What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

Megamixer

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:34 am

Black Ridge wrote:
Megamixer wrote: Pandora has too many negative drawbacks for me and the only time I've tried to use it is against Ogre as the end boss and it didn't help. I think I'm just going to ignore it.
Apparently the new gem pack will include a gem that extends the Pandora time to 20 seconds. This might make it a useful tool as it is dire and ive never used it. Anyone that has ever used it against me has been turtled or backdashed till their inevitable doom :lol:
Yeah it's just crap :lol: . I think the gems alone would have been enough considering that there are already different options for supers, tagging etc.

I don't hate the game but I've played so many fighting games over the years that I utterly adore so anything new these days has to be very special to impress me. I still don't think Capcom have topped the CvS games in terms of Vs. Those games were awesome and funky but SFxT seems to try too hard to emulate that with all the 'extreme' announcements and menu/HUD graphics.

Oh yeah and BRING BACK 2D SPRITES OF JUSTICE!! I would have loved this game more if it had resembled something like the job that SNK did with their KOFXII/XIII sprites. Never really liked the 2D/3D SFIV style and it's getting a bit old now.

Anyway, will try and give it some more time tonight but I switched it off last night to play Mortal Kombat 9 instead which I - shock, horror - enjoyed a lot more :shock:
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:38 am

Black Ridge wrote:i cant beleive how many people play Ryu/Ken teams. with all those characters at your disposal i cant believe people would be so boring.
I like the odd Ken/Ryu team sometimes, good for combo practice :lol: I've faced a couple that are better than the norm but 75% are your standard shoto scrubs. You mentioned Hugo, I like using him from time to time thanks to his stupidly powerful combo's and lariat super armour but I prefer Heihachi and Ogre at the moment.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Wed Apr 25, 2012 11:53 am

ShadowMan wrote:
Black Ridge wrote:i cant beleive how many people play Ryu/Ken teams. with all those characters at your disposal i cant believe people would be so boring.
I like the odd Ken/Ryu team sometimes, good for combo practice :lol: I've faced a couple that are better than the norm but 75% are your standard shoto scrubs. You mentioned Hugo, I like using him from time to time thanks to his stupidly powerful combo's and lariat super armour but I prefer Heihachi and Ogre at the moment.
My bro plays Ogre and he's very interesting to watch. I just cant stand playing Ryu and Ken as its so basic, but then again playing Mr.2.Moves isnt exactly mixing it up :lol:

I am a sucker for the dlc. havnt gone for the costumes as i would have to have them all and cant really justify £15 for the lot. Will have the characters though despite my ill opinion of the way capcom have gone about it.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:01 pm

I haven't played Ogre yet but does he have any of his Tekken 3 moves? I know he was a basically a mish-mash of deceased characters' movesets back in the day. Nice to see him back anyway - it's been too long :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

Arque

Post by Arque » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:11 pm

Killzone - PS2.

War is hell.

simes

Post by simes » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:49 pm

Just completed Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII so I'm re-attempting Final Fantasy VII! Never managed to complete it first time around on the PS1 and last time I tried on the PS3 my machine died on me, taking the save game data with it, so third time lucky!

Picked up a copy of Urban Reign for the PS2 from the Game sale for roughly 50p as well so I'm playing that a fair bit although if I'm honest I've got far too many new games and not enough time to play any of them properly...
ImageImage

http://www.transformersvideogames.co.uk - complete guide to Transformers computer / video games
Sales / Trades Wants: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=32492

gman72

Post by gman72 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:25 pm

I've started playing Bullet Witch and i'm actually enjoying it very much so far. I've just unlocked the tornado spell and its devastating effects on the environment are very satisfactory to watch. So far, so good. :D
“To gain your own voice, you have to forget about having it heard.” —Allen Ginsberg, WD

fahrenheit1987

Post by fahrenheit1987 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Finished Half Life 1 and 2 recently so now I'm playing Blue Shift while I wait for the Orange Box to arrive so I can try Portal.

Blue Shift seems very short!

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:49 pm

It IS short but I remember buying it back in he day and it was only a tenner or something.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:24 pm

Just been trying to play Dead Space as both games were on offer from Steam....... they seem to be nice atmospheric games and a bit scary :mrgreen:

Negative Creep

Post by Negative Creep » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:43 pm

IronMaidenRule wrote:Just been trying to play Dead Space as both games were on offer from Steam....... they seem to be nice atmospheric games and a bit scary :mrgreen:
Both great games, but I found the first one to be far scarier

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:46 pm

Downloaded Lone Survivor from Steam, and I'm enjoying it in spite of a few flaws. The retro graphics were what drew me to it, but ironically are also the thing which detracts most from it. It doesn't quite fit in with the creepy theme, and I think if a different art style was chosen it would truly be chilling. It wouldn't necessarily have to be "modern style" I guess, just less cartoony.

IronMaidenRule

Post by IronMaidenRule » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:23 pm

Negative Creep wrote:
IronMaidenRule wrote:Just been trying to play Dead Space as both games were on offer from Steam....... they seem to be nice atmospheric games and a bit scary :mrgreen:
Both great games, but I found the first one to be far scarier
It is indeed with the volume turned up! :?

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:36 am

look at it sideways wrote:Downloaded Lone Survivor from Steam, and I'm enjoying it in spite of a few flaws. The retro graphics were what drew me to it, but ironically are also the thing which detracts most from it. It doesn't quite fit in with the creepy theme, and I think if a different art style was chosen it would truly be chilling. It wouldn't necessarily have to be "modern style" I guess, just less cartoony.
I've downloaded that as well last night but not started it yet. I really like the sound of the concept, like a 2D Silent Hill almost from the trailers.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Apr 26, 2012 4:24 am

Given up on Me and my Katamari for now - it is making my eyes bleed and brain hurt. not a hard game but i need to beat something up or shoot something for a while.
Instead tried Tekken 6 - i got from the GAME sale. Then went back to Dark Resurrection pretty quickly - just prefer it - T6 's cheap boss did nothing for me (the bast.)