What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

DPrinny

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:19 pm

Urgh hit a brick wall boss wise on Alpha protocol
Up against this really annoying censored that keeps coming at me with a knife and taking massive chunks outa my life. It could of been a weird boss fight ("Turn up the radio" is playing while the fight is on), but no its just bloody hard.

Tried to sneak up on him, but he cant be
Meh was really enjoying it up to that point

djcarlos

Post by djcarlos » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:34 am

DPrinny wrote:Urgh hit a brick wall boss wise on Alpha protocol
Up against this really annoying censored that keeps coming at me with a knife and taking massive chunks outa my life. It could of been a weird boss fight ("Turn up the radio" is playing while the fight is on), but no its just bloody hard.

Maybe take a little trip to Taipei before you tackle him.....someone may be able to help out with his sniff.....

Joey

Post by Joey » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:19 am

CIH wrote:Tekken 4, PS2. It's alright but feels dumbed down compaired to Tekken 3.
I also tried Tekken Tag (PS2) and it's much more my thing.

Jin ko'ing Jun just feels wrong, though!
Once you play Tekken 5 on PS2 it's pretty hard to go back, thing of beauty!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Jun 25, 2012 3:25 am

Halo 3. Such a beautiful game (even if it is just more of the same). Shows FEAR up for sure, they can't have been released far from each other.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:26 am

djcarlos wrote:
DPrinny wrote:Urgh hit a brick wall boss wise on Alpha protocol

Maybe take a little trip to Taipei before you tackle him.....someone may be able to help out with his sniff.....
I read up on it, apparently abusing the hell outa flashbangs helps as well

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:34 am

Ghouls and Ghosts PSP

Been playing it for a week now, and still can't get past the first level.

This game is probably harder than ninja gaiden on the nes.

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:20 am

More Asura's Wrath - finished Episode 4 which is one of the best DLC packs I've played. Started lost episode 1, SPOILERS

Dark/Evil Ryu is tough!!

Loads of Minecraft, finally got the on a rail achievement. Now building myself a train station!!

Halo Anniversary - Playing Cooperative multiplayer. Still plays great and they've done a great job tarting the game up

Going to be playing some Gradius on the Saturn tonight

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:28 am

gmintyfresh wrote:More Asura's Wrath - finished Episode 4 which is one of the best DLC packs I've played. Started lost episode 1, SPOILERS
That boss pissed me off as well, had me wishing for a better evade/block mechanic as I couldn't jump in on him because he used the same tactics as in SSFIV AE which was both entertaining and annoying at the same time :lol: The second lost episode is even cooler and crazier (especially the ending). I really liked all the DLC that this game got, all of it was great fun and pretty well priced as well.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:13 am

Discovered there's a patch that fixes the hideous-multi-coloured-mess-instead-of-black issue when running old versions of Command & Conquer on Windows 7, so been spending some tie reaquanting myself with the joys of infantry rushing enemy bases on Red Alert.

RichL

Post by RichL » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:20 pm

Pocket Planes on iOS.

muppetboy

Post by muppetboy » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:55 pm

My all time favourite pinball game ever: Slam Tilt (Amiga version). :)

Freestyler

Post by Freestyler » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:54 pm

Trying to chug through Dragon's Age on Xbox 360. I don't know if I actually like it or not. :?

I've played each class's starter zone questline to see which I think is "me." The Warrior class seems just plain boring, and the Mage... Well.. I've only done the starter area and already I can see that I'll run out of hotkey buttons before I've even gotten past Lv3 for the Mage.
About the only class worth bothering with (that I can see) is the Rogue.

The thing is, I want to like this game so much. The City Elf starter story was epic in scope, as were the others. There's a lot to this game, but it's hidden behind some unbelievably clunky controls and some obnoxiously boring combat.
Freestyler: A customer that's too hard to please, complains all the time and wants everything for next to nothing.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:52 pm

Liamh1982 wrote:^ Thought it was pretty well known Tekken 4 is seen as a weak link in the series.
Yeah I just fancied it. I quite like the T4 Tekken Force, though.

I've also got Dead or Alive 3 and that pervy Beach Volleyball game but CBA unpacking my Xbox to try them.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:45 pm

CIH wrote:Tekken 4, PS2. It's alright but feels dumbed down compaired to Tekken 3.
I also tried Tekken Tag (PS2) and it's much more my thing.

Jin ko'ing Jun just feels wrong, though!
Well Tag was originally intended to be a Tekken 3 expansion pack which is why it has a lot more in common with that game than 4. It's like a final send-off to the PS1 era of games which is nice. Tekken 4 is okay but clearly just a transitional installment.

As Joey says, Tekken 5 (and the PSP update) is far better. The PS1 games and Tag will always have their place though.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Evermore

Post by Evermore » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:11 pm

Still playing away at Mario Tennis Open - having a ball with it still. There is plenty to do in it - I went from the tournament mode to the mini-games, then online for a while, and then back into the exhibition mode for a few games.... such a superb title that really pushes you to improve your skills.

Other than that I finally got round to playing the latest 3DS demos on the eStore; Kingdom Hearts and Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy. I'm not much of a Kingdom Hearts fan - I like the PS2 games but I don't like the annoying Square characters - very irritating to be honest. Gameplay is good but nothing special in my view. The 3DS game is better however. A lot more freedom in the gameplay. I was flying around the place in minutes and the combat is pretty good. But it just seems a game more for emo teens. Odd coming from someone who loves cute video games as much as darker, more mature titles - but the likes of Mario, Sonic and Zelda appeal to all ages. Kingdom Hearts is just too "angsty". The graphics are superb though and I'm sure fans will love it.

Theatrhythm is much more to my liking. The gameplay is great fun - very similar to the excellent Gitarro Man. The presentation is top notch. I'm not a huge fan of the genre, but this is excellent stuff. Might buy it Day 1 if the price is right.