What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13165
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by sscott » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:41 am

Some Caverns of Minos on iOS which is really good. A bit of PGR4 as I just fancied racing around a track for a bit and started the not particularly well reviewed Dark Void as its been on mys shelf for over a year, doesn't seem too bad if already a touch repetitive. The flying sections are not much fun.
Image

User avatar
gmintyfresh
Posts: 5955
Joined: Thu Apr 19, 2007 11:28 am
Location: Leeds England
Contact:

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by gmintyfresh » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:01 am

sscott wrote:Some Caverns of Minos on iOS which is really good. A bit of PGR4 as I just fancied racing around a track for a bit and started the not particularly well reviewed Dark Void as its been on mys shelf for over a year, doesn't seem too bad if already a touch repetitive. The flying sections are not much fun.
I enjoyed Dark Void the game really tried some now things, it gets much better as your abilities power up and some of those levels are really nicely designed - I really like the vertical cover mechanic. It's a shame that I played the Bionic Commando retool at about the same time because aspects of both games have merged into one as time has passed. They do have some similar attributes - fun game though and it took me a couple of attempts to get into it.

User avatar
sscott
Posts: 13165
Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 pm
Location: Sheffield

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by sscott » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:03 am

gmintyfresh wrote:
sscott wrote:Some Caverns of Minos on iOS which is really good. A bit of PGR4 as I just fancied racing around a track for a bit and started the not particularly well reviewed Dark Void as its been on mys shelf for over a year, doesn't seem too bad if already a touch repetitive. The flying sections are not much fun.
I enjoyed Dark Void the game really tried some now things, it gets much better as your abilities power up and some of those levels are really nicely designed - I really like the vertical cover mechanic. It's a shame that I played the Bionic Commando retool at about the same time because aspects of both games have merged into one as time has passed. They do have some similar attributes - fun game though and it took me a couple of attempts to get into it.
I'll stick with it then, thanks! :D
Image

User avatar
aztecca
Posts: 5216
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:18 pm
Location: http://retrocanteen.boards.net/

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by aztecca » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:25 pm

Currently making my way through limbo and playing a fair bit of team deathmatch on Gears of War 3.If anyone wants to add me on xbox live for a game i am Azda32 :D
SH1T HAPPENS :wink:

User avatar
djcarlos
Posts: 4198
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2006 5:57 am
Location: Just outside the Imperial Capital Of Seaford

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by djcarlos » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:46 am

Completely and utterly sucked in to Arkham City now.....what a game!
Image

User avatar
Misery
Posts: 2236
Joined: Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:52 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Misery » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:20 am

Dungeon Raid on iOS tonight.

I'd intended on some crazy shmup action, and maybe some Dwarf Fortress, but then a friend introduced me to Dungeon Raid, and..... yeah, I didnt do much else aside from that. Bloody amazing game.

Also very, very difficult.

Love the heck outta it.

Morkin
Posts: 2679
Joined: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:37 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Morkin » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:28 am

Majin & The Forsaken Kingdom (PS3) Currently 3 hours in & it's pretty good despite the absolutely awful voice acting. Can voice acting get any worse? :lol:

User avatar
Megamixer
Posts: 15035
Joined: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:18 am
Location: Staffs, UK

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by Megamixer » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:33 am

More online Soul Calibur IV. I still resent the Star Wars characters but there's still something awesome about fighting in the Star Destroyer docking bay with the main Star Wars theme playing :)
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:05 am

pratty wrote:Beyond Good and Evil on the Gamecube, this is my second playthrough.

This is one game I do play repeatedly. For some reason the PS2 version didnt get me as much as the cube version - maybe because it pushed the cube more than the ps2. Its a blissfully simple game (without being childish or condescending) with enough challenge to keep replaying. i think I could live with it if they gave it a HD makeover as long as they dont tinker too much!

At the moment I am playing Pokemon Soul Silver - don't really have anything I want to play so just playing alongside my son - trying to outdo an 8 year old on Heart gold. Such a grown up.
Image

User avatar
DPrinny
Posts: 25179
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:24 pm
Location: Super Mancyland

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by DPrinny » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:11 am

shiftytigger wrote:
pratty wrote:Beyond Good and Evil on the Gamecube, this is my second playthrough.

This is one game I do play repeatedly. For some reason the PS2 version didnt get me as much as the cube version - maybe because it pushed the cube more than the ps2. Its a blissfully simple game (without being childish or condescending) with enough challenge to keep replaying. i think I could live with it if they gave it a HD makeover as long as they dont tinker too much!
I got news for you

http://beyond-good-and-evil.ubi.com/bey ... n-US/home/

User avatar
crusto
Posts: 5586
Joined: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:18 pm
Location: Birmingham

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by crusto » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:38 am

Skyrim was delivered this morning. Im afraid to install it to be honest as ive just invested over 200 hours into dark souls trying to get the platinum trophy. If I start playing it and enjoy it I wont be pursuing that trophy anymore will I :? .
Image

Eat your nans pants

User avatar
shiftytigger
Posts: 2965
Joined: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:53 am
Location: East London

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by shiftytigger » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:03 am

DPrinny wrote:
shiftytigger wrote:
pratty wrote:Beyond Good and Evil on the Gamecube, this is my second playthrough.

This is one game I do play repeatedly. For some reason the PS2 version didnt get me as much as the cube version - maybe because it pushed the cube more than the ps2. Its a blissfully simple game (without being childish or condescending) with enough challenge to keep replaying. i think I could live with it if they gave it a HD makeover as long as they dont tinker too much!
I got news for you

http://beyond-good-and-evil.ubi.com/bey ... n-US/home/
Very nice. Did this get a hard copy release or was it download only? Either way its helping make my decision on which current gen format I may move on to.
Image

pratty
Posts: 5603
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by pratty » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:10 am

shiftytigger wrote:
Very nice. Did this get a hard copy release or was it download only? Either way its helping make my decision on which current gen format I may move on to.
Download only as far as I know, I believe it's on both PS3 and 360.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

User avatar
che_don_john
Posts: 1231
Joined: Thu Feb 03, 2011 11:51 am

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by che_don_john » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:25 am

Having finished DA2 recently I've moved on to Lost Planet (the first one). Bit of an odd one to be playing, given that it's been out a while, but I'd missed the boat when it came out and had heard good things about it since. So far, so good. Boss battles are a little annoying (tend to feel a bit cheap, but I always find that with boss fights in Japanese games) but I like the 'thermal energy' concept of the game - keeps you moving through at pace.

I'm lining up a racing game to play next. Unless I can get NfS:Hot Pursuit for under £10 new (so I can get the online code), it's going to be either Split/Second, Blur or PGR4.

PGR series was one I'd always passed up as, for some reason, I thought it was a racing sim. I've since learned that it's a brilliant arcade racing series.

Would anyone recommend PGR4 for someone who is a Wipeout/Burnout fan?
CheDonJohn's Sale/Trade/Wanted/Giveaway thread

PSN ID, XBL Gamertag and Steam: CheDonJohn
Playfire profile

Image

User avatar
delbert_trout
Posts: 753
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:51 am
Location: Brighton & Hove

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by delbert_trout » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:47 pm

Currently switching back and forth between Zelda OOT (N64) and the original Shining Force (MD). Absolutely loving the Zelda, first time playing it and can see why it's so highly regarded as one of the best games. Superb :)
http://www.retrogamer.net/user/delbert_trout

When you think you've got problems you don't really need,
They're maybe not as bad as they seem,
Cos in a world full of misery, with hatred and greed,
Your problems are another man's dream.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests