What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
3703
Posts: 48
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:14 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by 3703 » Sun Dec 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Grandia on the PS1. Excellent game, disappointed the Saturn version never got a translation!

thl
Posts: 4427
Joined: Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:52 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by thl » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:58 am

Dynasty Warriors 5: Empires for the 360. It's been a long time that I haven't play this series and I seemed to been drawn to it. The gameplay is blended with an element of strategy which is not bad.

Oh, and I revisited Pro Evolution Soccer 6 (360) too. Can't believe it's still playable after all those years (before undergoing massive update) and I'd consider it to be my favourite of the lot.

As for the PS3, it's been a mixture of Tekken Tag Tournament II and SEGA Mega Drive Ultimate Collection.

User avatar
samhain81
Posts: 2393
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:02 am
Location: Hazuki Residence

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by samhain81 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 am

3703 wrote:Grandia on the PS1. Excellent game, disappointed the Saturn version never got a translation!
A fantasy of mine, that I refuse to let go :cry:

bennyb84
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:42 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by bennyb84 » Mon Dec 31, 2012 9:47 am

skyrim or fifa 2013

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:08 am

Morkin wrote:Metro 2033. Hadn't read any reviews of this one which I picked up ages ago for a fiver or so & therefore wasn't sure what to expect. Played the first hour or so, then read the Eurogamer review & I'm not sure whether to continue playing or put it back on my shelf to be played later. :?
It is a weird one isn't it? I loved the setting of the game but when it came to playing it...ehh. Shooting is horrific, I'd pump round after round into an enemy only to see them quite happy swagger up and stab me
Image

User avatar
SJ_Sathanas
Posts: 1938
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 5:16 pm
Location: Kent

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:10 pm

Rayne wrote:
Morkin wrote:Metro 2033. Hadn't read any reviews of this one which I picked up ages ago for a fiver or so & therefore wasn't sure what to expect. Played the first hour or so, then read the Eurogamer review & I'm not sure whether to continue playing or put it back on my shelf to be played later. :?
It is a weird one isn't it? I loved the setting of the game but when it came to playing it...ehh. Shooting is horrific, I'd pump round after round into an enemy only to see them quite happy swagger up and stab me
Untill I learned to use VATS, rather than play as a pure FPS, that could easily have been Fallout 3.

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:30 pm

CIH wrote:
Rayne wrote:
Morkin wrote:Metro 2033. Hadn't read any reviews of this one which I picked up ages ago for a fiver or so & therefore wasn't sure what to expect. Played the first hour or so, then read the Eurogamer review & I'm not sure whether to continue playing or put it back on my shelf to be played later. :?
It is a weird one isn't it? I loved the setting of the game but when it came to playing it...ehh. Shooting is horrific, I'd pump round after round into an enemy only to see them quite happy swagger up and stab me
Untill I learned to use VATS, rather than play as a pure FPS, that could easily have been Fallout 3.
:lol: :lol: I had the exact same experience with Fallout 3 as well! I've tried to play that game countless times over the years but always end up quitting when I get out of Megaton. It seems stupidly hard in places, areas are empty and unattractive and...yeah, it's just not a place I WANT to explore in the same way I do in Skyrim & Oblivion. Each to their own I guess :)

Anyway! I've recently been playing Hatsune Miku Project Diva f in my downtime at work, fantastic fun in short bursts
Image

User avatar
Spyke
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:36 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Spyke » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:24 pm

Beat Hellfire this week so onto Thunderforce IV now... (Gaiares will wait...!)

Ant :)
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Morkin » Mon Dec 31, 2012 5:55 pm

Rayne wrote:
Morkin wrote:Metro 2033. Hadn't read any reviews of this one which I picked up ages ago for a fiver or so & therefore wasn't sure what to expect. Played the first hour or so, then read the Eurogamer review & I'm not sure whether to continue playing or put it back on my shelf to be played later. :?
It is a weird one isn't it? I loved the setting of the game but when it came to playing it...ehh. Shooting is horrific, I'd pump round after round into an enemy only to see them quite happy swagger up and stab me
Well, it's gone back on the shelf. Like you, I love the setting but, well, I'm not in the mood to play it at the moment. :?

User avatar
Rayne
Posts: 6610
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:51 pm
Location: Scotland!

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:59 pm

Tekken Tag 2 and it's driving me off my nut. F****CKING WALLS. Seriously, all that seems to happen is I get hit into a juggle combo, then land on the floor and am unable to get back up. Or I get backed into a wall and then get bounced off it like a friggin basketball. It's infuriating just having to watch as you get beaten down and are unable to do ANYTHING to get out of it.
Image

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 14969
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:42 pm

Still trying to max out all the levels of every character in Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed which is taking a while but I'm well over halfway done now.

Also playing Paper Mario Sticker Star on the 3DS and I'm stuck on the boss of the third world (the big poisonous Blooper) just because it has so much damn health. Great game though; very absorbing and addictive.
Rayne wrote:Tekken Tag 2 and it's driving me off my nut. F****CKING WALLS. Seriously, all that seems to happen is I get hit into a juggle combo, then land on the floor and am unable to get back up. Or I get backed into a wall and then get bounced off it like a friggin basketball. It's infuriating just having to watch as you get beaten down and are unable to do ANYTHING to get out of it.
Playing online? Offline is so much better because online players just spam the same combos and finish you off with walls. Fair enough, the game allows you to do that but it does drain the fun out of an otherwise excellent fighter. I think there was a mini discussion about this in the TTT2 thread and the conclusion was that the online is very stable but not as fun as offline Ghost Battles.

Otherwise...sidestep man, just sidestep and keep away from those walls before you're even pushed over to them 8)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
Shinobi
Posts: 7586
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2008 5:33 am
Location: The Pride Lands

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Shinobi » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:47 pm

Spyke wrote:Beat Hellfire this week so onto Thunderforce IV now... (Gaiares will wait...!)

Ant :)
Is that a 1cc finish for Hellfire? Can't even get of the first level Gaiares I remember being even Harder never beat that second level mermaid Boss or was it Death/Grim Reaper been a while..
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

User avatar
dste
Posts: 7099
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Northumberland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by dste » Tue Jan 01, 2013 4:34 pm

Started playing Arkham City: GOTYE yesterday and this may sound daft but I'm finding it too big at the moment.

I'm still really enjoying it but there is just so much to do and take in.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

User avatar
Spyke
Posts: 209
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2011 9:36 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Spyke » Tue Jan 01, 2013 5:05 pm

Shinobi wrote:
Spyke wrote:Beat Hellfire this week so onto Thunderforce IV now... (Gaiares will wait...!)

Ant :)
Is that a 1cc finish for Hellfire? Can't even get of the first level Gaiares I remember being even Harder never beat that second level mermaid Boss or was it Death/Grim Reaper been a while..
Yep, 1cc! I did it years ago when I first had the console and game so I was glad to see I could still pull it off! :) Had a few lives left but they disappear pretty fast in the second loop. Couldn't even reach the 2.1 boss!

The Mermaid is second boss in Gaiares and Grim Reaper is third. I haven't reached him yet and the Mermaid is still a bit hit or miss for me to beat at the moment.

The MD does great hori shmups!

Ant
PAL PS2, GC+freeloader, PAL PS1 (Jp-import-chipped), Jp Sega Saturn, PAL DC
Sore thumbs

User avatar
ShadowMan
Posts: 11123
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:50 pm
Location: 200X
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:44 am

I'm currently swapping between:

New Super Mario Bros U - Really liking this now. The levels are getting better and the challenge mode is really fun. Speedruns especially are really nice and tough to get gold medals but really fun in doing so.

Sonic and Sega Allstar Racing Transformed - It just keeps getting better with each new track I unlock. The new Jet Set Radio and Sonic 3 tracks are excellent and are instantly two of my favourite in the game so far alongside the Skies of Arcadia and Afterburner tracks.

Dust - It looks really nice and I quite like the combat system as well. Difficulty seems ok on "tough" mode, enemies are fairly easy to deal with but deal out lots of damage so it at least keeps me on my toes. One of the better Metroidvania games I've played.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests