What are you currently playing?

Discuss and discover all the great games of yesteryear!

Moderators: mknott, NickThorpe, lcarlson, Darran@Retro Gamer, MMohammed

ShadowMan

Re: What are you currently playing?

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:11 am

Mootown wrote:It's really good mate, but a bit different to a 'normal' Resi game - it's split into chunks, kind of chapters I suppose, and it's swapping between two storylines - I guess it will all come together eventually! Graphically it looks really awesome, especially for a 3DS game. I've been playing it with my headphones on as the sound really adds to the experience. I fully recommend headphones when playing it! I've only done about 2 and a half hours so far but I'm enjoying it. Only downside are the traditional Resi controls still suck a bit - I had to change to control option 2 and alter it so it stayed in 3rd person when aiming (by default it throws you into first person which I find a bit jarring) The good old 'have to stand still while shooting' is back!

I do think the circle pad pro would make it play better, but I don't have one yet :( Still it's ok once you get the set-up right.
Good to hear :D I heard about the shorter chapter based gameplay, designed for portable play whilst communiting I guess?

I know its slightly slower paced and more atmospheric than the last couple of RE games but out of interest does it have many/any puzzles to speak of?
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Mootown

Post by Mootown » Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:57 am

^ Well I've gone back to the default controls, and figured out how to move while shooting, although your gun is still 'locked' as you move. Whether circle pad allows better than this I don't know. I guess it's a lot like Resi 1/2 - there's keys for doors to find and opportunities to go back to area's you couldn't previously get to etc. I've done a couple of puzzles too so there are some in there. Really need to try it with Circle pad pro if I can.

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks for the impressions. Glad to hear that there are at least a couple of puzzles in the game, I was quite disapointed especially at RE5 at how they pretty much had no puzzles in the game.
My Complete Megaman/Rockman collection: http://retrogamer.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=26485 *Updated 22/05/2011*

Nautical Rudie

Post by Nautical Rudie » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:03 pm

DreamcastRIP wrote:I think SMK hasn't aged at all well (ditto MK Super Circuit too, for that matter).
No way, Super Circuit is still brilliant! Great balance of weapons and driving skill, decent character roster where each has strengths and weaknesses, brilliant tracks, versions of the SNES tracks as bonus, great multiplayer linkup, coin collecting. I bought it on release and up till the ambassador release last month was still powering up the GBA for spins round Cheese Land. LOVE IT. Me and a friend did some backpacking year before last and the only entertainment we took for the month and a bit of very long train travel was two GBAs, a link cable, and Super Circuit, no word of a lie.

So up until this morning I was playing the original Metroid on my 3DS but I beat it and have lined up Return of Samus for the journey home from work. Also been playing a bit of my flatmate's Xbox 360 recently cos I found a tenner on the street, wandered into CEX, and came out with Halo 3, Prey and Lost (brilliant show, dodgiest in-game voice acting ever). Prey is good but dated, havent tried Halo 3 yet. Didnt like what I played of the original but for £3 it was worth a punt.
3DS Friend Code: 0130-1873-6926. Give me a shout if you add me!

davyK

Post by davyK » Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:12 pm

Playing Marvel Super Heroes and Sega Ages (Outrun & Space Harrier) on my NTSC Saturn. Haven't booted these up on a while and having a blast.

Black Ridge

Post by Black Ridge » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:19 pm

Played a bit of Tony Hawks 4 on the ps2. Reminded me of how much i used to love the extreme sports games. Was well into THUG, SSX Tricky etc. used to spend forever trying to rack up high scores (thats what gaming is about isnt it?)

Would also like to get a lot of EA SPORTS BIG titles again. will be playing NBA Street V3 soon as i got it cheap from GAME recently. only ever played the first in the series. Used to love NFL Street 2 aswell. Oh and Def Jam Vendetta/Fight For NY

I hear there is a new FIFA Street coming out - a football game that might actually interest me!

QuantumCrayons

Post by QuantumCrayons » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:34 pm

Zone of the Enders, after my friend told me it was great.
Pretty nice game, especially for the £2 I got it for.

Megamixer

Post by Megamixer » Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:57 pm

theantmeister wrote:
nakamura wrote:Just had a bash on Super Mario Kart.

Game is still sublime to this day. It really is the best in the series due to the sheer speed of it mixed with the track design and lack of cheating weapons like the blue shell. Time attack mode is also superb.
Abso-bloody-lutely. Nintendo got it 100% right with Super Mario Kart and have been slowly ruining the series ever since. Super Mario Kart is probably the only version (barring Super Circuit on the GBA) where driving skill counts for anything. Also, allocating specific weapons to specific characters introduces an element of strategy. You know to give Luigi a wide berth!
The DS game is my favourite so far. As I've said before, you can build up a huge lead against the computer (with skillful driving and boosts) in the highest CC meaning that blue shells/lightning won't stop you winning the races. In MK7, I find that no matter how fast and perfectly you drive, the opponents are always right behind you which should be impossible. As a multiplayer game for a laugh it's perfect but it's the first game in the series where I couldn't be bothered to battle cheap weapons/CPU in order to triple-star all of the cups in single player.

I played some MK7 yesterday and just couldn't be bothered so went back to Starfox 64 3D instead which I love. If Mario Kart hadn't been a Christmas gift, I probably would have already sold it to be honest.

____

Played some more online Soul Calibur IV yesterday and actually won a few matches this time...yay! :). The general netcode seems fine but there also seems to be a slight lag that makes guard impacting tricky to pull off. The game's been out since 2007 though so this is probably all old news.
Retro is a state of mind, and cares not for your puny concepts like dates and calendars.

pratty

Post by pratty » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:53 pm

Beyond Good and Evil on the Gamecube, this is my second playthrough.
Pratty's trade list, updated (May 2019)!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=54823

ShadowMan

Post by ShadowMan » Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:00 pm

Gave the darkness 2 demo a quick go earlier and really liked it. Quad Wielding is an awesome inclusion and it looks as though there are loads more darkness powers to unlock in the full game. I loved the comic book style of cell shading they use for the graphics as well.

Also played more ninja Gaiden sigma 2. Just beat Volf who was an incredible push over, they really did nerf the difficulty on this game but it's still a lot of fun.

Budly Moore

Post by Budly Moore » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:04 pm

Been trying to play demon souls again but it really doesn't like me playing it. Been trying to kill the boss on level 1- 2, my arrows can't scratch it, my magics the same and runs out after a few attempts anyway, my patience wears thin.

Maybe i should retry with a new character, or bury the game under the patio.

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:16 pm

Nautical Rudie wrote:
DreamcastRIP wrote:I think SMK hasn't aged at all well (ditto MK Super Circuit too, for that matter).
No way, Super Circuit is still brilliant!...
As much as I used to love the game back when it was first released Mario Kart Super Circuit just seems such a horrible jerky mess that's plagued with frame rate issues these days. I was genuinely quite shocked to see how much it had aged when I last played the game a few months ago. Some memories are best left as just that - memories.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

nakamura

Post by nakamura » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:23 pm

Frame rate issues? Can't say I have noticed any. It does look somewhat rough at times though but I find it very smooth.
http://judged-by-gabranth.blogspot.co.uk/
Antiriad2097 wrote:I have a general rule of thumb that if Nakamura likes something, it's not for me ;)

DreamcastRIP

Post by DreamcastRIP » Tue Jan 17, 2012 8:31 pm

nakamura wrote:Frame rate issues? Can't say I have noticed any. It does look somewhat rough at times though but I find it very smooth.
You've honestly not noticed how jerkily the game moves?
Last edited by DreamcastRIP on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:53 am, edited 3 times in total.
Own: Jaguar JaguarCD Lynx 7800 Dreamcast Saturn MegaDrive MegaCD 32X Nomad GameGear PS3 PS PSP WiiU Wii GameCube N64 DS GBm GBA GBC GBP GB Virtual Boy Xbox Vectrex PCE Duo-R 3DO CDi CD32 GX4000 WonderSwan NGPC Gizmondo ColecoVision iPhone PC Mac

Reglan

Post by Reglan » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:58 am

Retro Game Challenge (DS): Wow, talk about a gem of a game! I picked this up new, on sale for $13.99. You get thrown into the 1980s by some dude that sucks at modern games and to escape you have to beat whatever retro-style game challenge he presents you with. Cosmic Gate, the Galaga knockoff is a lot of fun as is Robt Ninja Haggle Man, though I'm not sure what it's supposed to me a knockoff of. I just unlocked the third game challenge, Rally King so I'll see what that's about.