What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DreamcastRIP

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:11 am

samhain81 wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:Sleeping Dogs (PC) - just bought the game for a great price, installed it via Steam, installed the free high-res texture pack, bought some DLC... and finally played it for a short while. Delighted with the game so far.
If you haven't done so already, check out youtube for a video of Sleeping Dogs redited to look like Shenmue. Its so funny, yet sad as well, as it gives you an idea of what Shenmue 3 could look like.
Thanks for that, samhain81. I'll be doing so for sure.

(That said despite the fact I bought Shenmue when it was first released and never really got into it, unfortunately. It's been on a shelf in a cupboard all these years so it's still in essentially 'mint' condition. :D I also snagged Shenmue II (Xbox version, including the bonus DVD) a couple of years back via eBay but haven't given it a proper go yet. :oops: )

I know some say SEGA's Yakuza series can be seen as the spiritual successor of Shenmue but other than a demo I've not played any games in that franchise to comment on it myself.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:52 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (PC)

- a new 2D platformer from SEGA that's not Sonic and looks bloody fantastic. Has been getting some exellent reviews :D
- Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXonPhEMaBs

I've only played through the opening parts (including the tutorial) so it's early days to arrive at any form of overall judgement but I'm definitely impressed so far. Sumptuous visuals, quirky sense of humour, not cutesy or twee, nice variety of 'weapons', etc. It's more of an exploratory platformer than, say, a game like Sonic The Hedgehog. :D
Same. Downloaded it as this weeks freebie from PSN+. So far impressed, but had to get back to Saints Row! :wink:

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:00 pm

bonerlaw wrote:Same. Downloaded it as this weeks freebie from PSN+. So far impressed, but had to get back to Saints Row! :wink:
That's one heck of a cool 'freebie' for PSN+ subscribers. :D

I played Saints Row The Third (presuming you meant that one) recently when the game was free to play via Steam. Really enjoyed the opening FPS-type section, the skydiving stage had so-so controls and the sandbox in the city stage I found really annoying. The game (PC version) can be picked up for only around £3-£4 nowadays so I might do so... in the hope there are more fun (to me) parts like the FPS stage I enjoyed.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nokgod

Post by nokgod » Fri Oct 05, 2012 4:23 pm

Spent ages tonight looking for something to play....which is sad really, considering there's more than a few games to choose from here.

Ended up deciding to start Tomb Raider Anniversary HD (on TR Trilogy, PS3) I have this on the Wii as well, but i gave up with that version very quickly, as i didn't like the wimote/nunchuck controls. At all.

Played the first couple of levels and it seems like muscle memory has been restored, as its a breeze using a dualshock 3. Left it at the start of The Lost Valley so i can see the T-Rex tomorrow. :D
sscott wrote:I thought Tomb Raider was the best game of last gen (and I fuck1n hate the Tomb Raider series!)

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:11 pm

You need a to play pile then play the first on on it

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:04 am

Megamixer wrote:
theantmeister wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Today I played some more of the punishing yet utterly ace Robotron 2084 then made a start on the Futurama game for PS2, getting as far as the end of Bender's first level. Regarding the latter, it doesn't seem like anything exceptional and yet I'm really enjoying it. The cel-shaded visuals and presence of original voice actors as well as amusing cutscenes - which could have been taken from a real episode - are keeping me playing. I'd say that if you like Futurama as I do then this game is well worth playing.
If it's anything like the xbox version, then I would say avoid, even if you do like Futurama! How did you like the Fry sewer level, Megamixer?
I'll admit that the sewers were a pretty low point but the stages afterwards were cool. The mech bit with Fry, shooting loads of robots in the 'Robot Red Light District' and Bender's catchphrases were all cool. Finished Bender's levels last night and I'm about to start Leela's. The game in general probably is a load of generic crap but I find it well presented, funny and faithful to the show. Then again, I really rate Simpsons Hit and Run too so go figure.
Have you tried The Simpson's Game? If you like Futurama and Simpson's Hit and Run, you really should try it.

I suppose with Futurama, I was really hoping for a much better game than we got. It isn't terrible (although the sewer level comes close) but it isn't brilliant either. The ending is pretty spectacular though.

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:23 am

Started LA Noire last night, so far very impressed.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:02 pm

borderlands 2, very good and very funny

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:06 pm

PacMan world rally, now playing threw the "Nightmare" difficulty, all thats different is now the CPU is a bit more grouped up

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:32 pm

Arkanoid DS using Taito spinner controller (DS)
Max Payne 3 (PC)
Super Monkey Ball (GC via Wii)

sscott

Post by sscott » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:42 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:Arkanoid DS using Taito spinner controller (DS)
Max Payne 3 (PC)
Super Monkey Ball (GC via Wii)
I'm playing MP3 on story mode, dunno about this one yet tbh. Cover, shoot, slo-mo shoot, etc... It's OK I guess.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:45 pm

sscott wrote:I'm playing MP3 on story mode, dunno about this one yet tbh. Cover, shoot, slo-mo shoot, etc... It's OK I guess.
Agreed. I posted the following on the previous page,
DreamcastRIP wrote:Max Payne 3 (PC) - a little repetitive but fun all the same, imho. Definitely worth the £12.95 the game cost me. :D

crusto

Post by crusto » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:08 pm

I impulse bought skyward sword today, so I'm currently giving it a whirl. My hatred of the wiimote didn't help things initially and I found myself hating it, the waffling of the npc's being another bugbear. Sure enough though, I started to warm to it after a while. I think I'm going to enjoy it after all, and most importantly, my son absolutely loves it.

Eat your nans pants

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:27 pm

Still Life on PC. Stuck on some ridiculous cooking puzzle where i have to bake some gingerbread men with stupid recipe instructions.

Edit: After staring at the screen for about 20 minutes trying to decipher it, i gave up and looked at a walkthrough. The solution turned out to use mere common sense :(
Last edited by ShadowNeku on Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:00 pm

Game developer story
Liked the demo, now I got the full version its become prone to crashing and the touch screen control's seem to of gotten a bit arsey