What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

tachi

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by tachi » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:12 pm

Currently working through FFVII (PS1) & Phantasy Star 4 (MD) for the hundredth time and Skyrim occasionally.
Greetings Mortal, Are You Ready To Die?

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:17 pm

Football Manager 2012 - the game arrived in the post earlier today and I've now installed it. Life over! :D
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Rayne

Post by Rayne » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:32 pm

I've dabbled in a bit of everything today

Dead Island - This game is actually enjoyable, the combat is a bit flacid but the variety of weapons on offer keep me hooked. The quests are already looking repetitive after 5 hours of play, I imagine I'll be sick of them toward the endgame...still, I'll see how it goes

Sonic Generations - Trying to polish off some of the trophies, fighting that final boss with no damage? What the censored is that about? Friggin impossible! Then doing Emerald Hill in 1 minute? My absolute best is 1:03, it's driving me bonkers!!

Sengoku Basara Samuari Heroes - Dynasty Warriors but shot with a generic anime ray to be the most over-acted ridiculous game I've played recently.

Rinoa

Post by Rinoa » Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:00 pm

Misery wrote:
Shinobi wrote:Final Fantasy XIII-2 which is a damn fine game, liking it a lot better the previous one.. Seem to be stuck on one of the weapons thats killing my party in one hit
Previous one looked pretty bad, mostly because it REALLY looked like it was more cutscene than game. I mean I know the FF series does those of course, I've played most of them, but that one looked like it REALLY went overboard. My cousin played it, and later told me "Yep, it was the best visual novel I've ever played/read!"

Is this second one any better about that aspect? I'm curious.
FFXIII-2 is much, much better. Still story-heavy, but there's far more gameplay and exploration. I'm only about 15 hours into it so far, but thoroughly enjoying it.

It's certainly not the disappointment FFXIII was, although to be fair, I really got into XIII once I reached Pulse.

mrmarvelxiii

Post by mrmarvelxiii » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:32 am

Pokemon Ruby. Not played a Pokemon game for some time and juts really fancied a nice dippy-in-&-out game. Just reached the 3rd gym and absolutely loving it. People do moan about the overall formula never changing, but that's because it's so addicitve yet relaxing.
Chazz it up!!!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:24 am

mrzeldaman wrote:i am playing soul reaver for the playstation. that game really does not the kudos it should. Trying to find a dreamcast version to play it look better by a long way.
Very nice game, I have both versions. Soul Reaver 2 is even better too.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

retrojc

Post by retrojc » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:26 am

nakamura wrote:
mrzeldaman wrote:i am playing soul reaver for the playstation. that game really does not the kudos it should. Trying to find a dreamcast version to play it look better by a long way.
Very nice game, I have both versions. Soul Reaver 2 is even better too.
Yep brilliant game, better on DC for sure, but still a game I bought at launch back in the day. Can't comment on SR2 though

ShadowNeku

Post by ShadowNeku » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:46 am

I preferred Soul Reaver 1 personally. There was a larger sense of exploration and discovery with the secret health upgrades and glyphs. Combat and story is stronger in the sequel though.
I asked for orange. It gave me lemon lime!

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:57 am

I can appreciate that but I found it a bit aimless in places and miles too easy to get lost.
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

the_b1ues

Post by the_b1ues » Sun Feb 05, 2012 6:58 am

IM BACK! Been awhile since i posted on here,

Been playing nothing but Gears of War 3 struggling to pull myself away,i need to get back into retro but i cant take myself off my 360.

HalcyonDaze00

Post by HalcyonDaze00 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:46 am

still skyrim

Flint

Post by Flint » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:03 am

I thought I had recovered from my Advance Wars (2) addiction but its sucked me back in, I've finally won Risky Vale in the War Room though so it's all worth it.

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:38 am

Secret of Mana on the SNES still. Got four mana orbs now and just reached the empire. Loving it! I did manage to do the fire and ice temples in the wrong order though.

thereallocomaniac

Post by thereallocomaniac » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:24 pm

At. The momment I'm currently making it my mission to finish a game a week for a whole year.
So far I've finished
Kwik snax (ZX spectrum)
Bruce lee (Speccy)
Target renegade

I'm also going to try and finish some classic arcade games like
Robocop
Aliens

Current gen game wise
Not really playing much due to lack of time

Pippy

Post by Pippy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:34 pm

I'm joining in the mass playing of Half-Life 2 on Steam this weekend (to show Valve that people want Half-Life 3), loving it so far - the sound is still excellent, lots of set-pieces, I'm finding all sorts of Lambda item caches I'd never noticed before, and I finally got to meet the Singing Vortigaunt. Then I alt-tabbed the game while I got dinner, and it crashed. Ho-hum. Still, I think I'll keep playing to the end.