What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

pratty

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:54 pm

delbert_trout wrote:Currently switching back and forth between Zelda OOT (N64) and the original Shining Force (MD). Absolutely loving the Zelda, first time playing it and can see why it's so highly regarded as one of the best games. Superb :)
Really? I wish I could play OOT for the first time again, still lots of fun to replay now and gain though.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

delbert_trout

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:00 pm

Definitely - only done a couple of dungeons so far so lots and lots still to enjoy by the look of it :mrgreen:
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Sel Feena

Post by Sel Feena » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:25 pm

^Let's see if you feel the same way when you take on the Zora water temple! :wink:

Properly hammering Busou Shinki now, got to the point where I can just about handle the 3-on-1 fights.

SJ_Sathanas

Post by SJ_Sathanas » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:44 pm

I don't recall the water temple being that big a deal tbh. On a related matter I've just got the master sword in Twilight Princess.

dste

Post by dste » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:42 pm

Started playing Mario Kart DS earlier and I have to be honest it didn't grab me like I thought it would. Don't know why but after playing through three trophies I'm just not feeling it.
Game Over Yeah - My Blog
Game Over Yeah - Facebook
Megamixer wrote:I never find it relaxing! Trying to hold onto my rings and not get hit by things is stressful!

eeztheman

Post by eeztheman » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:57 pm

Chopper Command on the VCS - really has the "one more go" factor for me.

The Laird

Post by The Laird » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:22 pm

eeztheman wrote:Chopper Command on the VCS - really has the "one more go" factor for me.
It's a brilliant Defender clone, I am glad you are enjoying it! :D

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:33 pm

Trials HD on 360, it really is superb, went back to for the first time in months this afternoon and I can't put the ruddy thing down. One of those games I'll happily blob out 400pts on the track packs, and I'm a tightwad when it comes to such things. Definitely a 'top ten of all time' for me. :)

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Jan 20, 2012 4:40 am

JazzFunk wrote:Trials HD on 360, it really is superb, went back to for the first time in months this afternoon and I can't put the ruddy thing down. One of those games I'll happily blob out 400pts on the track packs, and I'm a tightwad when it comes to such things. Definitely a 'top ten of all time' for me. :)
I bought that about a year ago and still haven't played it. Having just played Joe Danger, and being under the impression that Trials was similar, I wanted a break from that type of game (loved Joe Danger, but some of the later coin dash levels really took it out of me!).

Am I right in thinking that Trials is quite a similar game to Joe Danger?
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

jdanddiet

Post by jdanddiet » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:03 am

Had another hours' worth of Crysis 2 last night, really enjoying this game, taking a few neat twists and turns.
For retro news, full articles, retrospectives and a gallery of my work check out http://wizwords.net/
Wizwords on Twitter: https://twitter.com/Wizwords
and Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/wizwords

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:39 am

che_don_john wrote:Am I right in thinking that Trials is quite a similar game to Joe Danger?
I just DLd the demo of Joe Danger and it seems much more like a platformer/collectathon than Trials. Trials is an insane, pure, physics-based time/trick game which gets sadistically nuts the further you get in, yet it has plentiful checkpoints that somehow make the pain feel sweet to endure. From what i played of JD, it's not in the same league, at least in terms of 'hardcoreness'. Not only that, it's less cutesy than JD and the poor biker bloke doesn't half get proper battered in Trials (not only that, you can eject him from the bike at will, even in the middle of a 50ft jump!)

They're both very different. I URGE you to play Trials, you owe it to yourself!!!!

che_don_john

Post by che_don_john » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:56 am

JazzFunk wrote:
che_don_john wrote:Am I right in thinking that Trials is quite a similar game to Joe Danger?
I just DLd the demo of Joe Danger and it seems much more like a platformer/collectathon than Trials. Trials is an insane, pure, physics-based time/trick game which gets sadistically nuts the further you get in, yet it has plentiful checkpoints that somehow make the pain feel sweet to endure. From what i played of JD, it's not in the same league, at least in terms of 'hardcoreness'. Not only that, it's less cutesy than JD and the poor biker bloke doesn't half get proper battered in Trials (not only that, you can eject him from the bike at will, even in the middle of a 50ft jump!)

They're both very different. I URGE you to play Trials, you owe it to yourself!!!!
Good stuff; in that case I'm going to get straight onto Trials once I've finished playing Lost Planet.

I have to say, though, that if you think Joe Danger is a walk in the park then you might have a surprise coming your way! The early levels are easy, but once you get into the final third of the game then some of the levels are brutal; particularly the Coin Dashes (and assuming that you're going for 100% game completion). It's one of those games that makes you want to snap your controller, yet one that always gives you a glimmer of hope that you can finish the level; a classic 'just one more go, I'll do it this time' game.
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

JazzFunk

Post by JazzFunk » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 am

^I liked what I played of JD, and I'll deffo grab it when it inevitably turns up in one of the XBLA sales (like I did with Trials). Even from the demo I could see it was gonna get tricky, and it's a beautiful-looking game that plays fantastic. But Trials is like something else...it's weird. You can play it for hours on ened, you can stick it on for five minutes, it's got that thang going on, and there really is something about that poor bloke on the bike getting mashed up all over the shop, it's really funny. :D

gmintyfresh

Post by gmintyfresh » Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:09 am

Had a Megadrive love in last night:

Fire Shark - Surprisingly fun shooter can't belive it's taken me this long to get the Toaplan gem in the collection.

Sunsetriders - Wow, think I prefer this to the SNES version it doesn't seem as insanely hard and those graphics are charming and fun.

Star Odyssey - Fianlly cranked this "new" Megadrive RPG up and it seems very competant, great sound track and lovely cutscenes great job Super Fighter Team!

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:08 am

pratty wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:
Very nice. Did this get a hard copy release or was it download only? Either way its helping make my decision on which current gen format I may move on to.
Download only as far as I know, I believe it's on both PS3 and 360.
Thought this may interest you -

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/01/20/play- ... -good-and/