and Paper Mario which still looks sublime. The Gamecube certainly has a great feel to it, a wonderful console, the RGB scart cable certainly makes it look much better than the standard cable.

I wanted to sell my GC but when I booted it up to get ready for eGay? the missus put on the Mario Party games and that was the end of that plan :oops:

Stainy

Post by Stainy » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:24 pm

Been playing and finally completed Rick Dangerous II on uae4all ( on my Pandora )

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:40 pm

bodmcn wrote:Have been playing a lot of Adventure A - Planet of Death that has been released on the iPhone. It has a UI that allows the text adventure to be played without a keyboard. Is text only... :D

https://itunes.apple.com/au/app/adventu ... 69160?mt=8
Crikey!
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

bodmcn

Post by bodmcn » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:16 am

Am always fascinated by the premise of taking an older game and re-imagining it without the restrictions that the original developers had. Would love to look at games that couldn't make the cut of ambition on the original attempt, like "The Great Space Race" to see if it could be made the game it was meant to be today.
ImageThe Train Game - updated and on your phone
http://itunes.apple.com/au/app/train-co ... 60726?mt=8

Katzkatz
Location: Sunny Eastern London suburb of Leytonstone and my own mind!

Post by Katzkatz » Thu Feb 07, 2013 5:17 am

X-COM : Enemy Unknown. Once I play one chapter, I just can't seem to stop! :D