What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

delbert_trout

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by delbert_trout » Sun Apr 22, 2012 3:54 am

I'm giving the original 'Breath of Fire' on the SNES a go - looks quite good, bit of a slow start but hoping it'll pick up once I get other characters into the party.
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Apr 22, 2012 4:13 pm

I finished off my Hard mode playthrough on Shank. A couple of cheap deaths thanks to bottomless pits but other than that it wasn't to bad. Dead fun and I like the combat in the game, once I got the swing of things I managed to pull off some great combo's.

I then started Shank 2. What a piece of crap. The combat system has been changed for the worse, its possible to continually get hit as you try to get up which is stupidly cheap, the counter attacks is a good idea but implemented sloppily meaning you'll probably grab someone else instead of pulling off a counter attack more often than not as the same button performs both functions and the dodging has been ruined, it was much better as one of the shoulder buttons, meant I could dodge much quicker from attacks. I'm bitterly disapointed, they took the first game and ruined pretty much everything I liked about it :(
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

JetSetWilly

Post by JetSetWilly » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:23 pm

Managed to get GoldenEye working on Project 64k, and had a blast. Trying to get some speedy times down (fastest I've got so far is 54 seconds on Dam), but it's still just as great as ever, and it even works fine with the 360's control pad. My next trick is to get SM64 playable (which should be do-able.)
JSW's Guff Emporium! <- My bit of t'internet.
IronMaidenRule wrote:I want to be a mighty warrior that can give people Vajjazles with a swing of his mighty sword, and also replenish health with communal Merkins!....I would like to be called....Norman!

BennyTheGreek

Post by BennyTheGreek » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:25 pm

Marble Madness - NES
Off road Ivan Stewart (or something like this) - NES

2 class games.....

I really must buy some more NES games......its a cracking console...

Ferret Oxide

Post by Ferret Oxide » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:18 pm

I've made it to the last level of Black. I've been playing on Hard so far, but I can't even clear that last room on Easy. :(

DPrinny

Post by DPrinny » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:31 am

Fallout Bortherhood of steel PS2

Bloody good game, enjoying it more than Fallout 3 New Vegas

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:53 am

ShadowMan wrote:Fist of the north star: kens rage for the 360. Standard dynasty warriors stuff, notably that complicated when it comes to gameplay - just beat the crap out of anyone that gets in your way. The gameplay feels slower compared to other warriors titles but after a few levels I get used to that. The game seems to get better the more you level up your character as the more powerful combos and super moves can decimate groups of enemies in spectacular fashion :mrgreen:
1000 pointed this one mate and that takes quite a few playthroughs to accomplish but I shamefully loved every second and you're right as you open up further paths in each character's skill chart the game gets more and more over the top. I love the way the story changes to the perpective of the character you're controlling. Wait till you unlock Jagi, his moves are insanely powerful - the best £15 I've spent on a game in a long time :D

Darran@Retro Gamer

Post by Darran@Retro Gamer » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 am

Playing Pandora's Tower. Really enjoying it. Great visuals, Castlevania like elements and clever gameplay mechanics.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:09 am

gmintyfresh wrote:1000 pointed this one mate and that takes quite a few playthroughs to accomplish but I shamefully loved every second and you're right as you open up further paths in each character's skill chart the game gets more and more over the top. I love the way the story changes to the perpective of the character you're controlling. Wait till you unlock Jagi, his moves are insanely powerful - the best £15 I've spent on a game in a long time :D
Yep. I plan on getting all the achievements for this one as well, I'm trying to do all the missions in each level and that is proving tough (some are really hard to trigger) and it makes bosses way more dangerous (especially the qte's at the end). Cracking game though, so damn addictive!
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:14 am

DPrinny wrote:Fallout Bortherhood of steel PS2

Bloody good game, enjoying it more than Fallout 3 New Vegas
You should try the Baldur's gate DA games if you like it, same engine
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:27 am

Finally starting resonance of fate. Looking great so far...

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:45 pm

samhain81 wrote:Finally starting resonance of fate. Looking great so far...
Interested to see how you get on with that. Thought the demo was just ok but the whole style was so appealing.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:01 pm

On the fifth boss on Pandora Tower can't understand why people are saying its average when its anything but.. I started Last Story but not bothered with it since!!!

Dante's Inferno sure I can get 1000g on this seems largley really easy, maybe that 50 level arena could be a slog
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

shiftytigger

Post by shiftytigger » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:47 pm

Me and My Katamari - first time Ive ever played any Katamari game and I have no idea what is going on - so camp its untrue.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:02 pm

Shinobi wrote: Dante's Inferno sure I can get 1000g on this seems largley really easy, maybe that 50 level arena could be a slog
The 50 Arena is actually very fun, and easy. Time flies by