What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

SJ_Sathanas

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:59 pm

Zone of the Enders. To be honest, I got bored and fired-up the ZoE 2 (which I've already completed) for another play through. Warp->Grab->Melee->Throw is just too much fun and never gets old.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:27 pm

Phoenix wrote:After getting lost in Skyrim for a while, have gone back to the island of Koholint.

The contrast between a Gameboy screen and a 46inch LED is minimal once that music kicks in.
One of the greatest video games ever made in my view - no surprises there though! :wink:

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:14 am

Had a brilliant streak of 'Lucky Boxes' while playing Tekken Tag 2 last night. I have no idea how they begin but if you can get one with a star inside it then it indicates a guaranteed streak of lucky boxes for a set amount of matches. You can also get more star icons within these guaranteed streaks. In the end I had to turn the game off as it was getting very late but it was still going and I was getting up to 8 boxes on the screen at once :shock: . I think I amassed close to 10,000,000 G in one relatively short sitting!

The game itself just keeps on giving. It really is a rare game that was gradually hyped by teasers and character reveals but has totally delivered and not failed to live up to said hype. That's what I think anyway. It's definitely up there with Tekken 2, 3, Dark Resurrection and the original Tag as one of my series favourites.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:00 pm

Started red dead redemption. Not normally my sort of thing but giving it a go. Seems ok so far, hopefully it will stay focused and not degenerate into aimless wandering.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:43 pm

Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (PC)

- a new 2D platformer from SEGA that's not Sonic and looks bloody fantastic. Has been getting some exellent reviews :D
- Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXonPhEMaBs

I've only played through the opening parts (including the tutorial) so it's early days to arrive at any form of overall judgement but I'm definitely impressed so far. Sumptuous visuals, quirky sense of humour, not cutesy or twee, nice variety of 'weapons', etc. It's more of an exploratory platformer than, say, a game like Sonic The Hedgehog. :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:09 pm

Today I played some more of the punishing yet utterly ace Robotron 2084 then made a start on the Futurama game for PS2, getting as far as the end of Bender's first level. Regarding the latter, it doesn't seem like anything exceptional and yet I'm really enjoying it. The cel-shaded visuals and presence of original voice actors as well as amusing cutscenes - which could have been taken from a real episode - are keeping me playing. I'd say that if you like Futurama as I do then this game is well worth playing.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 04, 2012 2:52 pm

Sleeping Dogs (PC) - just bought the game for a great price, installed it via Steam, installed the free high-res texture pack, bought some DLC... and finally played it for a short while. Delighted with the game so far.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

bonerlaw

Post by bonerlaw » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:25 pm

Saints Row 2. (flame guard up) Im enjoying it much more than GTA 4! No more, "Niko, its your cousin, lets go see some teeties!" (although i do like to see teeties!)

The side missions are varied, engaging, and entertaining, and I felt genuinely shocked when one of the character was "offed"!

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Thu Oct 04, 2012 6:34 pm

Megamixer wrote:Today I played some more of the punishing yet utterly ace Robotron 2084 then made a start on the Futurama game for PS2, getting as far as the end of Bender's first level. Regarding the latter, it doesn't seem like anything exceptional and yet I'm really enjoying it. The cel-shaded visuals and presence of original voice actors as well as amusing cutscenes - which could have been taken from a real episode - are keeping me playing. I'd say that if you like Futurama as I do then this game is well worth playing.
If it's anything like the xbox version, then I would say avoid, even if you do like Futurama! How did you like the Fry sewer level, Megamixer?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:41 pm

Max Payne 3 (PC) - a little repetitive but fun all the same, imho. Definitely worth the £12.95 the game cost me. :D

Joey

Post by Joey » Fri Oct 05, 2012 2:47 am

Megamixer wrote:Had a brilliant streak of 'Lucky Boxes' while playing Tekken Tag 2 last night.
Yea ghost mode throws a ton of G at you, it's such an addictive mode where it's easy to get into the trap of 'just one more match'!

Also once you have ranked up 1 character to Tekken God you will have actually unlocked all the characters 1 or 2 special outfits and items.

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:30 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Sleeping Dogs (PC) - just bought the game for a great price, installed it via Steam, installed the free high-res texture pack, bought some DLC... and finally played it for a short while. Delighted with the game so far.
It's a great game! You'll probably be even more impressed with the PC port (I have the 360 version) since it looks even nicer.
Don't bother with any of the DLC packs as they're completely and utterly pointless. (Get free exp?!? Get in-game vehicles slightly earlier?!?! WTF?)
bonerlaw wrote:Saints Row 2. (flame guard up) Im enjoying it much more than GTA 4! No more, "Niko, its your cousin, lets go see some teeties!" (although i do like to see teeties!)

The side missions are varied, engaging, and entertaining, and I felt genuinely shocked when one of the character was "offed"!
Saints Row 2 is a MASTERPIECE. It's easily my favourite 3rd person open-world game, and it thoroughly deserves that praise. Here's hoping Saints Row 4 scales back the silly from number 3. Not that it will of course.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:31 am

theantmeister wrote:
Megamixer wrote:Today I played some more of the punishing yet utterly ace Robotron 2084 then made a start on the Futurama game for PS2, getting as far as the end of Bender's first level. Regarding the latter, it doesn't seem like anything exceptional and yet I'm really enjoying it. The cel-shaded visuals and presence of original voice actors as well as amusing cutscenes - which could have been taken from a real episode - are keeping me playing. I'd say that if you like Futurama as I do then this game is well worth playing.
If it's anything like the xbox version, then I would say avoid, even if you do like Futurama! How did you like the Fry sewer level, Megamixer?
I'll admit that the sewers were a pretty low point but the stages afterwards were cool. The mech bit with Fry, shooting loads of robots in the 'Robot Red Light District' and Bender's catchphrases were all cool. Finished Bender's levels last night and I'm about to start Leela's. The game in general probably is a load of generic crap but I find it well presented, funny and faithful to the show. Then again, I really rate Simpsons Hit and Run too so go figure.
Joey wrote: Also once you have ranked up 1 character to Tekken God you will have actually unlocked all the characters 1 or 2 special outfits and items.
That's cool to know :). I'm a ways off yet with my Kazuya and Nina only at the Conqueror/Destroyer level (I think...each new Tekken seems to add new levels of ranking so I forget where I'm at) but I'll enjoy ranking myself up to the top for sure.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:59 am

DreamcastRIP wrote:Sleeping Dogs (PC) - just bought the game for a great price, installed it via Steam, installed the free high-res texture pack, bought some DLC... and finally played it for a short while. Delighted with the game so far.
If you haven't done so already, check out youtube for a video of Sleeping Dogs redited to look like Shenmue. Its so funny, yet sad as well, as it gives you an idea of what Shenmue 3 could look like.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:04 am

I've been busy with the excellent Pokemon White on the DS, and Street Fighter II X Turbo Revival or whatever its called :lol: Great game - one of my favourite versions of SF II - if only the GBA had more buttons. Still, the GB Micro's d-pad works wonders on it.

Also - I decided to put on Metroid Prime 3 a couple of evenings ago. I've been stuck in Skytown for years. I dunno what to do or where to go. Its a right pain in the ass, but what compounds my frustration is the fact this game makes me want to puke - the fact that the camera is always moving in one direction or another gives me motion sickness. It only stops when you "lock-on", which then hampers you movement :roll: This game is a disaster for me. I just can't get on with it, having tried time and again over the years to play through it.

In comparison to the wonderous 2D Metroids, the Prime games have never given half as much fun.

On a sidenote - if anyone out there who is reading this message, and has not played through Metroid: Zero Mission on the GBA, I would highly recommend it - in my view it is one of the greatest video games ever made. Its short, but PERFECTLY formed. I believe it to be nearly as good as Link's Awkening, Pokemon, Tetris, Advance Wars and PSP Everybody's Golf as one of the top handheld games of all time.