What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed, lcarlson

Rayne

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Rayne » Wed Aug 29, 2012 5:49 pm

merman wrote:Downloaded Rock Band Blitz, great that you can download and play the 25 songs in Rock Band, as well as using all your DLC in Blitz...
Got the trial of this and I was quite interested until I saw an achievement for playing 300 unique songs. Wtf? They expect you to purchase that much DLC? Get bent

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Wed Aug 29, 2012 6:03 pm

Evermore wrote:
ShadowMan wrote:
Megamixer wrote: You have to expect nightmare bosses from SNK though; Zeus from World Heroes 2: Jet, Igniz from KOF 2001 and Mizuchi from Neo Geo Battle Coliseum are just three horrors from the past that spring to mind *shudders*.
Igniz will always be right at the top of my hate list in terms of bosses. I'm not a fan of 2001 as it is but that boss was so cheap he actually spammed an infinite combo on me giving me no chance of beating him :lol:

Its weird that the Fatal Fury series seems to escape cheap bosses more often than not. Geese, Krauser and Kain manage to be the fairest bosses I've faced in an SNK fighter.
Liamh1982 wrote:^ Or lose the first time, reduce their life bar by 75% then win! :lol:
That was always a favourite feature of mine, made so many of the bosses much more manageable!
Interesting about the bosses in the Fatal Fury series actually - you are completely right - they are all perfectly fair in my experience too.

Regarding reducing the health of KoF antagonists to 75%; that you can do that is indicative of the unfairness of these guys - its SNK admitting that they are stupidly hard. I don't even think they are hard in the traditional sense - they are just blatantly unfair as the AI reads your inputs and responds accordingly. The AI in a game like this is meant to be a substitute for a real player, but the worst offending SNK bosses react in a fashion that is not natural.

In theory these bosses are designed to p!ss off arcade goers into parting with their change over and over, until they get lucky. In KoF XI on PS2 there is the option to fight Magaki in "Arcade" or "Arrange" modes, the latter of which makes his AI like that of a really competent player. I can beat him on 8 stars in Arrange, but struggle in Arcade mode on anything above four.

I really wish SNK would sort out their bosses in the KoF series, as they can leave a bad taste in the mouth as the credits roll. The single player is usually really enjoyable up until these bigger, cheatier boys show up :?
There are some that still beat you even with 75% less life
2001s boss springs to mind

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:11 pm

DPrinny wrote: There are some that still beat you even with 75% less life
2001s boss springs to mind
Absolutely. I have beaten him in the past I'm sure.... but there have been times I couldn't do him at <75% health.

Nightmare.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:57 am

merman wrote:Downloaded Rock Band Blitz, great that you can download and play the 25 songs in Rock Band, as well as using all your DLC in Blitz...
Same here. Been playing it all last night and most of this morning, its incredibly additive and the fact I can use all my DLC gives me lots of different tracks to play around with. I didn't like the default controls though, the sticks just weren't precise enough for me so I swapped to the shoulder buttons, much better.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:55 am

Rayne wrote:
Got the trial of this and I was quite interested until I saw an achievement for playing 300 unique songs. Wtf? They expect you to purchase that much DLC? Get bent
The fact that a significant part of the game relies on Facebook is what put me off it.
If it's slower than me, dumber than me and it tastes good ... tough titty.

TyronW

Post by TyronW » Thu Aug 30, 2012 7:20 am

Modern Warfare 3 after picking it up for £10 2 weeks ago.

A solid game, I just refuse to pay full price for the game when a new one is released every 6 months.

The London level was pretty good.

Fightersmegamix

Post by Fightersmegamix » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:04 am

Still slogging away at dark souls. Got to the bottom of bright town, after being cursed and running back to the other end of the map my sword broke so i had to go back again :? Just as I made it to the bonfire I kindled to get a bit of extra helath and was immediately invaded, cheers :) Fought off the first guy but the second guy was at an insane level, who completes games several times then hangs around just to mess up everyone else? I like the idea of leaving hints but invasion is just a daft idea that makes you want to play offline. I'm addicted now, will have to continue the pain until i finish.

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:27 am

Fightersmegamix wrote:who completes games several times then hangs around just to mess up everyone else?
Griefers. They are envious of your life because they have no life beyond what they see on a game screen. This is a fact.

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:31 am

Jet Set Radio Future. Absolutely love this game, I wrote about it here: http://www.altmaguk.net/2012/08/underra ... uture.html
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:33 am

That's a new one to me LOL I had to google it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Griefer

Was I a 'griefer' when some glitching scummer was wrecking my BF2:MC games so I kept a message from him in my inbox Just so I could join his games, then spent the next 30 days it stayed they burying him every minute of every game he was on? I feel kinda bad now. He was a scummer tho' honest

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:34 am

Shadow Hearts Covenant. Thankfully much much better than the pretty poor original. The game just feels so full of life and the plot is more interesting. The combat is also fantastic, one of the few good things about the first game but the balance is much better than before.

Very impressed.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

The Beans

Post by The Beans » Thu Aug 30, 2012 8:42 am

koopa42 wrote:Was I a 'griefer' when some glitching scummer was wrecking my BF2:MC games so I kept a message from him in my inbox Just so I could join his games, then spent the next 30 days it stayed they burying him every minute of every game he was on? I feel kinda bad now. He was a scummer tho' honest
You were griefing that guy but a real griefer in BF:MC would be the guy glitching the maps so they crash or the guy on your team who's in your base destroying your tanks so you can't use them. Or the guy who joins every game simply to team kill everybody. Genuine griefers hate everybody.

koopa42

Post by koopa42 » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:01 am

The Beans wrote:
koopa42 wrote:Was I a 'griefer' when some glitching scummer was wrecking my BF2:MC games so I kept a message from him in my inbox Just so I could join his games, then spent the next 30 days it stayed they burying him every minute of every game he was on? I feel kinda bad now. He was a scummer tho' honest
You were griefing that guy but a real griefer in BF:MC would be the guy glitching the maps so they crash or the guy on your team who's in your base destroying your tanks so you can't use them. Or the guy who joins every game simply to team kill everybody. Genuine griefers hate everybody.
I now feel better, the guy was crashing games with the shotty glitch which earned my wrath.......so he brought it on himself really.

Space_turnip

Post by Space_turnip » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:34 am

On the 360: Sleeping Dogs (which is ace) and still Black Ops. I will get to the last prestige on it before the second comes out...

On the DC: MSR (which looks better than I remember. The new TV and running it through the VGA box makes a big difference), and MagForce Racing. I don't know what to think of MagForce racing. It looks decent enough (again, VGA box makes a big difference), and it's an alright racer but....it's just so boring. Doesn't help that I don't like the game it obviously wants to be (Wipeout) or that the handling is a bit off. Still, decent enough I guess.

shimpo

Post by shimpo » Thu Aug 30, 2012 11:48 am

I am currently actively playing League of Legends, Darksiders 2 and some Smite, and I am also thinking into buying Sleeping Dogs, anyone played it yet?
Gaming at its best since 1989