What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

snowkatt

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by snowkatt » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:10 pm

daytona usa on the ps 3 eveything in tact everything as it should be
even the crazy music is stil there it looks great and the power fo the model 2 board is evident

dirt 2 wish i had gotten this sooner together with colin mcrae rally 04 this is most likley my favorite rally game

sega rally revo time trials as usual

noticing a trend yet ?

morrowind on the pc trying out mods to make it look less hideous
that succeded
now im looking for better animations then the monkey string puppet that is about to have its strings cut animation it has now
hey wait ! i got a new complaint !

AmidstStorm

Post by AmidstStorm » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:34 am

I played through the original Sonic yesterday. One of the most dragged out and frustrating experiences I've had in awhile, almost painful, bar 2 levels in Starlight Zone i think it was. The game is just sooo slow paced. I was never a fan back in the day and it hasn't aged well.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:44 am

Metroid Prime 2 Echoes on Wii. Seems very good, like the control system, works well and gives you loads of customisation if you need it. Lovely atmosphere in this series, so desolate.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

Val Doonican

Post by Val Doonican » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:12 am

Tried 'I Am Alive' on XBLA and really enjoying it. It is basically disaster day of crisis (only a good thing) mixed with 'The Road'. Slow, but very enjoyable. God knows how IGN gave this a 4/10, much more like a solid [8].

Been mixing up Wip3out, DDerby2 and MGS on the PSX aswell. Much fun, although MGS can be sooo slooooow.
Currently Playing: Rage Racer, Resi 2, Super Chase HQ, BLOPS2
Complete: NES, SNES, N64, MS, MD, PSX
Current: WiiU

theantmeister

Post by theantmeister » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:26 am

Still playing New Super Mario Bros Wii. Finally got off the godforsaken ice level.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:15 am

I'm currently alternating between Asura's Wrath, Alan Wake American Nightmare and Assassins Creed 2. Asura's Wrath is actually a really fun game, the combat is very simple but enjoyable enough despite a bad camera and the story/cutscenes are really well done.

AW is a cracking little game. The main story furthers the plot of the series from where it was left off in the second piece of DLC for Alan Wake and looks to be setting up for Alan Wake 2 in the future. The arcade mode is really addictive as well, the first few levels are fun but the real challenge comes with the later levels, where hordes of enemies swamp you. Its really intense and bloody hard!

Assassins Creed 2 is fun enough. Exploring is my main interest in this game, the environments are well designed and I enjoy exploring them and scaling the large buildings. The couple of assassinations I've done so far have been disapointingly simple though.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Space Holiday

Post by Space Holiday » Sun Mar 11, 2012 1:12 pm

On Gamecube:
Resident Evil 4
Super Mario Sunshine
Harvest Moon: It's A Wonderful Life

On PS2:
Persona 4

On Dreamcast:
Shenmue
Check out Alt:Mag - We're always looking for new writers! Apply within.

RichL

Post by RichL » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:09 pm

Champ Manager 93 via WINUAE

And Mass Effect 3 on the 360.

samhain81

Post by samhain81 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Space Holiday wrote: Shenmue

Can't go wrong with that

LAIS

Post by LAIS » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:18 pm

STILL playing Xenoblade...

I'm stuck on a particularly difficult boss near the end. Don't want to spoil it, but it's had my HEART beating fast several times when I came close to killing it, but ultimately failed.

The people who have reached this stage will maybe know who I'm talking about. Rock-solid, and unfairly so I would say.

Shinobi

Post by Shinobi » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:53 pm

Catherine sure I'm near the end and getting annoyed with those exploding blocks that leave you trapped on a block in thin air.. And Silent Hill Homecoming the Hospital Neo Natal unit when you hear all the Babies crying is just evil.. I remember that Girls China Doll boss being a really unfair fight with unavoidable attacks that did heavy damage, add in un-skipable cuts I can imagine this part will anger me beyond measure
"Crush the Old Order and CREATE A NEW SOCIETY!"

Treguard

Post by Treguard » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:37 pm

RichL wrote:Champ Manager 93 via WINUAE

And Mass Effect 3 on the 360.
Playing Champ Man 93 during lunch breaks was all that kept me sane in a job I had a few years back. Ah, the days when keepers only has one stat, and you weren't sure what it did...

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:51 pm

Journey on PS3. Gorgeous. Stunning. Amazing.

ToxieDogg

Post by ToxieDogg » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:06 pm

Nearing the end of Prince Of Persia: Forgotten Sands on Wii now. Still think it's a great original PoP game (as I said, it's completely different to the Xbox 360/PS3 version) and it continues to get better as it goes along, definitely glad I gave it a go. :)

Also been playing Shinobi on 3DS...it's a pretty good game and the levels are quite well designed, I'm not overly keen on the graphic style of it though :( ...the animated cutscenes look really nice but the game itself seems really ugly in parts and barely a step up from an original DS game. It's also extremely difficult too, I've had to start playing it on Beginner (infinite lives) just to get a feel for the levels as I was getting completely murdered on Normal, however even with the unlimited lives it's a struggle. I don't think it quite lives up to the legacy of the earlier games either, which is a shame. :( But it's nice to see that they kept the bonus round in and more or less the same, even if you are throwing kunai instead of shuriken.
Sig pic temporarily removed...The Magnificent 7 will ride again 8)
Lost Dragon wrote:The 1st rule about Feedback is..

You do not give Feedback!

yasw

Post by yasw » Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:07 am

At the moment I am totally addicted to Forza 4, and have been for the last month.

In the retroarea, I bought the id superpack on Steam on sale for christmas, and am currently playing through the first Heretic game. Great fun. Is there even any fantasy first-person shooters these days?